Suggestions For Converting Existing Exterior Home Lights Into Motion Sensing Setup - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Suggestions For Converting Existing Exterior Home Lights Into Motion Sensing Setup

Old 04-14-2019, 01:19 AM   #1
Learn-Build-Enjoy

Trade: Carpentry and Landscaping
Rewards Points: 142

Suggestions For Converting Existing Exterior Home Lights Into Motion Sensing Setup

What would be the easiest and most cost effective way to turn my existing home exterior lights into an automatic motion sensor lighting system?

The lights are somewhat useless in my opinion when they do not automatically turn on when coming home at night and for security reasons.

I would prefer not to change the light fixtures, because they are fairly new and look great. I also want to add a couple more lights to the same circuit for front yard walkway area.

There are 3 light fixtures on the outside all connected to one light switch in the main entrance foyer.
I am wondering if there is some sort of exterior grade motion sensor that I can wire into the light switch that will turn all the lights on that circuit on.
I have also seen some motion sensing light bulbs on the market.

Would love to read your suggestions.
Thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Re: Suggestions For Converting Existing Exterior Home Lights Into Motion Sensing Setup

Just google "outdoor motion sensor switch".

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,319

Re: Suggestions For Converting Existing Exterior Home Lights Into Motion Sensing Setup

They make photo cell "sockets"---unscrew bulb, screw in adapter socket, screw bulb back in, turn on power. Dawn to dusk though, no adjustment of time possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to rescraft For This Useful Post:
ASidhu (04-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,101

You can add the motion detector to an existing light. But you are going to lose that "look" you so like right now because it's going to have the dangley detector hanging below the light.

https://www.google.com/search?client...etector+sensor
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Learn-Build-Enjoy

Trade: Carpentry and Landscaping
Rewards Points: 142

My light switch is inside. I am wondering if there is a motion sensor device that I can put outside and wire it to my switch in a manner that it will trigger the switch and turn the lights on.

(I wouldn't be asking here in the forum if I already found what I am looking for on google search )

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,101

Some of them will turn on and off by the way you toggle the switch. Turn it on and off twice in one second and it will leave the light on permanently. Do it again and it will turn it into a motion detector. Leave the switch off and it's off permanently.

Most of them will do this.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
ASidhu (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidhu View Post
My light switch is inside. I am wondering if there is a motion sensor device that I can put outside and wire it to my switch in a manner that it will trigger the switch and turn the lights on.

(I wouldn't be asking here in the forum if I already found what I am looking for on google search )

Thanks.
You can add a motion sensor to each light, and leave the inside light switch "on' all the time.

Or add motion sensor bulbs to each fixture, and again, leave the inside switch "on" all the time.

Or add one strategically-placed motion sensor for the entire circuit (tap into the circuit), and then all the light will come on when you trip it.

Note that once you do these, you're going to be relying on motion to turn them on. No more "we'll leave the light on for ya".

Another alternative: install separate lighting (not operated by that switch) that is motion-activated. You could run power off another outlet inside.

Last edited by MarkJames; 04-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
ASidhu (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidhu View Post
There are plenty, but you don't use them to "trigger" the switch. Leave the switch turned on, and install the sensor between the switch and the wire(s) feeding the lights.

Plenty to choose from here:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outdoor+m...b_sb_ss_i_1_24
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
ASidhu (04-14-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,319

https://www.homedepot.com/s/screw%25...adapter?NCNI-5

Advertisement