Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch... - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
huntington beach, ca.

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 250

Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...

I need a 2 hour override for lighting in medical building, lights operate off a 20 amp contactor. I have no idea where to start looking...something push button would be nice.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,720

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...

Leviton 6652-1I.

Advertisement

hbelectric (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

I'm thinking you have many lights to operate, as you said they were on a 20 amp contactor so you will need a timer with heavy duty contacts............. If you want a push button type switch?, you will have to wire it to pull in a timer relay to operate that 20 amp contactor. Need more Specifics !

Last edited by mrmike; 09-13-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I'm thinking you have many lights to operate, as you said they were on a 20 amp contactor so you will need a timer with heavy duty contacts............. If you want a push button type switch?, you will have to wire it to pull in a timer relay to operate that 20 amp contactor. Need more Specifics !
I'm gonna say it's the lighting circuits that are 20 amps, not the coil on the contactor. I've never seen a lighting contactor coil draw more than an amp.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Similar situation..folks place.

Have a gas well that needs saltwater pumped periodically..as needed. We have a pressure switch on a volume tank that will start it..but it needs to run for like an hour after the pressure comes back up.

Timer won't work... need some thing like a relay w/delay?

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #6

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Sparky is right. If you install just a push button, you'll need to install some type of timing device that hooks up to a 7-day timer. It is best to install a twist timer that mechanically times itself out that is wired to a lighting contactor.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
huntington beach, ca.

Quote:
I'm using the 365 day time clock on the right in the picture, so basically you are saying this levinton 6652 push button, will most likely need a relay to close the lighting contactor. If this is the case, not a problem.

Last edited by hbelectric; 09-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
I need a 2 hour override for lighting in medical building, lights operate off a 20 amp contactor. I have no idea where to start looking...something push button would be nice.
We used to use something like this in the stores we did. just a simple off-delay relay that controls the coil of the contactor.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJP3

Turn the light switch off and the contactor turns the lights off after predetermined amount of time (ie. Give the employees enough time to get out of the building before all the lights went off)
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
I'm using the 365 day time clock on the right in the picture, so basically you are saying this levinton 6652 push button, will most likely need a relay to close the lighting contactor. If this is the case, not a problem.
You can put the 7-day timer and the 2-hour switch in parallel with each other. That way, either one will turn on the lights as needed. Run them with the same circuit to control the same relay.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
huntington beach, ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
You can put the 7-day timer and the 2-hour switch in parallel with each other. That way, either one will turn on the lights as needed. Run them with the same circuit to control the same relay.
Yeah I understand, I know some of these timers won't close contactors. But this one says its good for inductive loads/motor loads.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I'm gonna say it's the lighting circuits that are 20 amps, not the coil on the contactor. I've never seen a lighting contactor coil draw more than an amp.
???? Lighting circuits are never across the coil of the Contactor. The lighting is across the contacts of the Contactor. The coil is usually pulled in by a relay or remote switch, etc- most times thru a Photocell. We had multiple outside area lights turned on by one contactor with just one photocell to turn them on.................
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
???? Lighting circuits are never across the coil of the Contactor. The lighting is across the contacts of the Contactor. The coil is usually pulled in by a relay or remote switch, etc- most times thru a Photocell. We had multiple outside area lights turned on by one contactor with just one photocell to turn them on.................
I think we said the same thing.

It's the lighting circuits that use 20 amps, not the coil. Sometimes it's the same circuit, but the coil won't use 20 amps when pulled in.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemike View Post
We used to use something like this in the stores we did. just a simple off-delay relay that controls the coil of the contactor.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJP3

Turn the light switch off and the contactor turns the lights off after predetermined amount of time (ie. Give the employees enough time to get out of the building before all the lights went off)
this is what is needed timers will need to be reset in the event of a power outage unless they are battery backed up ,make it to complicated and "employees" will not get it

Advertisement