Nail Pop - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Nail Pop

Old 02-13-2005, 05:29 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

Nail Pop

I have several rooms where the top row of nails in the top plate have poped. The spot is about a inch in dia. and is along the top plate. Under further investigation the (nail) is under the tape and fairly deep 3/16" under tape. I was able to pry the nail out with a small electronic size screwdriver. First of all what caused this? And how should I go about repairs. I have my own opinions but thought I would see if others have experienced this.

Mark

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 06:18 PM  
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Nail Pop

Stresses in the house cause shifting which results in nail popping, try putting screws back in - really isn't anything you can do about it. It's one of many reasons why people have abondoned drywall for Blueboard and veneer plaster.
Veneer plaster has such amazing strength it can withstand many thousands of pounds of stresses caused by structural shifting - in essence it's like an interior eggshell that improves the strength of your home - and is so strong nails or screws rarely ever pop.

-PlainPainter

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 07:45 PM  
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

With repairs I just pound them back in with hammer leavings a dimple. Then mud over texture and paint.

If it is a real problem I would consider removing all nails that popped and screwing. If the house is shifting alot there could be a bigger problem with the ground structure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 PM  
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

Just remember if the tape is not stuck to the drywall you will have get mud under it or cut it out.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:31 PM  
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter
It's one of many reasons why people have abondoned drywall for Blueboard and veneer plaster.
-PlainPainter
How much of that do you see? I don't see it at all, the cost seems so expensive compared to tried and true drywalling.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 PM  
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Yeah - I can't say I've seen any blueboard either - ever. Well at least where it was a decision between blueboard and drywall and blueboard ended up being selected.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:05 PM  
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I believe that this may be a climate issue, I see it all of the time.
I detailed my current home prior to moving in 3 yrs. ago and happend to notice some just last night when ol'#2 moved a lamp.
Here we call them 'screw pops'.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 AM  
Pro

Up in the northeast where I am - Blueboard and veneer plaster is on the uprise. People hate drywall. And I love selling the product - because I can make tons of money doing it vs. having to compete with low-balling ethnic groups who do drywalling. And I hate sanding!

-PlainPainter
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 AM  
Pro

This must be a regional thing then. Out here in the west we are still using buffalo hides sometimes ya know.

I wonder if the popularity out east has something to do with the fact there are so many houses that are over 100 years old out there and so out of square and such that the ability to deal with all the baggage that comes with these homes using this method is part of the appeal and helps defray some of the cost?

I saw a couple of episodes on This Old House where they used it, looked quite cool how pros could put it up so quick and the finish looked great - of course everything looks good on TV.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 02-14-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:21 AM  
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter
It's one of many reasons why people have abondoned drywall for Blueboard and veneer plaster.
Whoa! People have abandoned drywall? I think you need to check with U.S. Gypsum - they may not have heard about that yet.
I found it interesting to read that "Veneer plaster application is typically a one-day operation; a typical drywall job usually takes three days". (http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrar...Blueboard.html ) That has some pretty significant cost implications. I would think it a very attractive product to sell given that a builder can probably charge considerably more for the "upgrade".
Old 02-14-2005, 12:09 PM  
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent

Put rain water in a coffee can with a pound of sinkers. Leave for three weeks, then add carbonated water.

SHIZAM! you now have the exciting new soft drink "Nail Pop"

Bob
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM  
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

LOL Bob, it's a good thing your relatives left, one of you is enough. :Thumbs:
Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 PM  
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life

I guess all those old plasters that said that sheet rock is a fad were right. To bad their all retired.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM  

Rewards Points: 25

Hi Boys, Whenever i came across popped drywall screws i would always reveal them, screw them back in then patch....But someone told me the other day to unscrew them right out then fill in the holes that way they won't pop again! Is this true? Or is he bsing me? Never know anymore, one person tells ya one way then someone has to throw a monkey wrench into it..BTW there is alot and i dont think taking them right out is the right answer but im sure someone on this board knows..
Old 02-14-2005, 06:59 PM  
Pro

Screws don't pop, techincally speaking the drywall does. The drywall might not have been flush with the studs where it was screwed so the drywall was setting off the studs held by screws not driven all the way into the wood. Once somebody pushed the drywall onto the studs, days, weeks or years later you got a screw pop. So you don't need to take out a screw that is driven into wood but not all the way, you need to push the drywall flat and drive the screw all the way in to where it was supposed to be.

Now screws that missed the stud are another story, if you can turn them freely, take them out and just fill the hole.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM  

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks Mike...That makes ALOT of sense ...common sense really! I really shoulda known all this..thanks...
Sherry
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 AM  

These are nails not screws. My guess was that they were driven in-between the top plate and the plate under. Therefore not gripping very good. I will replace with screws and patch.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:34 AM  

I would agreee with your assessment 1grnlwn. Pull and screw the sheet back down, tape and mud.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:21 AM  

When I moved into my present house about 15 years ago, I swear every nail was popped. It had been left vacant for a year or so. I think being cold in the winter and closed up (hot in the summer) caused enough movement. I've been told the wood studs dry and shrink, releasing the nails. You could push on the dw and see it move. Come to think of it I did notice a pattern an inch or so below the ceiling so many could have been driven between the stud and plate. I drove a screw an inch or two away, banged in the nail and patched. I've had very few since then and they're probably different ones.

Dave

Advertisement

Last edited by Woodpecker; 02-26-2005 at 12:24 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: