Moving Sub Panel - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Moving Sub Panel

Old 02-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Moving Sub Panel

Moved a kitchen and bathroom wall so now need to move the sub panel approx 12-15". Really not much but all the bx to the panel was cut really tight so my only option is to extend the wires through some 4x4 boxes.

Inside the panel I have some 12ga and 14ga wires to the breakers, I also have one line that is 10ga into a 15amp breaker- I know this line controls several outlets and some lights. Somewhere between the box and those outlets it drops back down to 12 and 14's.

Can I make all my extensions using 12ga bx even the 10ga wire (since its only doing the work of a 14ga wire)? I have about 60ft of 12ga bx from another remodel, having to buy 14 and especially 10ga in a minimum roll of 25ft is crazy expensive.
Thanks guys

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 18

Re: Moving Sub Panel

You can use #12 for the whole job but the #14 circuits you extend will still need 15 A breakers max. The #10 extensions using #12 will be protected by 20 A breakers max.

Advertisement

Kastoria (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fault Current View Post
You can use #12 for the whole job but the #14 circuits you extend will still need 15 A breakers max. The #10 extensions using #12 will be protected by 20 A breakers max.
Thanks, I kinda figured I could but much rather check first. Still can't explain why #10 wire is in a 15 amp breaker to power up outlets. Just seems like a waste but whatever.

There are so many dif gauge wires from one box to the next its like he used left over scraps...there were 3, 3" pig tails in the panel to let the main reach the breaker lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

I can explain the #10 (oversize) wire, happened to me once, one of my guys screwed up.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

I stopped doing wiring for money many years ago as I am not an electrician, and my insurance doesn't cover me for doing it, even though I have wired many houses and additions over the years. Saving the homeowner a few bucks and exposing yourself to serious liability is just not worth it. If something was ever to happen that homeowner would throw you under the bus in a heart beat. jmho
Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastoria View Post
Moved a kitchen and bathroom wall so now need to move the sub panel approx 12-15". Really not much but all the bx to the panel was cut really tight so my only option is to extend the wires through some 4x4 boxes.

Inside the panel I have some 12ga and 14ga wires to the breakers, I also have one line that is 10ga into a 15amp breaker- I know this line controls several outlets and some lights. Somewhere between the box and those outlets it drops back down to 12 and 14's.

Can I make all my extensions using 12ga bx even the 10ga wire (since its only doing the work of a 14ga wire)? I have about 60ft of 12ga bx from another remodel, having to buy 14 and especially 10ga in a minimum roll of 25ft is crazy expensive.
Thanks guys
So you're doing electrical work for clients, on remodel jobs, and you are bothered that when you buy 25' rolls of #14 it costs too much????
If you are serious in doing electrical work, and you have a clue about what you're doing, just buy 250' rolls and use it on the next job like a real contractor.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka guy View Post
I stopped doing wiring for money many years ago as I am not an electrician, and my insurance doesn't cover me for doing it, even though I have wired many houses and additions over the years. Saving the homeowner a few bucks and exposing yourself to serious liability is just not worth it. If something was ever to happen that homeowner would throw you under the bus in a heart beat. jmho
THIS! This is the real answer.

Advertisement