Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch... - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
huntington beach, ca.
 
hbelectric's Avatar
 
Trade: electrical
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 362
Rewards Points: 250

Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


I need a 2 hour override for lighting in medical building, lights operate off a 20 amp contactor. I have no idea where to start looking...something push button would be nice.
hbelectric is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,927
Rewards Points: 11,720

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Leviton 6652-1I.

Advertisement

__________________
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited for content.
480sparky is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
hbelectric (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Pro
 
mrmike's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Adirondacks of NY
Posts: 838
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


I'm thinking you have many lights to operate, as you said they were on a 20 amp contactor so you will need a timer with heavy duty contacts............. If you want a push button type switch?, you will have to wire it to pull in a timer relay to operate that 20 amp contactor. Need more Specifics !

Last edited by mrmike; 09-13-2009 at 06:57 AM.
mrmike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,927
Rewards Points: 11,720

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I'm thinking you have many lights to operate, as you said they were on a 20 amp contactor so you will need a timer with heavy duty contacts............. If you want a push button type switch?, you will have to wire it to pull in a timer relay to operate that 20 amp contactor. Need more Specifics !
I'm gonna say it's the lighting circuits that are 20 amps, not the coil on the contactor. I've never seen a lighting contactor coil draw more than an amp.
__________________
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited for content.
480sparky is online now  
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Pro
 
TimelessQuality's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central America (Kansas)
Posts: 4,732
Rewards Points: 1,730

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Similar situation..folks place.

Have a gas well that needs saltwater pumped periodically..as needed. We have a pressure switch on a volume tank that will start it..but it needs to run for like an hour after the pressure comes back up.

Timer won't work... need some thing like a relay w/delay?
__________________
-Steve

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
TimelessQuality is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Registered User
 
BTE's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical Contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Sparky is right. If you install just a push button, you'll need to install some type of timing device that hooks up to a 7-day timer. It is best to install a twist timer that mechanically times itself out that is wired to a lighting contactor.
BTE is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
huntington beach, ca.
 
hbelectric's Avatar
 
Trade: electrical
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 362
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I'm thinking you have many lights to operate, as you said they were on a 20 amp contactor so you will need a timer with heavy duty contacts............. If you want a push button type switch?, you will have to wire it to pull in a timer relay to operate that 20 amp contactor. Need more Specifics !
I'm using the 365 day time clock on the right in the picture, so basically you are saying this levinton 6652 push button, will most likely need a relay to close the lighting contactor. If this is the case, not a problem.

Last edited by hbelectric; 09-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
hbelectric is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Professional Remodeler
 
firemike's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 2,289
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
I need a 2 hour override for lighting in medical building, lights operate off a 20 amp contactor. I have no idea where to start looking...something push button would be nice.
We used to use something like this in the stores we did. just a simple off-delay relay that controls the coil of the contactor.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJP3

Turn the light switch off and the contactor turns the lights off after predetermined amount of time (ie. Give the employees enough time to get out of the building before all the lights went off)
__________________
-Mike-
Falcon Contracting
Residential - Commercial
firemike is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,927
Rewards Points: 11,720

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
I'm using the 365 day time clock on the right in the picture, so basically you are saying this levinton 6652 push button, will most likely need a relay to close the lighting contactor. If this is the case, not a problem.
You can put the 7-day timer and the 2-hour switch in parallel with each other. That way, either one will turn on the lights as needed. Run them with the same circuit to control the same relay.
__________________
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited for content.
480sparky is online now  
Old 09-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
huntington beach, ca.
 
hbelectric's Avatar
 
Trade: electrical
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 362
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
You can put the 7-day timer and the 2-hour switch in parallel with each other. That way, either one will turn on the lights as needed. Run them with the same circuit to control the same relay.
Yeah I understand, I know some of these timers won't close contactors. But this one says its good for inductive loads/motor loads.
hbelectric is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Pro
 
mrmike's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Adirondacks of NY
Posts: 838
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I'm gonna say it's the lighting circuits that are 20 amps, not the coil on the contactor. I've never seen a lighting contactor coil draw more than an amp.
???? Lighting circuits are never across the coil of the Contactor. The lighting is across the contacts of the Contactor. The coil is usually pulled in by a relay or remote switch, etc- most times thru a Photocell. We had multiple outside area lights turned on by one contactor with just one photocell to turn them on.................
mrmike is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,927
Rewards Points: 11,720

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
???? Lighting circuits are never across the coil of the Contactor. The lighting is across the contacts of the Contactor. The coil is usually pulled in by a relay or remote switch, etc- most times thru a Photocell. We had multiple outside area lights turned on by one contactor with just one photocell to turn them on.................
I think we said the same thing.

It's the lighting circuits that use 20 amps, not the coil. Sometimes it's the same circuit, but the coil won't use 20 amps when pulled in.
__________________
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and edited for content.
480sparky is online now  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
ampman
 
ampman's Avatar
 
Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: central florida
Posts: 783
Rewards Points: 516

Re: Entry Way 2 Hour Override Switch...


Quote:
Originally Posted by firemike View Post
We used to use something like this in the stores we did. just a simple off-delay relay that controls the coil of the contactor.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJP3

Turn the light switch off and the contactor turns the lights off after predetermined amount of time (ie. Give the employees enough time to get out of the building before all the lights went off)
this is what is needed timers will need to be reset in the event of a power outage unless they are battery backed up ,make it to complicated and "employees" will not get it

Advertisement

__________________
an army of sheep lead by a lion will defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep
ampman is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switch Loop Problem CookeCarpentry Electrical 43 04-12-2009 08:49 PM
Multiple fixtures on switch loop KenHaynes Electrical 2 12-05-2007 03:15 PM
Dimmer switch blowing out glock40 Electrical 4 03-13-2006 07:54 PM
smart light switch circuit toastermaker Electrical 7 12-07-2005 11:45 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?