Reading Blue Prints For Drywall - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Reading Blue Prints For Drywall

Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Reading Blue Prints For Drywall

hello there i`m a drywaller looking for an easy way to read blue prints for bidding jobs for drywall any help is greatly needed thank you anyone and evryone. SMILES DRYWALL

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Reading Blue Prints For Drywall

First off, I am not a drywaller, but recently I was asked to bid on just the drywall portion of a remodel and just had blueprints to work with. In a way it was easier, as I didn't have to take any measurements. I just sat down at the kitchen table for a few minutes and had everything I needed to put the bid together. I used a sq. ft. price and put a good margin on it being a little nervous about not seeing the job. Also several other subs working so I didn't know how great access or set up for the job would be.

I really didn't expect to land it but I did and it went great. In fact I landed a granite install which will go in about two weeks.

Rich

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #3

how did you know how much board to order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty hammond
how did you know how much board to order?

Length Multiplied by height= the square footage to order. the guys here in TN, charge by the square foot to hang and finish....usually the finisher bids the job at a certain amount and then pays a hanging crew out of that, and he then finishes it....or at least thats how they do it here for the most part!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

First off I don't hang drywall. But what you need to look at is the size of the board your using. A sq. ft. price would be the way to go. Some of my subs do it by the board. How much board do you buy? If your doing 400 sq.ft. of area are you using 8', 10', 12' boards. If you use 10' (4'x10'=40 sq.ft. thus 10 boards should cover 400 sq.ft.), perhaps add 10% or so for waste.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

I wired a big addition/remodel in which the sheetrock guys were 60 odd boards short in their calculations. Ouch! In fairness, the house was really cut up, odd angles and slopes, all different ceiling heights, curved walls, etc. I'm sure that it sucked for them.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk
I wired a big addition/remodel in which the sheetrock guys were 60 odd boards short in their calculations. Ouch! In fairness, the house was really cut up, odd angles and slopes, all different ceiling heights, curved walls, etc. I'm sure that it sucked for them.
I take back my 10% for waste. Goes to show.... you can't judge a book (prints) by it's cover. You need to go out and look at every job.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM   #8

here in michigan drywall is bid on board foot which is hieght times width by how many. all i get on blue prints are floor footage is there a formula to something times floor footage to get a close to accurate board footage?
alot of times here i get blue prints and the darn thing isn`t even built yet.!!
and they want the bid in yesterday! any other ideals? thanks SMILES DRYWALL
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #9

There is no formula for the floor plans. In order to get the height you need the elevation drawing. But like MD said you might get screwed if it's cut up. You need to see the job or have a better set of prints. I am working on 3 upcoming projects, today I put a call into my drywaller for his current board/ sq ft. price so I can give a price to the client. When it comes time I will have the drywaller give me an exact price. Me being the GC gave the client a price including my profit. If I screwed up the measurements or how it was cut up, it will eat into my profits.

Not sure who you are dealing with, but you need more info. I tell my subs everything, and I look to them to tell me everything. Until the job is complete you are all in this together.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Scale Master II® Plan Measure
For construction pros and estimators looking for the fastest, most accurate and versatile way to do "take offs" from prints and plans. The Scale Master II features 91 built-in scales to cover virtually any application. There are even eight "custom" scales that can be set by the user to accommodate prints plans that have been faxed, enlarged, reduced or are unscaled. Instantly calculates regular shapes areas and volumes. Features accumulating memory, subtract key, push-button counter and auto-count mode. PC Interface capability built-in. (Requires PC Interface Kit, DSM65A, sold at $74.53instead of $88.00). Includes user's guide, lithium batteries and case.
DSM65 List Price: $118.00 - AOE Price: $99.93

They have these in cheaper styles with no electronics. Just a rolling dial type. Make sure your blue prints are accurate. Set your "plan measure" to the same scale as your prints. Do your "take offs" / run your wall lengths and then times that number by your wall heigths. Ceiling width by length. Add 30% for scrap or profit unless drywalling is a hobby.

Last edited by johnjamesalaska; 12-30-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #11

buy a scale master and set your scale to the scale on the prints and do a lineal foot around the perimeter walls and interior walls and multiply by the wall hgt. that will give you your total square foot then divide by the square foot in a sheet of drywall 32 for a 4 x 8; 40 for a 4 x 10; and 48 for a 4 x 12
Old 12-31-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

To All,
Ceilings = length x width
Exterior walls = total length x height
Interior walls = Total of linial footage taken off print x height x 2 (2 sides of walls)
Although I much prefer to go in and do a room by room tally to see what will be the most economical size board to use taking into account of closet areas and small sections to minimize waste. Just something to ponder.
Joe
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty hammond
here in michigan drywall is bid on board foot which is hieght times width by how many. all i get on blue prints are floor footage is there a formula to something times floor footage to get a close to accurate board footage?
alot of times here i get blue prints and the darn thing isn`t even built yet.!!
and they want the bid in yesterday! any other ideals? thanks SMILES DRYWALL

back in the days of 8' boxes, there used to be a formula for taking of drywall that way, but ...at least here in socal, those nice easy houses are loooong gone. .....roll the wall lengths, and mult. by their heights.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I do the same as Bazooka, width X ht for a whole house. I specialize in kitch & bath remods, the price goes up here.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

In long form.... prints are easy to calculate exact sq footage needed. Example if a room is 12x10 with 8 foot ceilings we knowthis...(12x8)x2 + (10x8)x2+(12x10) = exact sq ftg for that room. Basically (walls)x2+(wall)x2+ceiling= total. You cant account for scrap I never heard of such a thing....lol. Are you saying you guys subtract the space for exale a large window goes in?? I never heard of that. I mean if you gotta cut down an 8 footer the you still charge the customer for 32sq ft. right?

Advertisement