New EPA Cert - Drywall - Contractor Talk

New EPA Cert

Old 03-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Trade: Steel Stud/Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

New EPA Cert

I haven't actually read all of the fine print or anything yet, but does this new law require the contractor or the slave err employee to be certified?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: New EPA Cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_otto714 View Post
I haven't actually read all of the fine print or anything yet, but does this new law require the contractor or the slave err employee to be certified?

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #3

Trade: Steel Stud/Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

Jack, I see that you are in Lakewood. I'm pretty much next door in Santa Ana. I'm basically trying to figure out if I have have to fork out $185 to get certified in order to continue working, or if it is the "Licensed Contractors" job. I know $185 dollars is cheaper than most of the tools that I own, but times are tough after all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

You probably didn't see these two hidden threads....

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/ne...erstand-63265/
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/rr...stopped-75252/

Don't worry. They're light reading....
Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

From what I have read anyone doing the work has to be certified and if you are not you can't do any work, the certs only cover a individual if your a company and your looking to cover your employees you have to contact the EPA for training.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 126

The basics http://blog.sls-construction.com/?p=429

Clif notes --- Your firm must be certified (one man shop, rental property owner, or multi national - it doesn't matter) - you must use a certified renovator as required and they can train other workers
RCPainting (04-16-2010)
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Trade: builder
Rewards Points: 35

It applies to buildings built before 1978 that have young children or pregnant women in residence and only for renovation where the existing wall is being disturbed. If you are putting in new drywall or dealing with house with no children or no pregnant women or built after 1978 it does not come under the requirements of the EPA RRP rule.

With the new EPA RRP rule the main consideration is not the certification training and fee so much as the requirement that all power tools be connected to a true HEPA vacuum. A standard shop or drywall vacuum with a HEPA filter added does not qualify. This will generate more demand for drywall sanders which are rare in the USA but commonly used in Europe and Asia.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

I have used a dust collector for years and from what I have read if you vent it to the outside of the house it is fine, the machine I use moves 1500 cube feet per minute, I don't worry about dust, it's just a pain in the butt to have to keep putting up that plastic and then getting it in trash bags to throw out after each job, the cost of visqueen is a pain But when installing the plastic who would of thought that adding plastic all over someones house could bring in extra thousand dollars just for it. We use to put plastic sheets up just to keep dust down and now I can charge for and no ones says anything Thank You EPA! Crap just in plastic costs I could make some extra money

Advertisement