Where To Purchase Durabond? - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Where To Purchase Durabond?

Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Where To Purchase Durabond?

I've heard a lot of positive things about Durabond on this forum, but I can't find any at the local lumber yards or home depots.
I'm located near Greenville, SC.
Can anyone tell me where to find this stuff?
Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Drywall

Re: Where To Purchase Durabond?

In Ohio its in all Home Depots and Lowes.Any Drywall supply would also,but more expencive.

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

You are probably looking for the wrong thing. You really want "EasySand". Comes in a white bag. You don't want Durabond proper unless you know you need Durabond. Durabond comes in a brown bag and is unsandable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #4

Trade: Carpentry

I actually found some of the Easy Sand stuff at a local Sherwin Williams yesterday and was going to reply to this thread this morning to find out if I should use that or the Durabond brown bag stuff but you already answered my question.
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Thing to remember about Durabond easy sand this is the same as in the bucket ready mix, so it's just as soft. if you have any stress cracks or water damage your repairing the easy sand will not hold up like the Durabond in the brown bags it's harder then plaster, So if your fixing cracks it's better to use the brown bags.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs
Rewards Points: 150

did you see that video? why were those hangers wearing face masks.....lol
Were they using glue on the ceilings? I didn't watch it all.....maybe I was seeing things......
Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Man, nice to see at least one other person in the world knows about durabond, a 90 minute bag mud by USG.

Hay, it is not the same thing as easy sand. In fact you can't sand it. We use it around showers.

Read the bag. Only dry mix mud I've found that drys to the point it is "moisture resistant". My family has been in drywall for 43 years. We told our drywall provider to stock the stuff. I would not spend any time looking for it elsewhere. Our local Home Depo carries USG products and has never heard of durabond. It's in a green bag.

Mark

PS looking for companies with 20-40 drywall employees for advice. We are wanting to grow to your size. Please let me know your best advice.

Mark

Alliancedrywallservices.com
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
owner

Trade: Hanging, Taping, Custom, Repairs, Scrapping

put hot water in it and see what happens. 20 minute turns into about 8
Old 12-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

I haven't used durabond in awhile. In the eighties thats all I could find for setting type compound. then I would coat it with sandable green lid (the heavy stuff) 18 lumber still has it as well as Home Despot, Loathes doesn't here. The past year and a half I have been using USG easy sand 20 min and 45 min.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
I haven't used durabond in awhile. In the eighties thats all I could find for setting type compound. then I would coat it with sandable green lid (the heavy stuff) 18 lumber still has it as well as Home Despot, Loathes doesn't here. The past year and a half I have been using USG easy sand 20 min and 45 min.
Do you have Menards in your area? They carry it around here. I just ask my supplier to order a pallet in for me. It sits in my shop a month or so. Still good. I think 56 bags on a pallet.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
Do you have Menards in your area? They carry it around here. I just ask my supplier to order a pallet in for me. It sits in my shop a month or so. Still good. I think 56 bags on a pallet.

no menards in my area. If I need durabond (brown bag) i can get it 3 mins from my front door.(Eighteen lumber) I just havent used it in a year and a half. only the setting type easy sand. if I need volume I can get it at Strober or lattanzio

Last edited by A W Smith; 12-23-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
no menards in my area. If I need durabond (brown bag) i can get it 3 mins from my front door.(Eighteen lumber) I just havent used it in a year and a half. only the setting type easy sand.
Understand. Sorry, I thought you were asking where to buy. I read every other word. Oops! It is nice in certain situations. Great for big holes. Or when the electrician moves the sheet over to match the box in the ceiling. Or maybe they don't do that to you in the East. Yea right...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #13

Durabond is a USG brand product. Perhaps their web site or a call to them will net you a list of vendors in your area that sell USG products. I'd call first because many retailers, like Home Depo, in our area do not carry durabond even when they carry USG brand products.

Durabond is very, very hard to sand so that might be why it is not carried where the general public can get it. I think Durabond is best for filling around the flange because it sets so hard and is moisture resistant when dry. Just make sure you pull it tight when it is green because any humps in the mud will be hard to sand out before you tape over it or run a fill/finish.

Last edited by mseneker; 12-23-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseneker View Post
Durabond is a USG brand product. Perhaps their web site or a call to them will net you a list of vendors in your area that sell USG products. I'd call first because many retailers, like Home Depo, in our area do not carry durabond even when they carry USG brand products.

Durabond is very, very hard to sand so that might be why it is not carried where the general public can get it. I think Durabond is best for filling around the flange because it sets so hard and is moisture resistant when dry. Just make sure you pull it tight when it is green because any humps in the mud will be hard to sand out before you tape over it or run a fill/finish.
That's for sure. I had a contractor tell me the water from the shower ate that mud out. I assured him it didn't. No way. I think it is about as hard as concrete. Good stuff for prefill.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
That's for sure. I had a contractor tell me the water from the shower ate that mud out. I assured him it didn't. No way. I think it is about as hard as concrete. Good stuff for prefill.

I compare it to automotive bondo. Almost plastic like. I have even used it to skim the seams of new laun plywood underlayment for peel and stick vinyl tile. ( rental units/investment properties) the tile sticks to it better than the floor leveling compound thats made for it.(too dusty)
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #16

The suppliers name is KEN-API 859-431-0625
Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,226

i never tried durabond, but ive tried easy sand numerous times, i was never happy with the results of ez sand. It never dried properly in time. I tried to use it for quick repairs, i was never able to do it. We always ended up mixing plaster of paris with allpurpose, it always seem to do the trick.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

EZ sand is nothing like durabond. I can get it anywhere in Michigan and every drywaller swears by it. I have no problem sanding it and I use it anytime I have to repair a crack. I've even used it to mud an entire room, using topping for the last coat.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,226

So can I use durabond to embed tape also? Then top with premixed? I have a ceiling that water damaged caused the tape to peel. I kinda want to repair and paint the same day.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Rewards Points: 2,052

We use the brown bag (durabond) for posts and corners, have also used it for 1st coat may God have mercy on your soul if you leave a high spot! It's funny you should mention the box stores not carrying it. I went to blowes on a emergency run (forgot I had none on the truck) and when I asked the guy he looked at me like I was on the moon. He said he had mudded for years (in MD.) and never heard of it. Then proceeded to ask what would you use it for if you can't sand it.

Advertisement