17 Year Old Looking For Some Insight - Electrical - Contractor Talk

17 Year Old Looking For Some Insight

Old 03-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry

17 Year Old Looking For Some Insight

I am 17 years old and like working with my hands and head. I was just wondering what the reality of being a eletriction is really like. And if it’s a good career path to follow!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,277

Re: 17 Year Old Looking For Some Insight

Mike, you already have some responses regarding carpentry. You will get much of the same in respect to this thread.

While most of us here want to encourage young guys to pursue a career in the trades, we're quickly going to lose patience if you keep asking the same questions about each specialty. It might be more productive for you if you tell us what your actual interests are, and what sort of background you have--for instance, have you grown up with Dad showing you how to do stuff (what kind of stuff?) hands-on, or mainly left to pursue an Xbox career?

The latter doesn't rule out a career in the trades, but it would give us a better idea of how to advise you.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,291

Plumbing is really where it's at. Ever see a skinny plumber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,242

Biggest advantage of electrical over carpentry is the union is more present and union training easier to locate.

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Stunt Carpenter (04-21-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,766

Like a Carpenter the field is broad. As a Carpenter working in a shop building cabinets is a lot different than flying around on roof trusses or form work and shoring

Likewise An Electrican encompasses everything from running simple lighting circuits to working with 3 phase, DC motor controls, pulling MCM and line work.

Fully educate yourself before you decide...We can't tell you
Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 AM   #6

Well I’ve grown up learning a little bit of everything. I love to work with my hands; I really like dealing with wood and building things. But gave recentky picked up an interest in electrical work as i see it to be intriguing in many aspects
Old 03-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,786

If I could offer a bit of advice, as it appears you are unsure what path to head down, a career in the trades can be a good choice. If a trade is where you find your passion, like most of us here, one day you will find yourself wanting to go it alone and start your own business.
My suggestion would be get an education in business first, two years at a community college would be a start, minimum debt. In your summers get on with a reputable construction company and get exposed to as many trades as possible.

Final word, as already stated, your success will depend on work ethic, showing up on time (early) doing as you are told, willingness to learn, and leaving your phone in your vehicle each day. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,272

If I had to start over, I would be an electrician. I like the work. I think it's a little less taxing on the body.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Irishslave (03-31-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,028

Are you a junior or senior in hs? If you've still got a year, sign up for some votech classes next year. Otherwise, put the word out that you're looking to be a helper and learn.

My electrician has a guy who works part time, so he's getting to know the basics of the job. If you want to learn a bit of everything, work for a hands on gc, that's how I started.

-Rich
Old 03-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #10

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
Are you a junior or senior in hs? If you've still got a year, sign up for some votech classes next year. Otherwise, put the word out that you're looking to be a helper and learn.

My electrician has a guy who works part time, so he's getting to know the basics of the job. If you want to learn a bit of everything, work for a hands on gc, that's how I started.

-Rich
Agree with this post. Take classes at your local career center. My neighbor did that very thing. He's 20 years old, got a great job with a big local electrical contractor and bought a house, yes, bought a house last summer.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

I am a junior i did sign up for the classes that relate the most to electrical or anything with construction. I am taking arch 1 construction systems 1 and 2 also CAD and electrical engineering! Sadly at dhs we don’t have too many electrical classes
Old 04-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #12

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2

Whatever you do, the most important thing is to get certified in multiple areas of the trade you pick so you always have something fall back on. I have my journeyman, masters, and contractors license. I also got my PMP certification. I cant agree more with getting a business degree along the way. This will help you tremendously when you get ready to start your own company one day after you get a FEW years experience under your belt. I think if I had it do over again I would have also got certified in HVAC.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 146

How are your math skills?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #14

Trade: HVAC Controls - Project Manager
Rewards Points: 26

Mike,
You've come to the right place to ask these kind of questions. Just remember what they say about opinions..

If you are more on the technical side, you could also consider a path in instrumentation or electronics. The low voltage trades are really doing well right now. You can also get into HVAC with these disciplines.

I'd be willing to talk to you more if you want to give me a call sometime.

-Andrew

Advertisement