Measuring Amps On 220v Generator Feed - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Measuring Amps On 220v Generator Feed

Old 03-23-2019, 12:31 PM  
King of Caulk

Trade: Rot warrior
Rewards Points: 170

Measuring Amps On 220v Generator Feed

I searched through old posts and got some good information. But it brought up some questions I have a good quality generator for the house (gillette 10/13 kw) I wanted to get a pair of meters to measure the amps on each leg to make sure we're not overloading it. My question revolved around how to arrive at the total draw. Seeing as this is dependent on the types of loads, and they will be mixed (fridge, water heater, range etc) I am unsure of how to measure the load (both legs added, highest leg) not concerned about getting highly accurate readings Just a reasonable picture of how close we are to the capacity of the generator.

This also made me wonder if I should be concerned about balancing the load. on each leg. I was not because the big items are all 220.

Last edited by asbestos; 03-23-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 02:27 PM  
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,200

Re: Measuring Amps On 220v Generator Feed

There are plenty of Ammeters / Voltmeters for generators on Amazon, Ebay start at $10. Just an induction coil wired to a read out.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 PM  
King of Caulk

Trade: Rot warrior
Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
There are plenty of Ammeters / Voltmeters for generators on Amazon, Ebay start at $10. Just an induction coil wired to a read out.
Yup I am getting a pair of those, one for each leg
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 PM  
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 550

I assume you are using a manual transfer switch. One way to be certain is to make sure your overcurrent protective device is not larger than what the generator can handle. If you overload it the load will trip the breaker. The other way is to just use an standard amp meter and test each leg. You could do a calculation but you would have to itemize all loads to phases A and B (yes I know that they are not truly different phases) but that is not feasible as the loads are not all on at the same time. Normally one would do a calculation.

The biggest problem you may have is with a/c or electric heat... a/c units bog down a genset a lot so depending on the size it could be an issue. 10 kw is a fairly generous size genny except in all electric houses.
The Following User Says Thank You to C'est Moi For This Useful Post:
asbestos (04-01-2019)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: