Un Faced Drywall - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Un Faced Drywall

Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Un Faced Drywall

I would like to DRYWALL my basement and would like to know if anyone has used the Unfaced drywall in the basement and what was your results compared to using faced drywall?

Is there more work to the unfaced compared to the faced?

Is it better to use the unfaced where there is dampness not say that I have dampness, it has a fiberglass surface on it which helps against mold and other items on the same line.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Re: Un Faced Drywall

I've used a few sheets..The hanging part of instalation is about the same. Its a little itchy, dulls blades quicker, but holds screws a little better. Finishes the same except,,, the overal texture of the board shows through paint without a skim coat or possibly the correct primmer. After I noticed the fiberglass mesh showing through, I just thinned some mud and skimmed the whole surface of the sheets. I was just doing a small bathroom, it would be a pretty big deal on an entire basement if you had to skim it all. Perhaps someone more versed on primer/fillers products could suggest something to hide the texture quicker and eaisier.

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #3

Trade: remodel
Rewards Points: 26

Re: Un Faced Drywall

I haven't used it, but I've heard that a high-build primer (sprayed, obviously) will also hide the texture... I've also heard the new purple board is much better than the old green, good enough for most applications to make the unfaced kinda pointless.

Take this for what it's worth, I haven't done a basement or a bathroom in awhile, so I haven't had a chance to use either one yet.

On a different note - if your basement is damp enough, or floods often enough, that you need moisture-resistant sheetrock... don't sheetrock it.