Connecting Deck To Cargo Container - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Connecting Deck To Cargo Container

Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Plain In Maine

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 190

Connecting Deck To Cargo Container

Well, here it goes:

I have been "helping" a homeowner build his house for over a year, of his own design and construction techniques, when I have time. I showed up on the job after the first floor was done and noticed that he had inserted (2) cargo containers into his house, both of which are visilbe from the outside - I was speechless (this was a year ago and the containers were already in place when I agreed to 'help" him). This is a two story house that is mostly framed "normal" otherwise. He has had window openings cut into it and now he had a door opening cut into it and wants a deck off of it.

Anyone ever try this before? Part of me doesn't even want to touch it. I am hoping that I can bolt a ledger to the foundation wall but I haven't seen the opening yet. If I need to go right to the steel, then I will end up up with many questions. These containers have caused nothing but framing nightmares and this one tops them all.

Groan.....
"I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" -The Bible

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Re: Connecting Deck To Cargo Container

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Laws View Post
Well, here it goes:

I have been "helping" a homeowner build his house for over a year, of his own design and construction techniques, when I have time. I showed up on the job after the first floor was done and noticed that he had inserted (2) cargo containers into his house, both of which are visilbe from the outside - I was speechless (this was a year ago and the containers were already in place when I agreed to 'help" him). This is a two story house that is mostly framed "normal" otherwise. He has had window openings cut into it and now he had a door opening cut into it and wants a deck off of it.

Anyone ever try this before? Part of me doesn't even want to touch it. I am hoping that I can bolt a ledger to the foundation wall but I haven't seen the opening yet. If I need to go right to the steel, then I will end up up with many questions. These containers have caused nothing but framing nightmares and this one tops them all.

Groan.....
Them containers are built really well, I have had one at my store for years we use for storage, 40' x 8' x 8'. Think you should be able to use the container as the meat and sandwich some 2x8's on both sides, the bread, and bolt it together.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to killerdecks For This Useful Post:
EthanB (09-17-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

Jason, I am Really , Really, Really, wanting to see a picture of this !!!

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Hyatt For This Useful Post:
asevereid (09-14-2015), JAH (09-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Plain In Maine

As far as pictures go, I live in rural Northern Maine and I still use a dial-up connection. On Friday I should be upgrading to a new broadband connection that is new to my area, so if that works, I will try to post some pictures.

I do wonder how strong a steel to wood connection would be with the door opening - the opposite end is where the doors used to be. Could the container rack at all? And the second floor is is bearing on that yet, although it is a gable end.
"I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" -The Bible
Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: exterior carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,770

Quote:
I do wonder how strong a steel to wood connection would be with the door opening - the opposite end is where the doors used to be. Could the container rack at all? And the second floor is is bearing on that yet, although it is a gable end.
Might be a prepper guy.

First understand what those containers are built for...and what to withstand.

I'd built off of them without a worry.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

If you're that concerned, build it freestanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimelessQuality For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-14-2015), deckman22 (09-15-2015), parkers5150 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Plain In Maine

What is a prepper guy?

Anyway, thanks for all of your thoughts so far. I know that he won't go for a freestanding deck, so I will have to attach it or pass.

I know that cargo containers are very rugged but just wondered if their strength changes with the openings he put in.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
Pro

Built right, the freestanding will look the same as a ledger install

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 09-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Plain In Maine

I don't disagree with you at all on a freestanding deck. This is simply a customer who will never pay for anything different that what he has already made up his mind to do. I win some and lose some. I'm just helping him along with his "creation".... Sure isn't mine.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 6

You could weld hangers(not joist hangers) for the ledger onto the container and then bolt to them. But by far easier would be to just drill holes in container and thru bolt the ledger to the container with some type of backing block on the interior.
Can't wait for pics.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
... But by far easier would be to just drill holes in container and thru bolt the ledger to the container with some type of backing block on the interior.....
I concur.. call it the KillerDeck Sandwich

Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
You could weld hangers(not joist hangers) for the ledger onto the container and then bolt to them. But by far easier would be to just drill holes in container and thru bolt the ledger to the container with some type of backing block on the interior.
Can't wait for pics.
If you're drilling into that bottom frame edge, she ain't ever going anywhere.
You don't need to drill into the heavy but weaker side sheeting.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

still haven't repaired a torn or dislocated tendon/ligament i suffered last year from drilling into a cargo container!!!! That bit catches every time on the bottom of the hole in that thick steel. I get at least one painful reminder each week
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkers5150 View Post
still haven't repaired a torn or dislocated tendon/ligament i suffered last year from drilling into a cargo container!!!! That bit catches every time on the bottom of the hole in that thick steel. I get at least one painful reminder each week
I lost a fingernail drilling flat steel.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Plain In Maine

I have broken more than a few drill bits working in the containers - I told him he needs to provide the bits. The steel is so thick my bits don't even work. He had me at one point building walls inside them againist the exterior insides of the walls, to put insulation in, run wires and to mirror the window and door openings. I showed up today and he had (2) more window openings and a door opening cut out. Part of one of the containers is going to be a bathroom. He also wants me to lay a subflloor through out both containers, level with the house subfloor (both containers open into the house and into each other).

I think he said that we are going build stairs at the opening now - that may change by tomorrow :-) I think to the grade from the opening is at least 10' - haven't wanted to measure yet.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
Deck Parts Retailer

CONTAINERS ARE CHEAP 40 X 8 X 8 320 SQ FT W/8' CEILINGS, you can get them delivered to you for 2500,

that would be 3200 sq ft for 25k

They can be buried, stacked, coupled together, they are designed to with stand the salt water on the oceans in open container ships, they are water proof, I think they are a great building material.

there are 10's of thousands of these things in this country due to trade imbalance
Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
John Hyatt

Trade: out door areas, decks,spa room additions,fire pits
Rewards Points: 3,910

That sounds pretty good ! if a person can get around the look of the things.

Like living in a steel box ?? , hard for me to show any love.

J.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Deck Parts Retailer

I think they would be good buried in the ground.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I have broken more than a few drill bits working in the containers - I told him he needs to provide the bits. The steel is so thick my bits don't even work. He had me at one point building walls inside them againist the exterior insides of the walls, to put insulation in, run wires and to mirror the window and door openings. I showed up today and he had (2) more window openings and a door opening cut out. Part of one of the containers is going to be a bathroom. He also wants me to lay a subflloor through out both containers, level with the house subfloor (both containers open into the house and into each other).

I think he said that we are going build stairs at the opening now - that may change by tomorrow :-) I think to the grade from the opening is at least 10' - haven't wanted to measure yet.
Get him to pay for boron bits.
Nothing wastes time and energy like drilling with bits that don't cut.

Don't rule out furring the walls and using adhesives.
Some really strong stuff out there now, and easy to apply.

Sounds like an interesting project.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 6

I would not feel ok gluing a ledger
board to a shipping container. Even if I was in ME.

Advertisement