Sand Texture - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Sand Texture

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler/Handyman
Rewards Points: 16

Sand Texture

Any suggestions on whether a wall with sand texture old house 1940's can be skimmed with mud? Situation is an old stairwell upper half has the original sand textured wall the bottom half was not framed just open space. We were tasked with doing a complete remodel in the basement and of course finsihed off the bottom half of the stairwell with drywall (smooth surface) Problem is bottom half is smooth ......top half has original sand texture. I know they have the additives etc but it seems that you can never get just the right consistency. Wondering if its easier/faster simply to skim the upper half with some mud so that it will match the bottom half that is new drywall. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this type of scenario.

Last edited by toomuch; 04-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Sand Texture

mix some sand (course or fine depending on what you have there now) in with some reallllllllly thin wall texture and spray it. we have done many like this! Or you can skim the whole wall. If you skim it I would deff. use a good bonding primer first and would use only hot mud!!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler/Handyman
Rewards Points: 16

I'm really leaning towards skimming the upper half that has the sand texture. Were not experts on drywall finishing and normally sub out the drywall/taping but this job is relatively small so I'm taking it on myself.... Why hot mud? Would the basic lightweight Plus 3 mud work? Does the hot mud dry harder than lightweight like plaster thus more appropriate? I have only used it a handful of times namely because of the setup time. Hot mud seems to have a decent learning curve and also is hard to sand from what I remember. Might be out of my league

Does the existing wall need to be primed before skimming it? The existing finish coat of paint is close to a worn down semi-gloss that I would need to go over..

Last edited by toomuch; 04-07-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuch View Post
I'm really leaning towards skimming the upper half that has the sand texture. Were not experts on drywall finishing and normally sub out the drywall/taping but this job is relatively small so I'm taking it on myself.... Why hot mud? Would the basic lightweight Plus 3 mud work? Does the hot mud dry harder than lightweight like plaster thus more appropriate? I have only used it a handful of times namely because of the setup time. Hot mud seems to have a decent learning curve and also is hard to sand from what I remember. Might be out of my league

Does the existing wall need to be primed before skimming it? The existing finish coat of paint is close to a worn down semi-gloss that I would need to go over..

I would prime with cover stain oil and the skim smooth. It sounds like it would be the lesser problem to skim the upper half. Good luck
Scrape it first!

Last edited by Big Shoe; 04-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.