Update! Vindication Is Mine! - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Update! Vindication Is Mine!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Renovation contractor, finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 500

Update! Vindication Is Mine!

This is an update for all of you that ofered your electrical opinion about the homeowner that had the faulty light only after I installed their window.
I got a call from the H.O. apologizing for blaming me for damaging his wiring. He left me a voice mail telling me that he took my advise and hired an electrician who diagnosed the problem. Appearently the H.O bought a bad batch of light bulbs. Tried three new bulbs and decided that I was to blame for his problems. So it appears that we are not crazy, and we didn't "use super long screws that hit the wires in the wall". It must have been hard for him to call and admit he was wrong, nice to hear some positive things once and a while. Just thought I would pass this along. Thanks again for your thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashcon For This Useful Post:
DavidC (01-11-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

Re: Update! Vindication Is Mine!

I'm glad that worked out for you.

I had a similar situation this summer. Did a major basement remodel that inlcuded installing a sewage pit/pump for a new bathroom, laundry room, and bar.

2 days after new carpet is in and I am going to finish up trim I get to the job and find a very unhappy customer. The sewage pit had backed up.

After taking the pump out (gross job) I discover that the HO's gf or daugther had thrown 6-10 blue "shop clothes" in the toilet - which then jammed the pump.

Man, was his face red when I showed him the problem!!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 890

AWESOME!

As you could see from the responses to your thread, that was the only thing we could come up with. Very cool.
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler

Aaah! Vindication is OURS!

Feels great, dunnit? Here, have a cigar.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Aaah! Vindication is OURS!

Feels great, dunnit? Here, have a cigar.
Doesn't it feel great when that happens?

Fellow contractors (even trade to trade) on this site is really what it's all about!
Tinstaafl (12-12-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Pro

Yeah it does feel great, all to often we eat s**t and do extras for no $$$ all the while smiling and thanking them for letting us do the work. Once in a great while it is nice to have some one let you know that they were wrong and that you are appreatiated. Now I have to decide if I want to return to install his other two windows.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenter/remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcon View Post
Now I have to decide if I want to return to install his other two windows.
Although I didn't catch the other thread, I think you are in a good position to do more work for this person. Customers willing to own up to their mistakes are rare and this client may be more careful in the future when trying to play the blame game, especially with you. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Pro

Ashcon, go back and install his other windows.

Here's where you will set yourself apart from the others. "Don't say to the HO-I told you so" He'll be expecting it. Say nothing about the "misunderstanding"

You will turn yourself from a diamond in the rough to the jewel very quickly.

Referrals will follow-GUARANTEED

Nice job!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
Ashcon, go back and install his other windows.

Here's where you will set yourself apart from the others. "Don't say to the HO-I told you so" He'll be expecting it. Say nothing about the "misunderstanding"

You will turn yourself from a diamond in the rough to the jewel very quickly.

Referrals will follow-GUARANTEED

Nice job!

RS,
I Agree! Yes, this is the time to show some class to the customer. Instead of saying nothing, a great respone would be to say that "I'm happy to hear that you got the problem solved."
The Following User Says Thank You to Doubleoh7 For This Useful Post:
Zinsco (12-24-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

Somewhere a Chinese child factory laborer in a dark light bulb factory is being beaten.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Pro

This is one of my install contracts, the office is begging me to install these other two windows. I probably will its $$$ I will however make it a big show to the office that I am doing them a favour. The HO asked the original installer to leave and we got the call to fix his work. I found product issues with the two windows in question so i asked for them to be replaced. There was a lag in the delivery but they were eager to get the other four windows installed so we went out. They will however be getting a bill for going back for the second trip. The homeowner is one of those guys you need to mock up everything before he decides what it is that he wants. What a PITA, but like I said the office will be happy for mw to do the work, and one day when I screw up there is a good chance they will help me out. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #12

Trade: general contractor/carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

It happens to us all, the customer is ready to place the blame on the contractor. I guess they think we can absorb the cost or it could not have been anything they did to cause whatever problem that develops as soon as we step in the door. As a 30+ yr GC my plumber installed a lower level waste pump for the bathroom we built. A month later it stopped working and of course she was hot and ready to blame us. I gladly sent my guys out and they found her fifteen yr old boy had jambed it up by flushing his condoms down the toilet and them getting caught in the impeller...Boy was she embarrassed....but not nearly as much as her son when I was the one to tell him....
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Baltimore Electrician

Trade: Electrician

[quote=Pennyroyal's;839771 I gladly sent my guys out and they found her fifteen yr old boy had jambed it up by flushing his condoms down the toilet and them getting caught in the impeller...Boy was she embarrassed....but not nearly as much as her son when I was the one to tell him....[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic
Deny Everything, Admit Nothing, Demand Proof
Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Solar/Electrical
Rewards Points: 166

I installed solar on a house recently and was blamed when their power went out. It was a downed line and the whole neighborhood was out.

One time I installed solar and "then" they had trouble with a light. It took me a while to find out that the light was wired in their attic with just wires twisted together, out in the open, no wire nut, no tape, no nothing.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

That's good one, did it worked finally?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Pro

Happy new year to all! Well we went back to this house on Fri. last We installed the last two windows. .... The H.O. signed off still complaining about the original installer(which we had nothing to do with). Well hopefully everything is settled and I won't have to go back ever.
Thanks every one for your input. If nothing else we made it clear that we are professional and now the office staff owes me, for cleaning up someone elses mess!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcon View Post
If nothing else we made it clear that we are professional and now the office staff owes me, for cleaning up someone elses mess!
Not only that, you've probably endeared yourself so much to the HO that he'll demand your personal services any time in the future that he needs anything.

Advertisement