New Commercial Job Alarm System - Electrical - Contractor Talk

New Commercial Job Alarm System

Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

New Commercial Job Alarm System

Hi all,
I am Jon and I have a couple of quick questions. I am "new" to bidding commercial jobs...and I want to know some of the rules of the road...

Do the ec's include the Fire Alarm system in their bid? Or do the gc's take seperate bids for the Fire Alarm.

If you can run a job in mc...do you bid it as mc...or do you bid it as hard pipe?

How do you determine your markup/overhead/labor percentages? Are there any set formulas...or national standards?

I am used to bidding residential jobs...however the residential market isn't what it once was...so I am trying to broaden my horizons without losing...much if any money...I'd rather make money obviously...but I definately don't want to lose money... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: A/V, Renovation
Rewards Points: 250

Re: New Commercial Job Alarm System

Does your state require special licensing to install fire alarm systems?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Yes, it appears my state does require specific licensing for Fire Alarm installers...on the texas department of insurance I found the requirements for my state, I can't post a link...but if the info is needed I can copy and paste I suppose. I know the company I used to work for had other companies involved with their fire alarm systems however I didn't do any bidding for that company so I don't know the specifics... is it possible to omit the fire alarm from my bid to have the gc do that themselves? Would that hurt my chance of winning the bid? Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Service & Repairs

Rewards Points: 2,002

Each state is different when it comes to licensing for FA systems.

Someone from Texas will chime in I'm confident.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

I just found this in the blue print notes...so I am assuming that means I need to provide...or contract out the fire alarm system...

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
New Commercial Job Alarm System-note2.png  
Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/carpenter
Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonelectric View Post
Hi all,
I am Jon and I have a couple of quick questions. I am "new" to bidding commercial jobs...and I want to know some of the rules of the road...

Do the ec's include the Fire Alarm system in their bid? Or do the gc's take seperate bids for the Fire Alarm.

If you can run a job in mc...do you bid it as mc...or do you bid it as hard pipe?

How do you determine your markup/overhead/labor percentages? Are there any set formulas...or national standards?

I am used to bidding residential jobs...however the residential market isn't what it once was...so I am trying to broaden my horizons without losing...much if any money...I'd rather make money obviously...but I definately don't want to lose money... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
In the job I just finished (as a GC, not an electrical contractor) the electrician was responsible for the fire alarm. However, they just pulled the wires and subbed out the actual install to Simplex.

It should be clearly spelled out in the bid documents.

You bid things as cheap as you can and still meet the specification. If it doesn't specify something, then I would assume you are meeting code as a minimum.

Advertisement