No-hum Multi-fan Speed Control? Does It EXIST? - Electrical - Contractor Talk

No-hum Multi-fan Speed Control? Does It EXIST?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

No-hum Multi-fan Speed Control? Does It EXIST?

OK, been doing my homework before wasting anybody's time here... I've got 2 ceiling fans wired to 1 speed control. Of course, 1 of the fans hums.

The fan control company said it's loose motor windings on the one fan, it's normal. They make a "de-hummer" for ONE-fan installs, but not multi.

Hunter (fan) said that you CAN have no-hum operation of multiple fans (on one controller), but it must be CAPCITOR-DRIVEN (not solid-state), and probably has to be a STEPPED control (not variable.) They don't sell such a thing, and don't know if anyone does.

I've googled tons... no one makes one that I can find. And not many people talking about solutions they have found either, just some patents.

Does anyone know is such a thing exists? Or what can be done? Because at this point, the hum is not acceptable, and I'll just wire the fans to a switch & use the pull chains for speed adjustments (not what I WANT to do, but I refuse to deal with the hum.)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Re: No-hum Multi-fan Speed Control? Does It EXIST?

Ceiling fans are driven by an induction motor & usually are 3 speeds. When you pull the chain it just changes the taps on the motor-giving you the speeds. Using a "light" dimmer to control the speed changes the voltage going up there, so it doesn't co-inside with the Speed settings of the 3 position switch that changes the "taps" on the motor. Therefore, the waveform is altered causing frequency changes that make the coils of the fan motor to Hum. You should not use a Dimmer. If you are determined to use a dimmer-make sure you always have the fan switch on Hi.
If you want more control of the ceiling fan you should buy one with a remote control........

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Got all that... I'm not using a "dimmer", I'm using a fan speed control. It is a VARIABLE fan speed control, and works like a dimmer, and Hunter said a "stepped" (off, slow, med, fast) control might solve the problem, but I can't find one with a high enough amp rating for 2 fans.

I don't need a variable control, a stepped control would be fine. I just wanted to be able to control the speed... of TWO fans... from the wall box, with no hum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #4

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Try Emerson website. They have fan speed controllers for multiple fans. have used them in the past in commercial applications. I believe they have some listed up to 10amp. Keep in mind you might need more than single gang box to achieve this i.e. fan + light.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Service & Repairs

Rewards Points: 2,002

I don't think the control device has anything to do with the humming. It has to do with the a bad fan. I suggest replacing the fan.

Btw, is the fan speed control rated for (amperage wise) for 2 fans? It should have a wattage or amperage rating on the device.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #6

The one I have is rated for 6 amps, and specifically says it is for multiple fans.

So, the fan control company says it's a bad fan.

The Fan company says you need a capacitor-driven non-variable (stepped) speed control.

Which is it?

I know the fan that is now humming was NOT humming before- when I had the fans simply hardwired in, using the pullchains to turn on/off & control speed. They were still wired togather, the only difference was in the wall box I just wired the leads together for constant power, because I hadn't received the 6A fan control yet. I could turn them both on high, no humming. Only when the fan control was brought into the equation did the hum occur- and then in only ONE of the fans.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
I don't think the control device has anything to do with the humming. It has to do with the a bad fan. I suggest replacing the fan.

Btw, is the fan speed control rated for (amperage wise) for 2 fans? It should have a wattage or amperage rating on the device.

Good luck.
Apparently you have not worked on, or installed many ceiling fans or many variable speed motors !!!! It definatley has something to do with the Hum as what I stated in my Reply to the Post. Also "Replace" is Cop-out before troubleshooting it !!!!!! Anyone can say the fan is bad !!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
The one I have is rated for 6 amps, and specifically says it is for multiple fans.

The Fan company says you need a capacitor-driven non-variable (stepped) speed control.

Which is it?

I know the fan that is now humming was NOT humming before- when I had the fans simply hardwired in, using the pullchains to turn on/off & control speed. They were still wired togather, the only difference was in the wall box I just wired the leads together for constant power, because I hadn't received the 6A fan control yet. I could turn them both on high, no humming. Only when the fan control was brought into the equation did the hum occur- and then in only ONE of the fans.
Isn't this what I said in my reply ?? I don't believe the fan is bad as another reply said-especially two of them !
Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Service & Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Apparently you have not worked on, or installed many ceiling fans or many variable speed motors !!!! It definatley has something to do with the Hum as what I stated in my Reply to the Post. Also "Replace" is Cop-out before troubleshooting it !!!!!! Anyone can say the fan is bad !!
Do you really think that after 19 years of doing mostly residential (service and addition work) that I don't know about ceiling fans?

Seriously.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Service & Repairs

Quote:

Which is it?

Either a bad fan or a bad speed control.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Service & Repairs

Q: are both fans set to the same pullchain speed?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,718

It would be easy to both check the fans for proper function, as well as make sure they are on the same pullchain speed.

Turn the power off, and bypass the speed control. Turn the power back on and see if the fans work as expected, using the pullchain to cycle through all the speeds. If they seem to work OK, then leave them on their highest speed, and turn the power back off and reinstall the wall control.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #13

just to clear things up:

I bought 2 identical fans

I installed them. I already had done the wiring so that both fans would be controlled by 1 speed control in the wall box. (not sure if this is called "series" wiring or "parallel" wiring)

The speed control had not arrived, so in the wall box I simply wire nutted the 2 leads that would normally go to the speed control together, so the fan motors would be powered and I would use the pull chains to turn on/off.

Both fans worked perfectly & silently.

The fan control arrived. It is a variable speed control. LIKE a dimmer, but not a dimmer. It is a fan speed control rated for 6 amps. I installed it to the 2 leads in the wall box, and 1 of the fans HUMS.

Both fan pullchains are set to their highest speed, as the fan control instructions stated.

At this point, I'm putting in a single pole switch, setting the fan pullchains to low or med, and that's it. I can't live with the hum. I've been told & have read that when you have MULTIPLE fans on a VARIABLE speed control, this happens. It's "normal". Hunter suggested a stepped control (one with 4 positions: off, high, med, low) MIGHT solve the issue. But I can't find one rated for at least 4 amps.

I don't think it's a "bad fan". When the fans were powered up (with no speed control in the wall box) they both ran silently, at all speeds.

I've read about some kind of switch called an "X10", but it requires a neutral, and I'm running power thru the fixtures, therefore the wall box does not contain a neutral.

Last edited by ruger9; 04-03-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Why not install remote control (RF) switches for both fans?

Put in a simple SP switch, and set the DIP switches in each fan to different settings. They don't hum, at least the ones I've put in.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #15

That remote isn't on Hunter's website. How does it work- does the "receiver" go in the wall box, then you point the remote at the wall box?

The Hunter remote that ARE on their website are only rated for 2.0 amps max- I need 4 amps.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
That remote isn't on Hunter's website. How does it work- does the "receiver" go in the wall box, then you point the remote at the wall box?

The Hunter remote that ARE on their website are only rated for 2.0 amps max- I need 4 amps.
The receiver goes in the fan canopy.

You have a fan that pulls 4 amps?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #17

No. I have TWO fans (this thread is about a multi-fan installation being controlled with only ONE controller), each pulls 1.65A. So I need a control that can handle 3.3A, (4A) minimum.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 998

Quote:
No. I have TWO fans (this thread is about a multi-fan installation being controlled with only ONE controller), each pulls 1.65A. So I need a control that can handle 3.3A, (4A) minimum.
Buy two of those remotes. The receiver goes inside the fan canopy. Set both receivers to the same code, if you wish, and you can then control both fans with a single control.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...cshop/wes4.jpg

I use Heath/Zenith remotes for all my lights and fans. There is nothing like laying in bed and controlling your Environment!

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...678-171549.jpg

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 04-03-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...cshop/wes4.jpg

I use Heath/Zenith remotes for all my lights and fans. There is nothing like laying in bed and controlling your Environment!
i have this on my living room fan i can leave the light on by the remote and control the light with the (already existing) wall switch

Advertisement