Shop Lighting? - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Shop Lighting?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #1

Trade: Odds and Ends
Rewards Points: 10

Shop Lighting?

Just completed the footings, stem walls, and concrete floor on my 30'x50'shop. The walls are going to be 14' with sissor tusses, and it will be insulated and heated. What lights would you all recommend putting up?

And, no problems yet getting my CT can put on the shop to supply the power to the house and shop. (I payed $4.10 an amp for hook up.) Lots of power living next to the Columbia River, so no issues with permits, just a little higher priced inicially for the 600 amp service.

Please don't bash me on the amp over kill.

Semper Fi, Grant

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Inactive California C-7

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Shop Lighting?

wow 600 amp...if you were in california, you would have the pot growers looking at your house...if it's going to be a shop, nice flourescent strips???

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

14 feet is a bit low for low-bay lights, in my opinion. I'd probably also recommend fluorescent strips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I would use some decorative sconces and a couple of table lamps. They will create great mood lighting when your ripping a piece of rough stock on the table saw
Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #5

Thanks guys.

8' flourescents I assume? Any recommendations on brands to get/stay away from?

No pot here, never touched the stuff, other than evidentiary purposes. I get my high in the mountains every fall chacing elk with the bow.

Semper Fi

Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
8' flourescents I assume? Any recommendations on brands to get/stay away from?
When you're into the 8 footers, most anything on the market will suit. I'd highly recommend the 8 foot T8 fixtures. Whether you need 2-lamp fixtures or 4-lamp fixtures will depend on the size of the building, the work to be performed, and the budget. In any event, consider the 8 foot T8 fixtures to be what you want. It would be nice if it had a good brand ballast in the fixture (this is what you look for) such as Advance, and not some imported Chinese junk from Heng Shen Heavy Industries.

What are the dimensions of the building? Which direction does the ridge run? What are the highest and lowest dimensions of the ceiling height (you mentioned scissors trusses, so I'm guessing it's higher in the middle). I can do a quick proposed layout for you if you want.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #7

mdshunk

The dimensions are 30 by 50 and the ridge runs length wise. All four walls are 14 feet scissor trussed up to around 18 feet (inside). Purpose; misc. hobbies. A quick proposed layout would be appreciated.

The wife and I lived in Laurel, MD for a couple of years in the '90's. Used to tear the small mouth up in July near Harpers Ferry using top water.

Semper Fi.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Service & Repairs

Hoorah, brother! And welcome to the forum!!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
DGR,IABD

Here's my proposition. About 1200 bucks in fixtures and lamps. Don't know if that's in your budget or not.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Service & Repairs

So are we using the 4 lamp fixtures up high to accomadate the height by the ridge board?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
So are we using the 4 lamp fixtures up high to accomadate the height by the ridge board?
That's sorta what I had in mind. That will keep the footcandles pretty even along the working plane. Three lamp strips would have been more ideal, but they don't seem to make those in T8 strips, and 3 lamp strips are always more expensive than 4 lamp fixtures. The other option would have been two strips of 2-lamp fixtures, spaced about maybe 2 feet apart from the ridge. The cost issue caused me to propose one line of 4-lamp fixtures. It's just a workshop, where perfectly even lighting isn't super critical, so this is the closest compromise. There will still be some darker spots (well, not dark, but not even) near the ends of the building. This could be overcome by adding a 4' strip, along each end of the building between the three long rows (a total of four, 4' strips). Didn't want to go too hog-wild.

Last edited by mdshunk; 05-06-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #12

Looks and sounds great. Thanks again Mdshunk. Also see you're from PA and not MD, sorry. I'll put in some pics when things get wrapped up in June.

Magnettica, I spend 6 years active 91'-97'. The first four at the WH Communications Agency in DC, and the last two with 3/1 in Camp Pendleton, CA. Exited as a Sgt.

We've lost a lot of guys in the Corps these last few years. With all the training I've had I feel helpless and somewhat guilty not being able to fight next to my brothers.

Semper Fi
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
Service & Repairs

WARNING: OFF-TOPIC

I feel the same way. I was in the Navy Seabees, RNMCB21, Lakehurst, NJ 1990-1993. Did 6 months active duty in Saudi as part of ODS before returning to reserve duty. I got the boot (honorably discharged) when the last prez made all those cutbacks to reserves.

Now back to the originally scheduled shop lighting discussion!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #14

Semper Fi Bro.Hope you're up for May 28 and especially July 4'th .

Bob O.84,Pa.15330

Advertisement