Steel Stud Framing - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Steel Stud Framing

Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Steel Stud Framing

Can anyone provide some information on how to do steel stud framing interior and exterior? or a web page? I am starting to get into this and need to acquire a crew who knows how to, but I myself need to have an idea of "how to"
Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Steel Stud Framing

Contractors Bookstore has books on that subject. It is too broad to cover here. They are available online or in major cities.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wensdy View Post
Can anyone provide some information on how to do steel stud framing interior and exterior? or a web page? I am starting to get into this and need to acquire a crew who knows how to, but I myself need to have an idea of "how to"
Thanks.
call the carpenters local and get a crew. Best way to do it Well trained professionals are the best way to go. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Are you starting to get into it as a business, if so how can you bid work if you don't even know how to do it. I feel your best bet would be go to work for someone who is doing it right now and get a feel for it before you try to bid any work. It's not hard to do, but I could not imagine bidding work with out know alot about what I was bidding

Joe....
Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

W-O-W.

W-O-W.

Are you kidding me? You expect to learn how to frame commercial buildings simply by reading a book and hiring a crew?

Do you know what type of gauge goes where? What fire rating is required on a commercial partition? Do you know OSHA codes for structural exteriors? How high must the partition be AFF when acoustics are involved? How far must supports be placed when you are not going to the decking? What is the minimum length supports must be? Do you know what type of shot/pin to use on different substrates? Do you know where to float studs when you have obstacles such as HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing,etc..? What is the minimum length for headers? Can you even lay out a metal framed wall?

I can't even ask anymore questions, I am disgusted. You need to know more than just "how to", you need to KNOW. Types, specs,regulations,installation,repair,etc.. Commercial construction is a completley different world than your piece work residential. I know I sound like a di*k, but it's the truth, and you could ruin your name if you try this with the method you are planning on taking.

Take Classic's advice and go to work for someone...you will get eaten alive if you try this with books and high hopes.

Last edited by Mud Master; 07-29-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

I`m with this guys,

Anyway by a book ,but work for someone,for a while.Join forces with some more experiented guys ,until you think have the whole picture of it .

After that you are on very begining !

You must start from bottom ,that`s the way how it works.

Good luck !
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #7

Mud Man: Moving from FL. to do some commercial steel framing up in NC. What are you thought on piecework? Interior, exterior, no soffits, no lifts, PT deck and insurance?

Advertisement