Wall To Ceiling Radius - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Wall To Ceiling Radius

Old 03-04-2006, 07:33 PM  
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 27

Wall To Ceiling Radius

Does anyone know the best place for information on how to construct a 6 inch wall to ceiling radius "on site"? The job has cement ceilings and plaster block walls.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM  
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Wall To Ceiling Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnV
Does anyone know the best place for information on how to construct a 6 inch wall to ceiling radius "on site"? The job has cement ceilings and plaster block walls.
Please be more specific in what you have to do.? I think this is the best place to find the info you're after for what you want to accomplish. Explain better (what do you mean by a 6 inch wall to ceiling radius)?

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 AM  
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 27

Its a pre war apartment with typical radius inside corners. We built soffits that require us to match the same "curve". If you measure out from the wall and down from the ceiling, these measurements will be 6".
My plasterer wants to screw on wire lath bent to the same shape and start with a cement base coat. I feel like there must be a faster solution. Maybe some sort of pre molded material that will except plaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 PM  
Pro

This doesn't sound like a situation that anyone would usually encounter. I can't think of any pre-fab moulding available to help you. You might manufacture it yourself but for the time and $ spent to do that I think you should just let your plaster guy take care of it. I'm assuming he's a pro and seems to have the remedy to your problem. Hope the extra steps taken don't cut into your profit too much!!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 PM  
Pro

Trade: Geotechnical PE
Rewards Points: 250

this situation is a problem all over in NYC. I've either used lath as your guy said (takes way too much time) or had the it custom made at a mill. Most costumers decided just to go with a plain look when they find out what it will cost to match.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 PM  
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0mpie
this situation is a problem all over in NYC. I've either used lath as your guy said (takes way too much time) or had the it custom made at a mill. Most costumers decided just to go with a plain look when they find out what it will cost to match.
Thanx for replying, this is a situation I've never encountered (and never will). I'm glad you are in the same area and can give some advice (after I said this is the best place to find advice). At least one person was able to reply to his post that has experience in this situation!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 PM  
Pro

Wish I could be of more help though. The problem with this situation is that it usually comes up when you build a small partion wall in a coop. Either of the suggested methods is just not worth the extra cost to most customers. However I really hate omiting this detail because it makes the job look incomplete. Imagine a room with four walls and only three walls have crown on them.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM  

Dont you guys use foam shapes as plaster accessories? My plasterer can order foam shapes pre-coated with foamcoat and mesh, glue them on and cover with plaster finishes in any damn near any shape imaginable.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 PM  
Pro

who makes this stuff?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:40 AM  
Metal Stud Framer

Trade: Commercial Construction, Metal Stud, Drywall & Aco
Rewards Points: 152

Need to see a picture and I'll be able to help you out...
From the info I have one thing you could do is frame the radius and hang it with Densglass then Sto it...
Here's a great product to frame your radius with metal studs:
http://www.dietrichindustries.com/laborsaving/
Quote:
Contour Track ™ is a low-cost, high-performance solution for creating non-load bearing intricate curves, bends, variable radii and arches for dramatic and distinctive walls, ceilings and bulkheads
Old 03-09-2006, 04:06 PM  

Here's our local supplier. They can cut to any shape, interior or exterior.
http://www.pro-foam.com/

Old 03-09-2006, 08:40 PM  
Pro

Zendik your a little off on this one we're refering to what is more or less a crown molding that makes a rounded inner corner. Although I will keep that site in mind if I ever need to build that type of wall.

Thanks DC I"m going to price that next time I'm in this situation.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

if you need a shape made of plaster glass shape plasterform makes what you need but is very exsepentive

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: