LED Ballast Disconnect - Prior Flourescent Ballast - Electrical - Contractor Talk

LED Ballast Disconnect - Prior Flourescent Ballast

Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 3,472

LED Ballast Disconnect - Prior Flourescent Ballast

Going to a ceiling mount Cooper / Metalux WNLED-WSNLED, wondering what to do with the paired whites/blacks with the common ground attached on the new fixture.

Since this disconnect only seems to accommodate single wires, must the second set for the lamp that follows be pigtailed and wire-nutted? What other way could there be to do this?

In the event the fixture needs taken down, seems the disconnect won't clear the romex connector so that would need to come off 1st in addition to the wire nuts. Is this really an efficient system?

Also, right or wrong, dealer tells me once the wires are inserted they can't be backed off. So do the wires need stripped and if so, how far roughly?

Any help valued.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Ballast Disconnect - Prior Flourescent Ballast-cooper-led-disconnect-11.29.18.jpg  

Last edited by artinall; 11-29-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,627

Re: LED Ballast Disconnect - Prior Flourescent Ballast

Usually there is a small keyway for a screwdriver to push a release so you can remove the wire. If not you buy a new connector or just cut the wire and reconnect the new with a wirenut.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
artinall (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,412

The disconnect is not there 'in case the fixture needs to be removed'. It's there to make it safe to replace the ballast withou having to shut down all the lights. If there's both a line and load in the light, they can be wire-nutted together and a pigtail taken to the disconnect.

If there's two ballasts, then they can be wire-nutted and pigtailed on the downstream side of the disconnect.
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The disconnect is not there 'in case the fixture needs to be removed'. It's there to make it safe to replace the ballast withou having to shut down all the lights. If there's both a line and load in the light, they can be wire-nutted together and a pigtail taken to the disconnect.

If there's two ballasts, then they can be wire-nutted and pigtailed on the downstream side of the disconnect.
A line and load in the light.

Is another way of saying that..."white to white" "black to black" where both the whites and blacks service this and the downstream fixture? My inexperience obviously trying to clarify (for a family favor).
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
A line and load in the light.

Is another way of saying that..."white to white" "black to black" where both the whites and blacks service this and the downstream fixture? My inexperience obviously trying to clarify (for a family favor).
"Line" is 'upstream', towards Hoover Dam. The power coming in.
"Load" is 'downstream, towards the end of the circuit and other loads.
artinall (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Pro

Got it, there's only one ballast. I'll twist and cap each onto a pigtail leading to disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
But you have me thinking on this. How can downstream be separate from Hoover Dam and the Colorado River tied right there together?

We dare not head further up toward Las Vegas Bay. Do we designate the Colorado some new and unmapped outflow?

Last edited by artinall; 11-29-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,798

Sad story--3 weeks before a very good friends daughters wedding her finances best man was electrocuted swapping a 277 volt ballast in a commercial fixture. The circuit was shut down, there was a shared neutral in the fixture. He broke the connection and that was the end of his life.

These type of incidents are the reason for the ballast connector shown in the first post. It allows you to service the ballast by simply unplugging it.

Make sure the circuit is shut down and be very carful with the neutrals.

Tom

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
artinall (11-30-2018)