Just A Random Easy Question About Voltage Regulators. - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Just A Random Easy Question About Voltage Regulators.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 92

Just A Random Easy Question About Voltage Regulators.

I know this is going to sound a little anal which it is.

But do they sell voltage regulators for big appliances (like window ACís, refrigerators, etc.) to minimize the brownouts that are the same line?

This is just a general question. I just get worried when my window AC kicks in and my TV is on the same circuit. The TV has a surge protector but from what I know, those only protect you from big surges, not the small brownouts that break down equipment a little by little over time.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 146

Re: Just A Random Easy Question About Voltage Regulators.

A brown out is a phase/power loss on one leg in single phase systems.
They do make monitors for three phase, but I am not familiar with one made for single phase.

These are for utility/service issues not for individual branch circuit devices.

Maybe try Google. "Single phase, Phase monitor"

Once again if this was my house I would get the fridge either on a kitchen counter top circuit or run a new one. I am assuming the fridge is in the kitchen?

Is the AC on a 120 volt or 240 volt circuit? The receptacle (voltage and pin arrangement) should tell you.
How much current (amps) does the ac pull?
Maybe you need to feed that with its own circuit?

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

I have like 6 window AC's and when the condenser turns on, I'm assuming it draws a bit of power.

Just wondering if they have voltage regulators that minimize the impact this has on all the other electrical devices on the same circuit.

All the AC's are 120 V. I would love to be on its own circuit but I'm too lazy to do that. That's a bit of work. Thought a simple voltage regulator connected to each AC would make things "perfect".

Just wondering if they sell things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
A brown out is a phase/power loss on one leg in single phase systems.
They do make monitors for three phase, but I am not familiar with one made for single phase.

These are for utility/service issues not for individual branch circuit devices.

Maybe try Google. "Single phase, Phase monitor"

Once again if this was my house I would get the fridge either on a kitchen counter top circuit or run a new one. I am assuming the fridge is in the kitchen?

Is the AC on a 120 volt or 240 volt circuit? The receptacle (voltage and pin arrangement) should tell you.
How much current (amps) does the ac pull?
Maybe you need to feed that with its own circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSummers View Post
Thought a simple voltage regulator connected to each AC would make things "perfect".

Just wondering if they sell things like that.
http://www.solahevidutysales.com/mcr...onditioner.htm

You need one at each device you want to protect, NOT at the ACs! The 150W model will run you about $650. How many do you need? How much money are you willing to spend on perfect?

-Hal

Last edited by ComRemodel; 09-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 164

Seems to me after reading your two other topics on basically this same subject, your money and effort would be better spent on finding the problem that is causing your "flickering light" issue- or stop watching TV in the summer.

-Hal
Old 09-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

The quick and dirty would be to run a 10 Guage extension cord to an outlet that didn't share its breaker with a window AC.....and plug the TV into it....

You lost me when you admitted you had SIX window air conditioners, have some pride and install a central HVAC system and save $. How can you see if the Cops are going to your lab/still?

Check the torque on the main lugs and all CBs screws, and check the earth ground is actually hooked up and working.

Sometimes a loose wire can be detected by tuning a cheap AM radio of channel while listening when the "lights flicker" AC arc faults need to be repaired or check to see your home owners will pay even YOU knew the wiring was unsafe for human habitation: get a pro, GET IT FIXED, or tear the death trap down....

Check and see the 6 ACs are spread evenly onto both legs of the house service.......

Check all the plug ins for being warm to the touch = replace outlet and or plug....

Replace the AC with a 220/240 VAC unit... Mini split heat pump, for those cold Alabama winters.

NO ONE with 6 window units in their home is suffering from any sort of Freudian "anal" behavior, IMHO

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 09-09-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: free Freudian analysis over the InterNet.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #7

All the threads are about different topics.

The flickering light is related to an actual job at a 3 story suburban office building. Might be coming from the transformer from the street or due to an elevator in the building.

The window AC's are part of an actual home.

And, the TV is just a question out of curiosity of how to make a "perfect" electrical setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComRemodel View Post
Seems to me after reading your two other topics on basically this same subject, your money and effort would be better spent on finding the problem that is causing your "flickering light" issue- or stop watching TV in the summer.

-Hal
Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the help!

The 10 gauge cord idea is a pretty good once but I wish I didn't have to do it because it would kinda' look ugly. I guess I could do the illegal thing and run it behind the wall?

Window AC's actually save money since only one is really running at any one time instead of the entire HVAC system but you're probably right about getting one though.

I'll look into doing your other suggestions. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
The quick and dirty would be to run a 10 Guage extension cord to an outlet that didn't share its breaker with a window AC.....and plug the TV into it....

You lost me when you admitted you had SIX window air conditioners, have some pride and install a central HVAC system and save $. How can you see if the Cops are going to your lab/still?

Check the torque on the main lugs and all CBs screws, and check the earth ground is actually hooked up and working.

Sometimes a loose wire can be detected by tuning a cheap AM radio of channel while listening when the "lights flicker" AC arc faults need to be repaired or check to see your home owners will pay even YOU knew the wiring was unsafe for human habitation: get a pro, GET IT FIXED, or tear the death trap down....

Check and see the 6 ACs are spread evenly onto both legs of the house service.......

Check all the plug ins for being warm to the touch = replace outlet and or plug....

Replace the AC with a 220/240 VAC unit... Mini split heat pump, for those cold Alabama winters.

NO ONE with 6 window units in their home is suffering from any sort of Freudian "anal" behavior, IMHO

Advertisement