Using Hot Mud For Texture Patches - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Using Hot Mud For Texture Patches

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
G.C.

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 572

Using Hot Mud For Texture Patches

Anyone know the secrete to using hot mud for knock down or orange peel texture patches, (might be only in California),or if it is possible? I keep hearing that it is not possible and that people do it.

It seems like it would be too difficult to put the mud in a hopper or red tail before it dried and clogged up. If it is possible it would save us alot.

Can anyone clear up the mystery?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Re: Using Hot Mud For Texture Patches

Eagel, I have never put it in a hopper, but I have used it to match textures in repairs I have done, I let it set up and then use a spronge or wet rag and then smooth it over, take the points off the texture. I don't think you could get it thru the hopper fast enough before it set up on you. unless you could get your hands on 290 Durabond then mix on the soupy side. good luck

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Brocktologist llc.

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 250

I'd think that you might have a problem with the durabond flashing through the paint. Maybe throw a little durabond in your regular mud to help it cure faster might be a better way to go.
By the way I saw this little sprayer in action and was real impressed. I got to get one for patches because I am tired of spending big bucks on the spray cans of texture. http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-T...W8/ref=pd_bbs_

Old 12-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

It doesn't take long to spray small areas of texture, so 90 minute hot mud should work fine as long as you don't forget it is in your hopper.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

usually a 90 minute hot mud if mixed with "clean and cold " water and mixed very loose will give you alot more time than a normally mixed batch of the same 90 minute mud. yes it can be sprayed through a hopper . how well it goes depends on your plan .
Old 12-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
G.C.

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 572

Thanks alot for your help.

One more thing. Most of the good drywallwers around here use this product. or something similar, for even replacing one whole wall 10 x 8 high with texture. It gets clogged really easy fast.

thanks again.

Last edited by eagleandbaby; 12-16-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

I don't like to use hot mud for texturing. Ecspecially if your trying to paint the patch right after. Which I asume is why you want it to set quickly. Even though the hot mud sets up it still tends to take longer to completely dry when it's used in texturing. Also the consistency is constantely changing. Evan on a small patch I have found the regualar bucket mud works just fine. Simply because the bucket mud dries by air not a chemical reaction like w/ hotmud. After doing the mud work w/ hot mud on a small repair. I use a heatgun to thoroughly dry the joints and right before texturing I warm the surface to be textured. After texturing I start heating again w/ the heat gun. (unless it's knockdown. Then I will wait for it to start setting up naturlly before I knock it down. It will be dry and ready for paint in fifteen minutes.
Larger repairs I heatgun the joints so they are thoroughly dry. Then texure w/ regular mud. Then I put a fan or two and dry the patch that way. It will be dry in less than 45 minutes. And if it is all mostly dry but a couple spots I breakout the heatgun. Then paint. Still faster than using hot mud in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you use a blower? Do you use texture compound or do you use drying compound from a bucket?

All we use is texture mix and we stick a small blower fan in the room. For patches if you put a blower around the patch, that little bit of air flow will dry your texture faster than you might believe. Probably a much better and simpler solution then getting into setting compounds for texture.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Do you use a blower? Do you use texture compound or do you use drying compound from a bucket?
Fan or blower depending on the situation.

This is what I use for most of my texturing.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sir Mixalot; 02-17-2008 at 09:09 PM.