Repairing Pops N' Joints Under Paint - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Repairing Pops N' Joints Under Paint

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Repairing Pops N' Joints Under Paint

Got a remodel job with alot of nail pops and bad joint finishing under eggshell paint. Any suggestions on a process for repairing these,other than sanding through paint n' primer....
The nail pops i think i got....bang n' fill...Right? The field is all screwed, nails poppin at the joints n' corners.

Last edited by D.Foster; 05-10-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Repairing Pops N' Joints Under Paint

If the budget will bear it, reprime the whole mess, light it up, rescrew as needed, spackle, spot prime , repaint, GMOD

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Foster View Post
Got a remodel job with alot of nail pops and bad joint finishing under eggshell paint. Any suggestions on a process for repairing these,other than sanding through paint n' primer....
The nail pops i think i got....bang n' fill...Right? The field is all screwed, nails poppin at the joints n' corners.
I have done alot of warranty work in the past, so I'll chime in...

What makes you think the nail pops won't come back? IMO if they didn't hold the first time, there is always the possibility they will back out again. I always pull them out, sink in a new one in that area, and skim.
I would retape any cracked joints, they always seem to come back if you don't.

Egg shell doesn't touch up well, so you can plan on painting from corner to corner on any effected walls.

Want to contact us? - Call ~ 765.279.8271
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCo. View Post
I have done alot of warranty work in the past, so I'll chime in...

What makes you think the nail pops won't come back? IMO if they didn't hold the first time, there is always the possibility they will back out again. I always pull them out, sink in a new one in that area, and skim.
I would retape any cracked joints, they always seem to come back if you don't.

Egg shell doesn't touch up well, so you can plan on painting from corner to corner on any effected walls.
So a new nail wont drop?? Or did you mean a screw? Or a ring shank?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,320

I personally would stick a screw back in, but most of the nails I've pulled weren't grabbing good, or placed good at all. I really don't think it matters what you use as a replacement, but be good and sure it hits home, and is holding.

Want to contact us? - Call ~ 765.279.8271
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,222

Add new screws .......cut out nail pops/blisters...tap in old nails and mud up. If tape is solid, then float out the bad joints. then reprime and paint.

As always ...Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Shoe For This Useful Post:
Capt-Sheetrock (05-11-2010), D.Foster (05-12-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Big Shoe is right on track with bad tape joints. Float em out with new mud, texture if required, prime and repaint. If tape joint is cracked or loose then its a redo on effected joint area.

Nail pops are way to common. I did warrent repair work for quite some time. Nails are usally used to hold up the rock untill it can be screwed down. Mostly on the ceiling. If its where the wall meets the ceiling, take a nail punch and drive the nail all the way through. the wall rock should be butted against ceiling rock so replacing is not necessary. Clean loose paint and such around hole, fill with lightweight spackle, and wipe area around hole with damp cloth. Its easier to hide a pencil eraser size hole verses a quarter or 50cent size area because you left filler all around the hole to dry.
If its a screw, use a screw driver and tighten the screw and apply same process above with filler.
If you keep your repair areas nice and small you can most of the time get away with just useing a artist brush and dab paint on repaired area. I try to keep the paint thick as possible when I do this. If its a orange peel textured wall you can pull the paint with the artist brush and create a texture with the paint.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to frankster For This Useful Post:
D.Foster (05-12-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 268

We do a lot of insurance work, and customers want the walls touched up, with the walls already being painted, we re-screw in the pop screws, or hammer in the nails, and coat with pro set 30..this will allow your other coats of mud to grip to the wall...works also with joints etc...

J

Advertisement

Tags
nail pop repairs , settling crack repairs