Sinking Footings... - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Sinking Footings...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeling - kitchen/bath
Rewards Points: 10

Sinking Footings...

Hi All,

I’m obviously new to the forum and hate to start a new thread; however, I’ve been “skimming” prior threads looking for answers to some questions but can’t find the answers….

Anyways, I just underpinned my garage footings raising them about 7” in the front and about 5” in the back – this obviously affected rafter height. Not the full 7 & 5 inches though because some moron had shimmed the entire garage up, just not enough. I didn’t notice it at the time (prepping for paint by skimming now), but this caused some issues on the wall separating the living room and garage.

1) I’ve got significant separation in a few places from the ceiling and wall.
- What do you think about filling the gap and flat taping the wall to get a nice crisp line between the ceiling and wall? I don’t really want to mess around with the ceiling because it has a texture that nobody has been able to identify (some type of stomp). I did the same in a bedroom over a closet and ran a bead of caulk across the top – looks great but I don’t know about doing the entire span of the wall.

2) I’ve got two corners that look like garbage from shotty patch work.
- What’s the easiest way to clean these up?

3)I’ve got a few cracks under/above the door and window on the wall.
-Paper or mesh tape?

I’m no drywall expert by any means. All my work is usually new construction and hidden behind something so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,916

Re: Sinking Footings...

Prefill gaps with quikset , flat tape and caulk.

Cut out cracks,add screws , mesh and quickset.

Don't know what you mean by crappy corners?? Skim and sand?? If it's the texture............Good luck!

Advertisement