Is Schedule 40 PVC Conduit A Good Choice (& To CA Code) For Electrical In Workshop? - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Is Schedule 40 PVC Conduit A Good Choice (& To CA Code) For Electrical In Workshop?

Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Building
Rewards Points: 58

Is Schedule 40 PVC Conduit A Good Choice (& To CA Code) For Electrical In Workshop?

I need to redo the electrical in my workshop. It is about 1400 sq ft and I am wanting to redo all of the conduit that serves the lights and plugs, etc. Currently all of the conduit is 1/2 EMT exposed metal pipe that is in poor shape.

I would like to use white schedule 40 PVC conduit (all exposed outside of the walls). I like the fact that the pipe is white and not metal for a cleaner look. Also may be easier to work with then bending metal pipe?

I'm in CA. Is this pipe OK to use and up to current code? All of the pipe would be inside the workshop and not in areas where it could be easliy damaged. Thanks for any advice!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Re: Is Schedule 40 PVC Conduit A Good Choice (& To CA Code) For Electrical In Workshop?

I believe it has to be 80

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Is Schedule 40 PVC Conduit A Good Choice (& To CA Code) For Electrical In Workshop?

Isn't electrical conduit gray?

And white schedule 40 pvc is for PLUMBING?

Last edited by Morning Wood; 09-13-2015 at 07:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (09-14-2015), C'est Moi (09-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Pro

80 is gray
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 296

40 is gray.

http://www.cantexinc.com/Products/Sc...duit/index.php

So is 80

http://www.cantexinc.com/Products/Sc...duit/index.php

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,580

We used some white pipe to sleeve a water line in stubbing up into a foundation. The inspector almost had a cow, so now we paint the exposed pipe blue. They somehow don't have a problem with that.

All the electrical pipe around here is schedule 40 but I'm in Washington, not the Soviet Republic of California.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 6

I have my primary electrical line buried under my driveway. I didn't want to use metal, so I had to use schedule 80 pvc. All fittings and couplings are still same as schedule 40
Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
We used some white pipe to sleeve a water line in stubbing up into a foundation. The inspector almost had a cow, so now we paint the exposed pipe blue. They somehow don't have a problem with that.

All the electrical pipe around here is schedule 40 but I'm in Washington, not the Soviet Republic of California.
Looked at my code check book and it doesn't even mention sch40. Can you show where it's allowed to be used?
Personally I don't see the point. Just use the 80. Not like it's more difficult to work with our much more money.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
Looked at my code check book and it doesn't even mention sch40. Can you show where it's allowed to be used?
Personally I don't see the point. Just use the 80. Not like it's more difficult to work with our much more money.

No idea, just a dirt guy. It's what the sparkies use after we dig them a hole.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
You can get both up here but all you see stocked is 40.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
I need to redo the electrical in my workshop. It is about 1400 sq ft and I am wanting to redo all of the conduit that serves the lights and plugs, etc. Currently all of the conduit is 1/2 EMT exposed metal pipe that is in poor shape.

I would like to use white schedule 40 PVC conduit (all exposed outside of the walls). I like the fact that the pipe is white and not metal for a cleaner look. Also may be easier to work with then bending metal pipe?

I'm in CA. Is this pipe OK to use and up to current code? All of the pipe would be inside the workshop and not in areas where it could be easliy damaged. Thanks for any advice!
They sell white schedule 40 for plumbing because it is liquid pressure and potability rated.

They sell schedule 40/80 for electrical because it is UL rated for line voltages/current leakage.

After its installed and inspected, you can paint it tiddy pink, if that is what gets you all jiggly.

EDIT: "because it is UL/NEMA/NEC rated.."

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 09-13-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 550

There is white schedule 40 which is for plumbing and not approved for electrical. The gray schedule 40 is what you need. Not sure of the difference...

Schedule 80 would only be required if installed where the PVC is subject to damage, ie, in a yard where a weed wacker may get to it. I have never seen it required indoors but that does not mean the local inspector would allow it. I would call them but personally I would use emt. I think it would look better and hold up better.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
There is white schedule 40 which is for plumbing and not approved for electrical. The gray schedule 40 is what you need. Not sure of the difference...

Schedule 80 would only be required if installed where the PVC is subject to damage, ie, in a yard where a weed wacker may get to it. I have never seen it required indoors but that does not mean the local inspector would allow it. I would call them but personally I would use emt. I think it would look better and hold up better.
There is also low smoke PVC for plumbing that is grey, and orange for electrical.

Colour is not significant, rating is.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
There is also low smoke PVC for plumbing that is grey, and orange for electrical.

Colour is not significant, rating is.
I think the gray is a little more sunlight resistant if exposed
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Rio (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Smaller I.D. few wires can be run in the raceway.

Same temp rating for 40 & 80.

Tom
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
Pro

Eh, I always go a size or two bigger anyway. Same with j boxes. Never liked trying to pull wires through tiny conduit or cram them in small boxes.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Smaller I.D. few wires can be run in the raceway.

Same temp rating for 40 & 80.

Tom
Here all electrical conduit has the same ID.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #18
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 550

Quote:
I always wondered why they made the I.D. of conduit different sizes depending on the type. Here 1/2" emt has a different I.D. then 1/2" Pvc etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,264

Are you going to buy white 90's and boxes too?

Last edited by Big Shoe; 09-14-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
The OD of 40 & 80 are the same, the wall of 80 is thicker than the wall of 40. How can the ID be the same?

In the NEC, Chapter 1, Table 9 lists the ID of 1/2" Sch 80 as 13.4mm/0.526", Sch 40 1/2" is listed as 15.3mm/0.602.

1/2" EMT is 15.8mm/0.622 ID, 1/2" IMC is 16.8/0.660. 1/2" RMC is 16.1/0.632

I see them as all different, not the same.

Tom

Advertisement

Last edited by tjbnwi; 09-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.