New To Auto Tools And Just Used My New Bazooka For The Fist Time! - Drywall - Contractor Talk

New To Auto Tools And Just Used My New Bazooka For The Fist Time!

Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry and Cabinet Making
Rewards Points: 186

New To Auto Tools And Just Used My New Bazooka For The Fist Time!

Hey guys,

So I知 new to auto taping and just used my tools for the first time. To begin with, I知 a fairly decent hand taper and I wanted to get into auto tools to increase my productivity. I do enough remodeling work to make it worthwhile and up until now I always hand taped everything. I知 primarily a carpenter and a cabinetmaker though.

Today I taped the kitchen in my house with my auto tools. I wanted to start in my own home because I really need to learn the tools and lucky for me, I知 in the process of remodeling a fair amount of it, so I took a gamble and bought a new set of tools. This worked out really well because I壇 hate to have to learn these tools on a customer痴 home. Anyways, my hats off to you guys that have these tools mastered! They are far more difficult to use than they look!

Ok, so first impressions. The zook is fun! You wouldn稚 believe the smile I had on my face while running a 20 foot ceiling joint it痴 just unreal how fast you can tape with this thing! It took a few joints overhead to get a feel for using the creaser to get the tape to stick, but once I got that down I was flying. I still have a really hard time advancing the tape with the gooser at the end of a run. I need to get that sequence down better: run, pause and cut, run and goose to advance right?

Vertical seams in the wall aren稚 too bad. I got used to running the tape out a little long when starting at the bottom to make it easier on myself. Horizontals are a piece of cake! Although I still have trouble cutting and advancing the tape. You guys just make it look so easy! It痴 like you don稚 even pause, and I知 sitting there for like 10 seconds trying to do it right and still screw it up! Oh well, I知 sure I値l get that down.

Corners are interesting. Once I got the idea down on starting the tape kind of long and using varying pressure on the creaser to control how much I would drag the tape, I could get the starting end to be about where I wanted it pretty easily. My cuts at the end were the problem though I still need to get down the visual on where to cut to have the tape end at the right spot. Lucky for me this was great practice cause I知 going to crown mold it anyways. The corner roller was easy and I found that I could drag the tape around a bit more for positioning with that. However, the mechanical angle head is a PITA! Don稚 get me wrong, but when the 3 head would flush it out without tearing the tape in the inside corner it was BEAUTIFUL! I mean, those corners looked unbelievable! I can feel the leading edge dig in right as it tears the paper tape though, so maybe I知 doing something weird or putting too much pressure on it at that moment. Any pointers?

Ok, so in the end I知 really glad I bought these tools. They are all Level 5 (I don稚 have the money for the more expensive stuff right now, and these actually look like they are made really well) and I have all extendable handles which are awesome! I致e got a long way to go and I知 going to keep working on it. I知 stoked about getting out the flat boxes next though! I did learn some big lessons today though: declutter the work area first (I got off course a bit while stepping around stuff), and get ready to get wet when cleaning these tools (I spent about an hour cleaning everything and they look like they have never been used now maybe that痴 a bit excessive?). Well, any words of encouragement or pointers you can offer?

Thanks!

-Dan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubwelder For This Useful Post:
CrpntrFrk (03-15-2015), icerock drywall (03-15-2015), Sir Mixalot (03-15-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Pro

Re: New To Auto Tools And Just Used My New Bazooka For The Fist Time!

Here's a few pictures:

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubwelder For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-15-2015), icerock drywall (03-15-2015), Sir Mixalot (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Sounds like you got it down for the most part. I had a taper come show me how to run the Zooka for a couple days. It helped tremendously! I had been running boxes for years but never used a bazooka before.

On your tape, you will want to make sure you have mud at the beginning of the tape. What I do is hold to the tape and roll the zooka on the wall to drive the mud dog up a bit to get that little bit of mud on the beginning of the tape.

With the angle head, make sure you are using even force on the head. Try to push directly in the center as much as possible. This may be what is causing the tape to rip.

Take care of your tools and oil them up. DO NOT use WD-40 as it will likely do more harm than good. I like to use air tool oil. After a job it over, I douse everything in air tool oil.

Have fun!!

Last edited by CrpntrFrk; 03-15-2015 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrpntrFrk For This Useful Post:
Cubwelder (03-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Sounds like you got it down for the most part. I had a taper come show me how to run the Zooka for a couple days. It helped tremendously! I had been running boxes for years but never used a bazooka before.

On your tape, you will want to make sure you have mud at the beginning of the tape. What I do it hold on to the tape on roll the zooka on the wall to drive the mud dog up a bit to get that little bit of mud on the beginning of the tape.

With the angle head, make sure you are using even force on the head. Try to push directly in the center as much as possible. This may be what is causing the tape to rip.

Take care of your tools and oil them up. DO NOT use WD-40 as it will likely do more harm than good. I like to use air tool oil. After a job it over, I douse everything in air tool oil.

Have fun!!
Yea, getting the tape started with mud on it is the challenge. it seems like u need to goose out the tape at the same time as rolling the taper, it's tricky I guess but I'm sure I'll get it.

I think you're right about my problem tearing the tape with the angle head. I'm gonna have to work on that.

Yea, I plan on keeping everything oiled up well. I bought some bazooka oil from allwall along with a cleaning kit. I'm really looking forward to running the boxes. I'll put up more pics after that!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: drywall junky
Rewards Points: 498

Best thing you can do for the zooka is keep the head in tranny fluid. Couldn't believe it myself either but it works great. Coffee can behind the door in my shop. Spray it off and drop it in. Close the gate first.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Pro

Did a little more work yesterday. Basically just ran the 10" flat box around. It went pretty well, but i need to practice crossing over the butt seams while taping the tapered seams.

Advertisement