Butting Trex Boards To Picture Border Have A Lip - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Butting Trex Boards To Picture Border Have A Lip

Old 11-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 392

Butting Trex Boards To Picture Border Have A Lip

Is it just me, why do the ends of Trex boards that are butted up to a picture border (or parting board or anything for that matter) tend to have a lip bending up? Is it because the Trex boards naturally curl up for the last 6" or so of each board? Any tips to circumvent this issue? How do you keep them perfectly level?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,908

Re: Butting Trex Boards To Picture Border Have A Lip

Calidecks has a thread going about a deck over a steep grade. In there he shows how he leaves his blocking a hair high to account for the face screws pulling the border boards down tighter

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rblakes1 For This Useful Post:
pathbuilder (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 792

I just put clips on the ends and it sucks it down pretty close. But I can't stand working with Trex clips...I like their boards better, but AZEK is a better fastner system in my limited experience.

I will also say that their infill kit in their rail system is a pain in the arse and the AZEK rails are so much better in regards to installation. Too many pieces and they are too tight.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 15,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathbuilder View Post
Is it just me, why do the ends of Trex boards that are butted up to a picture border (or parting board or anything for that matter) tend to have a lip bending up? Is it because the Trex boards naturally curl up for the last 6" or so of each board? Any tips to circumvent this issue? How do you keep them perfectly level?

If you are having issues with a bend on the end of deck boards, it's usually due to either your supplier or your suppliers supplier.

It has everything to do with how they stack them. My guess is the ends are catching on each other when stacked side by side. The stuff likes to keep its shape if left a certain way in the heat and cold.

Having visited the Trex plant, I can tell you how it comes out of the factory and how it gets stored, moved and removed are two different things.

Mike.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Quote:

And not sure of your climate, but a few hours in the sun causes that stuff to soften quite a bit.

Mike.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,872

You could Cortex screw down the ends of the boards instead of using clips.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (11-28-2018)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,840

went back to a trex deck I built .The buts all have a small raised area just at the edge .I had put dominos /sipo at some joints for alignment .
called trex ,he says the ends do not raise or such .he did not know what a domino .felt my issue had to be due to the domino .I was good for that till i thought it through .If domino caused it to expand it would be more likely were the domino is placed ,not evenly across the whole edge .On further inspection I have this happening at every joint not just the few with domino's.Most of my joints the boards were cut or trimmed so wouldn't that nix the "how it had been stacked idea" .It looks more like swelling to me .
also if I recall my joints were all butted tight .within a couple weeks or less space started showing up between buts .I believe they are all gapped less then an 1/8" .deck is not in direct sun .some of it never sees sun .

Last edited by JFM constr; 01-08-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
went back to a trex deck I built .The buts all have a small raised area just at the edge .I had put dominos /sipo at some joints for alignment .
called trex ,he says the ends do not raise or such .he did not know what a domino .felt my issue had to be due to the domino .I was good for that till i thought it through .If domino caused it to expand it would be more likely were the domino is placed ,not evenly across the whole edge .On further inspection I have this happening at every joint not just the few with domino's.Most of my joints the boards were cut or trimmed so wouldn't that nix the "how it had been stacked idea" .It looks more like swelling to me .
also if I recall my joints were all butted tight .within a couple weeks or less space started showing up between buts .I believe they are all gapped less then an 1/8" .deck is not in direct sun .some of it never sees sun .

Don't use butt joints. Problem solved.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Quote:

Thousands of trex deck boards. Never seen one with an end swollen. Not once heard of it either.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Quote:

Sun isn't what causes gaps. Cold weather does. Especially in the shade. You should know that if your building with composite.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Don't use butt joints. Problem solved.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Sun isn't what causes gaps. Cold weather does. Especially in the shade. You should know that if your building with composite.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Quote:
far as i can tell ever end has this happening .some of those end up on an edge .all are have this little curl .

Only on your deck. That's what's interesting.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Quote:
interesting .you do realize i am in north bay area .though we do get down in the 30ts .

But you claimed it shouldn't have opened up because it's never in the sun. I agreed. It shouldn't open up because of the sun.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
here

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

Gaps happen even here. Depending on the temperature at the install.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:55 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Quote:
far as i can tell ever end has this happening .some of those end up on an edge .all are have this little curl .

Please send pictures.

Mike.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 392

Here's a pic of a deck about a month after install. Ends butted to parting board. At install, everything was flush. I attribute the PT moving. Cortex on these ends helped. We now install ladder framing slightly proud, thanks Mike to your suggestion in your steep slope post.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to pathbuilder For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Here's a pic of a deck about a month after install. Ends butted to parting board. At install, everything was flush. I attribute the PT moving. Cortex on these ends helped. We now install ladder framing slightly proud, thanks Mike to your suggestion in your steep slope post.

Need to run a planer down the edges of the ladders before you start because the perpendicular boards can be high when they are over the top of the blocks. It takes literally 20 second.

Mike.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:

The pressure treated is a huge problem when it comes to shrinkage. Need to keep it in mind on every application.

Mike.

Advertisement