Wall To Ceiling Cracks In Foyer - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Wall To Ceiling Cracks In Foyer

Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall To Ceiling Cracks In Foyer

Need some insight on repairing wall to ceiling cracks around the perimeter of an open foyer/stairwell (NO crown molding, ironically this is the only room in the house without it). Foyer area is 12x14 open to second floor. There is 1/4" - 3/8" crack around entire perimeter of ceiling due to settling. Wall corner seams are also cracked almost as bad. HO said house is approx 10 years old. I've done my share of crack repair but it's usually the typical joint crack or hole damage before painting.

What is the best approach to repair both the wall to ceiling cracks and the wall corner cracks? Would caulking be the best solution to alleviate future cracks if the house settles more? Thanks guys.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Wall To Ceiling Cracks In Foyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHC View Post
Need some insight on repairing wall to ceiling cracks around the perimeter of an open foyer/stairwell (NO crown molding, ironically this is the only room in the house without it). Foyer area is 12x14 open to second floor. There is 1/4" - 3/8" crack around entire perimeter of ceiling due to settling. Wall corner seams are also cracked almost as bad. HO said house is approx 10 years old. I've done my share of crack repair but it's usually the typical joint crack or hole damage before painting.

What is the best approach to repair both the wall to ceiling cracks and the wall corner cracks? Would caulking be the best solution to alleviate future cracks if the house settles more? Thanks guys.

We have run into similar situations that end up being connected to the trusses expanding and contracting with the seasonal changes. You see, if the cracks were repaired....they ended up cracking again at the next seasonal change.
Solution was to install Crown molding on the areas. BUT - only nailing them to the ceiling (not the walls) - to allow the ceiling to expand and contract.
This, may or may not be the situation with the issue you are looking at. But, it is something to keep in mind as a possible problem and a possible solution.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

A lot of time it is the truss load from the roffing we have gone up and put strong backs on the truss's to try and stop the cracks in the lid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

it sounds like you have movment in your structure the crown mold would cover it up or you could put an expantion joint 093
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

tape it feather out
Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling

If I understand you correctly, your angles are cracking. Try a mud on reinforced bead like No-coat 325 or Strait-Flex Mid Flex 3.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

how to fix some thing like that requires me, lol. yup, you have to retape the ceiling/wall. and ya, no coat tape would be the best thing for the house, not only would it be reinforced, but it leaves a great straight finish. ... when applying the first and last coat, use taping mud.. and apply with a 10 to 12 inch knife. garenteed to be a good finish
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #8

Cheapest would be to find a good quality caulk and hope for the best. There's really no guaranty to the fix even if you install backers to the trusses and retape as mentioned above, for that reason I'd discuss it with the HO and go from there.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,467

I'd use a elastomeric caulk. It will actually move w/ the expansions and contractions. I've had good luck w/ this. You can the caulk smooth or textured depending on what you need.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

I would open the cracks up and pack em with Durbond 90 in the brown bags it doesn't shrink and it aint gonna crack open then use straight flex fiber tape. if it cracks after that the people need to look for another house.

Advertisement