Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Need help with huge wall

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst 
#1 ·
I need some input, I just started working for a GC and he is seeing how resourceful I am. He is having me bid on and figure out the construction details of a metal stud wall with 5/8 sheetrock.

To be honest I am a little intimidated by the size of the project. The wall is 200’ in length 18’ high at the ends and 25’ at the peak. Concrete floor with 4” pipe supporting the I-beam that the perlins tie into to support the roof. I need to run the wall up to the I-beam. I also have to tape the seams for the fire code.

He says it should take 2 guys 2 days: ramset the track to the floor and underside of I-beam, 1 guy on the lift giving measurements to the guy on the ground, he cuts to size and lifts up the pc. to the guy in the lift who attaches and on and on…. that part makes sense, I just have some questions regarding the particulars of layout.

1. I don’t have a clue on how to get the sheetrock up to the higher areas, is there a particular manlift that can be rented that makes that an easier proposition?

2. Having never worked with 20 plus foot metal studs (20g) should I shoot for doubling them up where seam ends (I will be staggering the seams from row to row) are going to be or just make sure everything is lined up accurately?

3. As far as time to attach the boards, once again I am lost; I come up with 8600sq ft of board for both sides of the wall.

4. Finally if I am lost on question 3, then what to estimate for mud and taping the seams is in another galaxy.

Obviously my boss is testing me, I have no doubt in the first 5 minutes we were at the job he knew how much everything is going to be, he just wants to see what I come up with.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

See less See more
#3 ·
4 man-days to build the wall, sheet it and tape it? Both sides? Sorry, can't help, that doesn't sound even close to me.

#5 ·
On wood framing I always figured 1500 sq ft per man per day. But with the heights you are looking at I would say 1000 sq ft/day/1 man at max. The cuts will get rather interesting up at the top, along with all the taping. I would add another day for 2 men on that.

I would certainly rent a lift for that project. We did a church a while back and we had enough capacity on the lift for 2 guys and 6 sheets of rock. So we would load it up and just measure and cut up in the air. Just make sure no one is below when the scrap is getting thrown down and watch out not to drive over scrap. A couple a stacked pieces will give a hell of a ride if you drive over them with lift extended...trust me:)

#6 ·
Yeah the lifts I have called about (electric) have a capacity of 700lbs,
they supposedly can run all day on 1 charge (plug in over night).

Although the wall will be inside a warehouse I was trying to come up with a solution for the floor, if water gets on the floor is there some material we could use to hold the drywall a couple of inches off the floor that would still meet the 1 hour fire rating of 5/8" dywall?

#7 · (Edited)
I am not aware of anything. The Fire proof wood we use only comes in 2 By X dimensions. Do some research to see if there are other sizes of fireproof wood in your area. Simple method - Call your local commercial building supply place and speak to them about what you want to do with raising the sheets off the floor and see what materials they suggest.

As far as the rest of your situation, we have done EXACT same jobs as this, even the exact same measurements: 200' x 18'warehouse walls.

It sounds like you are getting into it with not enough experience. This is not a bad job to do. The problem arises when someone (your boss) dumps it on 'you' and expects quick work and quick results - When you haven't done it before.

You need to use the lift to get the sheets up to the higher areas. Your boss needs to make sure that he gets the longer length lifts if you are using 12 footers laid horizontally. If you are standing them up: 2 guys on the lift grab the sheet and raise it with the lift, while third guy is on the bottom raising it too. He has to walk up an 8' step ladder laid flat against the wall, while it is slowly going up. It actually is a simple system that goes fast, once you get the hang of it.

We have laid them horizontally and also vertically on jobs.
I would suggest you lay them horizontally with a long lift if you can. This is MUCH easier - obviously.

Also: You should not have to double the studs at the butts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.