(IRC) E3405.2 Question On Solving Panel Location - Electrical - Contractor Talk

(IRC) E3405.2 Question On Solving Panel Location

Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 48

(IRC) E3405.2 Question On Solving Panel Location

Greets:
I've got a draw job for a remodeling project in Georgia with one of the owner's ideas is to break through a wall to expand the master closet by taking over the laundry/utility area on the other side of the wall.

To build in a 3ft clearance work space is pretty much killing that idea.

I've been around for quite a while but in all my time (since 1972), I don't think I've had the situation that brings about this question:

Can a service panel be disconnected completely from...torn out and then reinstalled in the same location, but facing 180 the other way into another large room?

Outside of some wallboard work...everything else should slide right back in; breakers wired up and seated to the buss...energized and then covered back up once the re-finishing work is over.

That's it. Not unlike a DIY'r tearing out a 10ft section of bearing wall....it looks good on paper until bad things start to happen.

The owners have a good idea and reversing the panel would solve the problem they didn't know would be coming up. Enough money could fix a lot of things...I only need to tell them to reverse the panel is the only way to accomplish what they've got in mind if it's a do-able.

Thanks!
Turner Builders
Conyers, Ga

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,186

Re: (IRC) E3405.2 Question On Solving Panel Location

Sure.

As long as all the wires still reach.

Advertisement

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Dan Turner (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks 7DeltaFortyOne!

Confidence level was up there...even better now. I'll pass it along and hopefully a sloppy first install will leave plenty of service and circuit wire lengths to tidy up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,249

Raise the panel 3-4" in the reversal?

Do-able, sure with a detail sharp Sparky...

But to NEC requirements re arc fault and ground fault CBs?????

Every thing in there is over half way to its End of Life......

Sell the new stuff as the safety issue...... suggest smoke and heat detectors if old stuff is reused....

Call Your insurance agent for an opinion...... hell

If I did it, I'd still BUY a NEW panel to move the wire and breakers into one at time, actually SAVING $$$ and an extra CB of every type for the same issue....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 05-24-2019 at 11:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
Dan Turner (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks 4thGen.

Actually I am going to specify NEW panel. It's cheaper to replace it the first time.

At least that's what my specs will say...and will be on the set of drawings submitted to permitting for the permanent record. It saves a lot of time as to who's telling the truth when the fussing begins about anything.

There's a price to be paid for buying an existing structure...even this 10 year old house...and then deciding to start tearing things apart. Them critters on HGTV make it all look so easy....and cheap, too.

Neither apply to this business.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,249

Mirror glued to breaker cabinet (medicine chest style?) and under panel to wall = clear space for electrical repairs or just build the 3' deep panel closet inside the big closet.....
make it oversize add fire door and sell it as a vault storage/ electrical panel room?
Dan Turner (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Great ideas all! If the layout were just a little bit different...a secured room type of thing would do the trick for the original panel. However the net sq.ft. with a 3ft clearance eats up too much of the area the clients wanted to spend the money on for a bigger walk in closet and dressing area.

I've looked at it a dozen different firing solutions...the R&R and reverse the door panel is the most cost effective (he says now without taking the panel cover off) to get what they want.

I know I've got a nice framed painting of bulldogs playing gin rummy that could go in a big frame with a "let-in" spacer to clear the panel poking out past the finished wall. On a hinge...opposite to the panel hinge for a full swing for both panel door and artwork.

Best solution I've got...plus I can sell that dang picture to top it off. Thanks!!

Advertisement