Patching Over Semi Gloss Oil Based Paint - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Patching Over Semi Gloss Oil Based Paint

Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

Trade: electrician by trade, general contractor, cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 100

Patching Over Semi Gloss Oil Based Paint

I have to repair the ceiling in a customers indoor pool "house". The ceilings are painted with an oil based semi gloss paint. Do I need to prime the ceiling patch area with guardz or pro block or something else, or am I ok to just clean it and patch?

I've always primed the painted area with pro block, the damaged area with guardz and then do my mudding, but I wanted to ask the pros what they reccomend.

Thanks again for all the help.

Will

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

Re: Patching Over Semi Gloss Oil Based Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukinut View Post
I have to repair the ceiling in a customers indoor pool "house". The ceilings are painted with an oil based semi gloss paint. Do I need to prime the ceiling patch area with guardz or pro block or something else, or am I ok to just clean it and patch?

I've always primed the painted area with pro block, the damaged area with gaurdz and then do my mudding, but I wanted to ask the pros what they reccomend.

Will
I always prime oil around the perimeter of the repair with a Kilz or BIN spray can. Unless it's a big area I'll roll it out. Gardz works great on regular ceilings. Except when there's water stains, then I'll hit it with one of the oil base stain blocking primers.

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 07-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Thank you sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,798

I would prime the area to be repaired with an oil base primer before starting any repairs.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 4,816

Quote:

I've always primed the painted area with pro block, the damaged area with guardz and then do my mudding, but I wanted to ask the pros what they reccomend.

Will
Don't believe you mentioned the cause of repair.

I've seen pool area ceilings that were literally destroyed by moisture.

Is it moisture related? Or due to alteration/damage?

Last edited by artinall; 08-07-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 2,716

Glossy surfaces, especially oil based, should be sanded until dull for best adhesion
Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

[/quote]Don't believe you mentioned the cause of repair.

I've seen pool area ceilings that were literally destroyed by moisture.

Is it moisture related? Or due to alteration/damage?[/QUOTE]

First time there was a roof leak, I fixed it and 2 days later the a/c drain line in the attic took it out. This time, a settling crack allowed moisture in. Settling was due to a cracked knot rafter caused by a/c guys being idiots.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
First time there was a roof leak, I fixed it and 2 days later the a/c drain line in the attic took it out. This time, a settling crack allowed moisture in. Settling was due to a cracked knot rafter caused by a/c guys being idiots.
I would use oil too, but if there is stress cracking/shearing then glass tape instead of paper (not "fiberglass" just to be clear) for patch along with setting-type compound.

Some pool rooms are practically dripping in water. Have seen paper tape lift, and beginning to hang in a sort of sick celebration all over off the ceiling (big name hotel chain here locally). Can't close the room down? Can't get it fixed.

Where moisture was a known problem in some situations I have primed the backside of wallboard before it goes up which may help in the future anyway ... (such as for high moisture wall cavity having a shower in the other side) but be careful, as this may also create a moisture barrier.

You may even hit it with growth preventative - but of course I can't see it or what is potentially coming through.

I'd be concerned about a rafter settling that much that quick even though it may not be your problem. Was it too large a drill out?

Note: they may need to stabilize 1st (sister-on or other remedy) given access.

Hope this helps,

Art

Last edited by artinall; 08-08-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Art,

I fixed the rafter first, and then did the patch. I tried that fibafuse tape. Didn't wanna run the risk of having the tape lift like you stated, and I was out of mesh tape. So I bought and tried fibafuse. For whatever reason I can't get pics to load from my phone or I would show you the problem and the fix.

Will
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Art,

I fixed the rafter first, and then did the patch. I tried that fibafuse tape. Didn't wanna run the risk of having the tape lift like you stated, and I was out of mesh tape. So I bought and tried fibafuse. For whatever reason I can't get pics to load from my phone or I would show you the problem and the fix.

Will
I've had great luck with Fibafuse and it can be backfilled, if the mix is thin enough.

I use on flat surfaces only, it can tear on inner corners.

Advertisement