Ceiling Fans On 4sq Box And Doing Insurance Inspection. - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Ceiling Fans On 4sq Box And Doing Insurance Inspection.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
huntington beach, ca.

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling Fans On 4sq Box And Doing Insurance Inspection.

I'm doing an inspection and I'm not positive on using 4 sq boxes with round mud ring for a ceiling fan. I see them all over this commercial building.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrician

Re: Ceiling Fans On 4sq Box And Doing Insurance Inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelectric View Post
I'm doing an inspection and I'm not positive on using 4 sq boxes with round mud ring for a ceiling fan. I see them all over this commercial building.

Are they rated for ceiling fan support??? It is a rhetorical question. If they are, I've never seen such a thing!

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,244

When were they installed? Could very well have been fine at the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
huntington beach, ca.

Some of the fans were installed where lights once were, 40 years old. Then 6 fans are newly piped in, surface mounted pipe and 4sq boxes. Its a church so the fans are directly over seating.

They asked me to come look at the place and give them a letter, for insurance company, so they could get or renew their liability insurance. Well I have a list pretty
Long, the fans might be nitpicky, but I don't think they are rated for a fan or maybe they could be moldified to be safe. Maybe ad lag bolts from fan support, directly to the beam the 4 sq. Is on. That would be solid, as long as it is just not 8/32 screws holding the fan up.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,094

if you are not a licensed inspection firm I would run from this. At the very least I would make sure your inspection report limits your liability to what you can see.

Too much liability for me to feel comfortable signing off on the condition of an existing building.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Trade: Plumbing and Electrical, Building
Rewards Points: 25

The reason a fan box is rated for support is that the machine screws are threaded through the back of the box and the front, not an issue of box mounting hardware, also supplied with lock nuts.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
huntington beach, ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
if you are not a licensed inspection firm I would run from this. At the very least I would make sure your inspection report limits your liability to what you can see.

Too much liability for me to feel comfortable signing off on the condition of an existing building.
Yeah and i'm not good enough with contracts to save my ass, plus ive already told them im too busy and way to busy too deal with more paperwork jobs. The whole liability thing, doesn't sound good for me.
But I will unofficially send them my list of corrections, since they are people I know personally.

Advertisement