Adding Ground/ Bond Wires To Bulldog Disconnect - Electrical - Contractor Talk

Adding Ground/ Bond Wires To Bulldog Disconnect

Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,042

Adding Ground/ Bond Wires To Bulldog Disconnect

I hope you guys dont run me out of here and tell me to go to the DIY forums for this...

I swapped out the old push-o-matic panel I had in my house for a new Square D, but kept the original service disconnect in my garage (upgrading my service is not currently in the budget). I am now tasked with trying to add in my bonding wires from the new "sub panel" and copper water lines, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions on how to go about doing that.

I picked up a split lug hoping I could just add that on, but I don't really see where I could do that. Right now I'm wondering if my only real option is to replace the disconnect with a new one so I can have the spaces I need.

As a side note, I picked up new fuses since the ones in there are original, and there are some hairline cracks in the copper. I figured it couldn't hurt to swap out the 50 year old fuses

I appreciate the help!

-Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Adding ground/ bond wires to Bulldog Disconnect-2018-02-09-12.10.02.jpg   Adding ground/ bond wires to Bulldog Disconnect-2018-02-09-12.28.21.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 10,984

Re: Adding Ground/ Bond Wires To Bulldog Disconnect

100 amp panels aren't that costly. Maybe 50 to 75 bucks. Add another 35 or so for a 100a breaker to feed it on downstream and you'll have bucketloads of noodle terminals.

You can't legally use split-bolts to splice bonding wires. You can use irreversible crimps, however.

Advertisement

rblakes1 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,042

Re: Adding Ground/ Bond Wires To Bulldog Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
100 amp panels aren't that costly. Maybe 50 to 75 bucks. Add another 35 or so for a 100a breaker to feed it on downstream and you'll have bucketloads of noodle terminals.

You can't legally use split-bolts to splice bonding wires. You can use irreversible crimps, however.
That makes sense, would also give me the capability to easily add circuits in the garage for tools and what not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk