CFL's And Electronic Ballast - Electrical - Contractor Talk

CFL's And Electronic Ballast

Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Security Alarm Installer (Low Voltage)
Rewards Points: 1,214

CFL's And Electronic Ballast

Hello all,

Looking for a little insight on the following. I heard today from an electrician friend that there is some issue with the new Electronic Ballast in that they are causing reception problems with radios. I am sure that it has to do with RFI and EMI of some magnitude.

What he has told me is that at some another location after installing some new lights that use electronic ballast, the employees there cannot get their radio to pull in any stations with out turning off the lights. He said that he has heard that CFL's do the same thing.

Soooooooooooooooo since this is the first time I have heard of this, I thought I would post the query here. Because if anybody know anything about this phenomenon somebody here will post back some input.

It is very possible that this is well known issue and I did not get the
memo................................

So the floor is open for discussion.

Thanks in advance to all.

Les

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: framing
Rewards Points: 25

Re: CFL's And Electronic Ballast

Since no one else has replied, you will have to settle for my answer.
This is in regards to metal halide and high pressure sodium lights and ballasts since I have no experience with CFL ballast.

Manufacturers developed electronic ballasts for these lights. They are smaller, run cooler, and supposedly are more energy efficient. They were more expensive than the magnetic ballast. China started knocking these out really cheap and most if not all of the first generation had experienced radio interference. Exactly like you described. The problem more or less has been "fixed" by using fully shielded wiring and in some instances isolating the reflector from the light. Other changes inside of the ballast might have been made but I honestly don't know.
Hope this helps some.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Since no one else has replied, you will have to settle for my answer.
This is in regards to metal halide and high pressure sodium lights and ballasts since I have no experience with CFL ballast.
mtm thanks for the response and putting the thread at the top again. I had(have) suspicions that the Chinese were involved some how. Seem like everything today invloves them.

The floor is still open on this topic if someone else would like to agree/disagree on the subject.

And you can't run everything is shielded cable on the maybe you might need to.

mtm do you know any dates as it relates. This is not - has not - and hopefully will not effect me but I like to stay ahead so that I can dodge a bullet if need be.

Thanks,

Les
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: framing

Able,

Heres a little cut and paste first for you regarding your fluros

LAYOUT RECOMMENDATION
In order to minimize radio interference problems
we recommend that the mains wiring and the
lamp wiring are kept as far as possible from each
other. In no case must they be bunched together
for long distances. They can however cross each
other.
The complete ballast unit is assumed to be
installed in the same fixture as the lamps it
operates. If the wires from the ballast to a lamp
are longer than 2 m, please ask for additional
information.

The above came from helvar dot com. I cant post links yet so your gonna have to take my word for it.

The lights and ballast my wife uses for her commercial greenhouses are different in that there is a 8ft cord separating the ballast from the mogul socket for the metal halide bulb. Back at the end of 2005 her company purchased 9 600w electronic ballast. Caused tons of interference. They were returned to the manufacturer approx 6 months later they came out with revision 2 which was a shielded cord between the ballast and mogul base. This helped somewhat. I guess people were still complaining because most of the companies that produce these types of lighting pulled them all again for design changes. Now they redesigned the case along with shielding the cable. Her distributor states that rfi is a thing of the past with the 175 400 600 watt ballast. 1000w ballast still give off some interference but it is limited to under 3 feet. She went back to the cheaper magnetic ballast. In my previous post I mentioned the ballast from China. I went through all her notes and receipts and the only thing I saw was a note saying "Stay away from off brand ballast imported from China" Also since Im not a electrician and her notes are now mostly 2yrs old none of the electronic ballast were UL listed. They all said UL listing applied for.

They use a brand called Lumatek, which is the premium brand in the horticulture business. a on there web page they even mention RF Emissions

lumatek dot com / products

R.F emissions
- Lumatek ballasts are now internally RF shielded and can be used with standard System Cord sets as available in each country worldwide. Our ballasts produce the least amount of EMI (electro- magnetic interference) of any electronic ballast and conform to all international Electro-magnetic emission standards. This applies to all blue and purple models of the Lumatek. The older silver models which employed earlier technology (at the time industry leading) can be upgraded for current models (and the highest EMI standards) at reduced purchase costs; for details please contact us by e-mail or if you are in the USA or Canada tel U.S 1 415 233 4273

Im guessing thats the 4th revision.

Hope some of this rambling nonsense helps you out a bit.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Pro

mtm,

Thanks for the input. That did help a lot.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Les
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #6

Trade: Wood Floor Contractor

Here is more good info.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/NLPI.../SR_SB_CFL.pdf
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

I've been involved in large scale retro fitting and maintenance for electronic fluorescents, cf's, and halides. The guys like to blast their radios while they work and I have never heard anyone complain about rf interference from ballasts. I do believe that in isolated cases it could happen because radio waves tend to be fickle anyway.

Advertisement