Anyone Ever Used Cumaru Decking ? - Decks & Fencing - Contractor Talk

Anyone Ever Used Cumaru Decking ?

Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Trade: Deck and Porch
Rewards Points: 95

Anyone Ever Used Cumaru Decking ?

Have a client who wants to use cumaru decking both grooved and T&G on a screen porch. We've never used it so looking for opinions and experiences with this product. I've read some reviews ( 1 real bad) so i'm hesitant.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 30

Re: Anyone Ever Used Cumaru Decking ?

I've used it a couple of times. Very similar to Ipe so be expected to pre-drill all fasteners. Also I've had several call backs due to the wood splitting due to movement.

Both installations were face screwed so I'm not sure about hidden fasteners. I'd be skeptical of them due to the movement/twisting in the wood

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 14,562

It's beautiful stuff just a bit softer than ipe. I've used a lot and love the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_2990.jpg   Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_3323.jpg   Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_2991.jpg   Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_2993.jpg   Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_2994.jpg  

Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_2996.jpg  
Calidecks (02-22-2020), deckman22 (02-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 4,736

It does move more than ipe. Acclimate well prior to install and use good fasteners not HFS and you should be fine.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 946

How do you acclimate wood for an exterior environment? Not trying to be a smartass, but if you have a secret, I want it.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
How do you acclimate wood for an exterior environment? Not trying to be a smartass, but if you have a secret, I want it.
Stack it in the shade with sticks between rows for airflow for a week or two prior to install.

If the material has been setting in a local yard for some time it should be good to go. Many times hardwood decking comes in containers from a different locale thus the need to adjust to local climate.

Good yards will keep their hardwood under roof stacked with sticks.
Dirtywhiteboy (02-25-2020), Tinstaafl (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 946

Makes sense, and that's what I do with PT under ideal circumstances, but I still question how effective that is in an area like the NE, where RH can swing from 15-20% to 80-90% for weeks or even months at a time.

Admittedly I've never worked with any exotics. Expectations aren't all that high with PT SYP.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 14,562

This ipe did not get acclimated!! It went down very wet. Shriveled up like a banana skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone ever used cumaru decking ?-img_20160523_172039843.jpg  
deckman22 (02-26-2020), Tinstaafl (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,734

Cumaru moves a lot. I've found the biggest thing with Ipe is making sure there isnt any standing water underneath it. I have one from 2011 or so that still looks awesome and its 3" from the ground.

I, personally, am not a big fan of cumaru. The thicker material (5/4) seemed to help the movement problem a lot. Also, a joist every 12" helps. Sure it can easily span 16" but the more connections the better.
deckman22 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,658

I think a lot of it has to do with the climate. A wood deck in Arizona is going to react differently than one in Florida.

Mike.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Cumaru moves a lot. I've found the biggest thing with Ipe is making sure there isnt any standing water underneath it. I have one from 2011 or so that still looks awesome and its 3" from the ground.

I, personally, am not a big fan of cumaru. The thicker material (5/4) seemed to help the movement problem a lot. Also, a joist every 12" helps. Sure it can easily span 16" but the more connections the better.
When I worked for AWDS they were getting 3/4" cumaru. After quite a few failures, twisting, cupping, all the bad wood behaviors they quit carrying it, 5/4 only. That was 2006.

Rob makes a good point here. Most wood movement problems are due to moisture underneath. If you have hot sun above, it will cause it to cup for example. So when doing low to the ground decks make sure you have good drainage and proper ventilation. John Hyatt turned me on to the use of floor grates to achieve this on low to the ground decks on inside corners. Air movement is key.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 6,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckman22 View Post
When I worked for AWDS they were getting 3/4" cumaru. After quite a few failures, twisting, cupping, all the bad wood behaviors they quit carrying it, 5/4 only. That was 2006.

Rob makes a good point here. Most wood movement problems are due to moisture underneath. If you have hot sun above, it will cause it to cup for example. So when doing low to the ground decks make sure you have good drainage and proper ventilation. John Hyatt turned me on to the use of floor grates to achieve this on low to the ground decks on inside corners. Air movement is key.
I've only messed with cumaru a handful of times and didn't care for it a bunch. Especially when you get a mixed lot. Theres the dark red and the champagne color and if you don't have a reputable distributor your going to get HUGE variations in color. If you like that, its fine or if you have a distributor who is willing to give all one color but I'm betting you have to pay up for that (look at the differences in between yellow and red cumaru).

I'm about to do my last low to ground deck ever. I start it next week. I only really like shop work now but these have been great clients and I did their other two.

It's tigerwood and Ipe. I'm a big fan of Tigerwood, I think it's gorgeous. Especially when done right.

If I want dark wood I think I'd just go Ipe. If it's your first exotic deck, I think I'd be pretty damn careful about how to install it. For sure I'd make sure it has great drainage and cross ventilation. It's a tricky bitch.

Advertisement