Toasted My Gun. - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Toasted My Gun.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...
Rewards Points: 500

Toasted My Gun.

Spent the last two days installing 98 sheets of underlay (all screwed down over 2'x2' metal tiles, a computer floor). First day had a box of 8000 screws, went through that by the end of the day. Second day, another box of screws and was going well until my screw gun gave out on me. I mostly do drywall and related interior work. My gun was a Dewalt that I've had for 12 years and served me well. I have to get another and I'm curious to what you guys would suggest??? What do you use and how do you like them??
Attached Images

Last edited by theworx; 02-11-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Toasted My Gun.

12 years? Damn, your should have taken some DNA from it when you had the chance so you could have it cloned.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
12 years? Damn, your should have taken some DNA from it when you had the chance so you could have it cloned.
12 years but it was rebuilt about three times. That's nothing, my partner has a dewalt gun that is 100% cast aluminum. The thing must be 20-25 years old. Didn't even know they (Dewalt) were making guns back then..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
Pro

You rockers should be able to reply??? What guns are you running or tried and how do you like them??? Another question, have you tried the cordless guns 12 or 14.4v etc... just looking for advice!!! I have to buy a new one and just want to know from the other pros what I might look into???
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Rewards Points: 2,000

Dura Spin, it's an auto load, I think Senco makes it, but I can't remember and I'm not going out to the shop to jog my brain, sorry.

It's a good gun, I've had it about a year, worked the crap out of it last fall and no complaints.

Well, let me re phrase that, if ya grip it to tight, it work up a hell of a blister in the thumb joint.
Bob

Last edited by Glasshousebltr; 02-14-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Best powertools that last. Milwaukee. But those might be hard for you to find. In my area Farmer Fleet carries them. But i don't think menards or lowes have milwaukee they carry like dewalt. If they do not the selection like farmer fleet has. I have a few power tools and there all milwaukee. Anybody else here ever here of milwaukee power tools?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Best powertools that last. Milwaukee. But those might be hard for you to find. In my area Farmer Fleet carries them. But i don't think menards or lowes have milwaukee they carry like dewalt. If they do not the selection like farmer fleet has. I have a few power tools and there all milwaukee. Anybody else here ever here of milwaukee power tools?
Heard on history channel that milwaukee started making riviting and shearing tools for the aircraft industry during WWII
Old 02-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
SAGE

Trade: Remodeler and Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Anybody else here ever here of milwaukee power tools?
Anybody else here NOT hear of milwaukee power tools?

747, just to get you in the know. Milwaukee is a very well known brand of power tools. I would be surprised to find someone on this site that hasn't heard of them. Oh ya, good tools too, for the most part.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
Pro

747, Milwaukee tools are available every where up here in Canada. Many of our subs use them (many have the full kit including the job site stereo/battery charger). They seem to like them. Personally have never tried them. I'll see if I can borrow a demo gun from my tool wholesaler to try out..

I would go right back to another Dewalt gun (Mike was amazed I had it for 12 years) but it spent about two of those years in the shop. Triggers, clutches, brushes, complete rebuilds, etc... Also, I'm really interested in getting a cordless (getting tired of holding up the end of a 12' sheet of 5/8 above my head and going to set the screw and your cord gets caught on something sending the screw on your gun flying). Happens too often. Tried one Makita cordless but was not impressed with the balance of it..
Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Metal Stud Framer

Trade: Commercial Construction, Metal Stud, Drywall & Aco
Rewards Points: 152

I have a DeWalt screw gun that's been used for just Sheetrock and I've had it for at least 11 years and it still runs but if I had to replace it it would be with one of >>These<<. 50 screws as fast as you can push and all the drywall companies use them here but then we're using a case or more of screws a week.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #11

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 10

the grabber screwgun that you see in the link above is a very good gun. you can buy just the gun without the super drive It's a heavy duty black and decker near as I can tell. We have maybe 6-8 of them and are happy with them. As far as cordless, I have a couple of 18 v. dewalts that I'm very happy with, they are drywall guns and not screw guns, most of the time I think you would have to order them.
Robert
Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

That Grabber gun looks interesting. I didn't know that they sold tools (only know them for the best screws I've ever used). I'll have to phone around and see if anyone here has them. I like the idea of the extension since I do some flooring underlay (and in the summer decks, side jobs on weekends). How expensive are the screws (I guess I'll have to check out the availability of those as well)?

Today tried a Milwaukee gun and liked it. Spins a little slower than my Dewalt did and that's a good thing. Doing almost all steel stud application, I would get the screw through the drywall but it would spin many times before grabbing the steel stud (causing a bit of paper fraying on almost every scew I put in). We mostly tape our own boarding and is a pain to have the deal with the little bits of paper protruding over the screw hole. With the Milwaukee, didn't have that problem once.. I might be sold (even though it isn't cordless). Still gonna look into the Grabber though . Thanx Guys!!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

anyone ever use a subfloor screw gun for installing ceiling screws?? or is this just crazy LOL!! We typically tack up all the ceiling first and then I have a guy go back and finish screwing whileI start taping/mudding...read small 2 man crew and trying to "stay busy", and this is on normal 8-10' ceilings.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #14

Trade: drywall

I have tried many screwguns and personally, I think the Dewalt seems to do the trick for me. But you are right, it does spin pretty fast!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #15

Trade: Drywall and Painting

A tool repairman told me dewalt screw guns are made for speed and not designed for high torque. Underlayment should be installed with a gun designed for torque. I stripped the guts out of my dewalt when using three inch screws for a deck project.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Drywall

I like Dewalt screw guns but I love my Milwalkee screw gun.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc-It! Drywall
I have tried many screwguns and personally, I think the Dewalt seems to do the trick for me. But you are right, it does spin pretty fast!
Welcome fellow Winnipegger!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Winkler Construction

Trade: Carpentry

Ive been thinking about buying a hilti. Has anyone tried there screwguns
Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #19

Trade: Remodeling/Painting
Rewards Points: 75

I have used the both senco dura spin(cord and cordless) and would never think of using anything else, , not sure how it would work on under layment. but its a must for sheet rockers.

Nick
Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkster01
Ive been thinking about buying a hilti. Has anyone tried there screwguns
Hilti is an awsome gun (have used one a few times). Quite light, well balanced, and the big thing is, it's very quiet!! Problem is the price, you can get a comparable gun to do the job for 1/3 the price...

To let you guys know, I ended getting my (DeWalt) gun rebuilt again and is good as new (It's been good to me for many years and I'm used to it). Another note, it's the model designed for decks/drywall and therefore has the added tourque (otherwise I wouldn't have used it for that application)..

Advertisement