Lead Shielded Cable. - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Lead Shielded Cable.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: electrician Phoenix AZ
Rewards Points: 500

Lead Shielded Cable.

Anybody ever run across lead shielded cable?

I remember reading about it during my brief stint in the IBEW apprenticship program in the early 70's and I actually came across it ONE time soon after that, installed as underground feeders to a couple of outbuildings on a rural ranch.

I never saw it again or heard anyone on the message boards mention it.

Anyone?

Just because it's against code doesn't make it unsafe.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

Re: Lead Shielded Cable.

Like you, I learned about it once in school. The teacher even brought in a sample, sort of like a show 'n tell. The MI cable was dirty and not very flexible.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Trade: Inside Wireman

I'm not sure if lead insulated is the same as Mineral Insulated (MI), but we've been installing a lot of MI cable lately being used as snowmelt for light rail platforms. It's a system made by Tyco and pretty pricey from what I heard and pretty fragile from what I've noticed.
If it's kinked it's ruined or as small as allowing an moisture to get on the 'cold joint' ends it's ruined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

There's quite a bit of lead jacketed cable in my area. Forerunner to UF cable. I normally find it run to detached garages, post lights, fountains, and other places where we'd typically run UF cable today. It sure lasted a lot longer than UF. I use a UF splice kit when I have to fit the stuff. Works okay, since the repair will last as long as the rest of the cable considering the rest of the cable is probably on its last leg.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Old School Marine

Trade: Union Journeyman Electrician
Rewards Points: 250

There is plenty of it under the sidewalks of Manhatten. But then again anything in the history of electric can be found in the city someplace.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Union Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Like Random, plenty of it in Chicago. Only time I've seen it is utility transformer vaults. Although I am working at a building (c.1913) that had a lead sheathed phone cable (about 100 pair). That, I'd never seen before. They couldn't pull it out to scrap it so they cut it flush with the floor. It was in a 2" GRC.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

We've got plenty of it at the Federal Facility I work at. In fact we purchased a 500' of 8kv 500kcmil 3 conductor PILC, 500' of 22kv 350kcmil 3 conductor gas filled PILC, and 800' of 8kv 350 kcmil 3 conductor PILC last year. Splicing lead cable is somewhat of an art form.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
listen twice talk once!

Trade: electrician

The recent death of a la firemen that you can read about in one of these posts involved lead lined medium voltage cable.

Advertisement