Electrical Work Done By Remodelers: Allowed? - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Electrical Work Done By Remodelers: Allowed?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 2

Electrical Work Done By Remodelers: Allowed?

We are licensed and insured home remodelers and are currently upgrading service and doing a full rewire as part of our project. The borough requires that a third party inspection company stamp and approve plans, and do all the inspections. So far, I have submitted plans for a service upgrade, new panel and full rewire. This was stamped and approved by the 3rd party, and with that I was granted an electrical permit under my HIC number.
I am concerned someone somewhere overlooked something as nobody has asked me for an electricians contractors number at any point.

I am interested in future cases: Can a contractor who is not a licensed electrician, do work and collect pay for electrical work done on a home that is not their own if the homeowner pulls the permit for their choice of contractor and that contractor goes through all necessary permitting and inspecting?

Thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 838

Re: Electrical Work Done By Remodelers: Allowed?

Thise rules vary so much between city, county, and state that getting a solid answer here is not likely.

You also need to consider what your insurance covers.

If you are moving electrical, but you aren't covered for that hy your insurance because you aren't a state licensed electrician, then if you burn the place down they won't stand by you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,820

http://www.poweredelectrician.com/ho...nnsylvania-pa/

The state of Pennsylvania has no requirements regarding the registration, certification or licensure of contractors that are engaged in the construction industry. Consequently, it is one of the relatively small number of states that does not require a state license for work as an electrician or electrical contractor.

However, each local area, such as counties and cities, usually has some kind of building department. This is a local agency that has the right to set up licensing and registration schemes for all sorts of businesses. So, before conducting any electrician or electrical contracting work in Pennsylvania, you might have to consult the department and get a local license.

Unfortunately, there is no record concerning municipalities that have established licensure or certification requirements. As a result, you will have to contact the municipality where construction work will occur in order to acquire the necessary information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Small Town Guy found the best answer for you. I don't need licensing in my area of central PA, but I can pretty well guarantee you need it if you're actually working in the city of Philadelphia.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Small Town Guy found the best answer for you. I don't need licensing in my area of central PA, but I can pretty well guarantee you need it if you're actually working in the city of Philadelphia.
exactly. there are municipalities in PA in which we are allowed to do both plumbing and electric, some one or the other, and some neither.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (01-27-2019)