Plaster Vs Drywall - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Plaster Vs Drywall

Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Tile Contractor

Trade: Floorcovering
Rewards Points: 25

Plaster Vs Drywall

Hello all. I live in a house over 100 years old the attic has never been finnished out yet. and I am checking into insullating it and doing plaster walls instead of drywall. the rest of the house is plastered.

any drywallers able to give me a cost vs cost on drywall vs plaster?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Plaster Vs Drywall

Didn't know you could cover floors in plaster...just joking...

Why plaster when you could drywall with a smooth-wall finish?

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Tile Contractor

Trade: Floorcovering

i like the look of plaster and it would be alot of fun to teach myself the process.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
STUCCO/EIFS/PLASTER

Trade: Plastering/Stucco/EIFS

Are you kidding me? PLASTER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Especially in an older house like that in which the integrity of all plaster walls are still in tact. If you want any tips or want to know where to start just drop me a PM or ask me here and I'll help you along the way.

Depending on the size of the attic would make the difference in cost effectiveness for both. Where as I can scratch and brown-coat a 10x10 room in 1 long work day and finish the room the following day (around 18-20 man hours), a drywaller would have to come back 3-4 days to do the same work. But when you are talking an entire house then of course drywall would be faster but an inferior product to say the least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlasterMaster For This Useful Post:
bostonplaster (08-18-2011), fjn (09-29-2012)
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Pro

Believe me, if you've never plastered before, drywall and then smoothwall is the better way to go. At least then you have your base to work from.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
STUCCO/EIFS/PLASTER

what does drywall and "smoothwall" mean? LOL I've seen it a lot on this website. Does that mean that plaster isnt a smooth wall? Of course drywalling is easier because the wall is up for you and all you have to do is tape the seams. But I personally am glad people dont all think like that. It is that frame of mind that is putting a lot of the old ARTISTIC CREATIVITY to rest because people now want what is easier and cheaper then what is BETTER!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Just my opinion but plaster kicks drywalls ass everytime, allbeit for a little more mula, but is better looking, more fireproof, more sound deadenning, more solid and long lasting...
fjn (09-29-2012)
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
STUCCO/EIFS/PLASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz the Painter
Just my opinion but plaster kicks drywalls ass everytime, allbeit for a little more mula, but is better looking, more fireproof, more sound deadenning, more solid and long lasting...

I couldnt agree more!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasterMaster
Depending on the size of the attic would make the difference in cost effectiveness for both. Where as I can scratch and brown-coat a 10x10 room in 1 long work day and finish the room the following day (around 18-20 man hours), a drywaller would have to come back 3-4 days to do the same work. But when you are talking an entire house then of course drywall would be faster but an inferior product to say the least.
3-4 days to drywall to finish a 10x10 room? That's actually a job that can be done shortly after lunch.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
STUCCO/EIFS/PLASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
3-4 days to drywall to finish a 10x10 room? That's actually a job that can be done shortly after lunch.

WOW drywall put up along with 3-4 coats of mud shortly after lunch? Your guys must be the best What are guys suppose to do in one man day? Like 30-35 sheets if not on a straight flat wall? So someone should be able to rock that in a few hours right? Then tape all the seams and remud them 2-3 times in 2 minutes to complete the day? What I was saying, is that someone would normally come back to do that room in 3-4 days time, so you have someone still showing up a few days just like someone plastering would have to do. There is obviously a time differential in something done by hand and walls that have been machine made and thrown up with a few hundred screws. My money will always ride on real plaster if possible. Drywall S*CKS A**! There is nothing about that product that is good except that it saves people money. The almighty dollar over workmanship, that is what the U.S is all about. That is like telling a union electrician in chicago that running romex throughout a home is better or equal to running conduit or flexible conduit throughout a home. Forget how awesome chicago plasterers are when it comes to making awesome bends in conduit, just go with the cheaper way of doing things and just run romex. UGHHH!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Moved to Drywall.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
Pro

Maybe you are used to union drywallers or something?

All I am saying is a 10x10 room is a small project and can be done with 2 guys in less than 10 man hours if they know what they are doing. It's more like 12-15 sheets of drywall not 30, especially if they use sheets bigger than 4x8. Setting compounds, topping compounds aren't the same animals as what you are thinking about with somebody using drying compounds and leaving a coat to dry till the next day. 3-4 coats would also be overkill for skilled workers, 2 - 3 is more like it. If you took it to a level 5 finish then we are talking the full day only because of the final skim coat and the care required which equals more time.

Just stating the facts not an opinion of drywall or plaster is good or bad. I'm not an artist, I could careless about whether a wall gets plaster or drywall, not married to either one, not a fan of one over the other, one isn't any better than the other because there is no better, only what fills the scope of work required to complete whatever the project requires.

Where I am from plaster means more time more labor, higher quality project when complete if you are talking about smooth walls, totally different look and feel, drywall means less time, less money, faster to complete, usually textured with a knock down finish.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
Pro

I was a grunt for a plastering contractor in Chicago. He also trained me to plaster. I am by no means an expert, but it is no job for a newbe unless he is just wanting to play around on his own house. A good taper can use hot mud and be done pretty quick.

Smooth-wall is done by drywalling normally. Then the finisher comes in and skims the walls and ceilings just like the plasterers do. The results look awesome with less labor.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Pro

I wonder if there is much of a difference between a good plaster job and a good level 5 drywall finish?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Paint and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 150

I'm all for the plaster if you have the additional $$ and you're willing to wait the extra time. (you still have to wait a while to paint the plaster, right?) If its price and speed you're after then drywall all the way. Most likely once it's finished you'll be the only one who knows or really cares what is under that paint.

I agree that the whole palster thing is more of an art these days. PlasterMaster, this should make you happy. You probably don't have to slave away for beggars pay like most drywall guys. You should be telling everyone that plaster is far too specialized for any novice to even attempt. Only those who have served lengthy appreticeships could ever turn out a "real" plaster job. I'd believe ya!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
Pro

I always thought drywall was a more stable product such as the house settles and stuff like earthquakes. Plaster breaks where ever the wall bends. But, I'm wondering, is there an additive that can make plaster stronger...like what they do for concrete flat work.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #17

Trade: residential builder
Rewards Points: 75

anybody plaster or drywall over Autoclaved Aerated Concrete ??
please feel free to respond with general complaints and gripes as well as anything pleasant as well.
any and all info is greatly appreciated
Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 AM   #18
30+ years as a G.C.

Trade: General Contractor & Material Developer
Rewards Points: 10

Plaster is 100 times better than drywall as a finish product, lasts for 100's of years even if it gets a little wet. Drywall is just paper and chalk and damages very easy. Only plaster its very very costly because of all the labour (much higher skilled trades required) and the amount of time to do it.... unless.... you use an alternative board material that can be cut with a knife and screwed on studs work like a drywall, does not need taping and provides the same look and feel of plaster in the end.

Last edited by Top Cat; 07-22-2006 at 01:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Top Cat For This Useful Post:
fjn (09-29-2012)
Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat
Plaster is 100 times better than drywall as a finish product, lasts for 100's of years even if it gets a little wet. Drywall is just paper and chalk and damages very easy. Only plaster its very very costly because of all the labour (much higher skilled trades required) and the amount of time to do it.... unless.... you use an alternative board material that can be cut with a knife and screwed on studs work like a drywall, does not need taping and provides the same look and feel of plaster in the end.
Is this called blue boarding?

What is under modern plaster? I can't imagine their is lath being applied?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #20
30+ years as a G.C.

Trade: General Contractor & Material Developer
Rewards Points: 10

No its called magnesiacore and its a screw on stud board that can be T&G jointed to eliminate taping.

Advertisement