Loose Drywall Tape - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Loose Drywall Tape

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Loose Drywall Tape

Hi All,

Looked at a repair job today where the drywall tape was actually coming loose from the drywall. Not just in a small area but in a few areas that were 4 - 5 feet long. Other areas were fine. I got hold of a piece and the entire length of tape came off easily. Just the tape....no drywall paper, no paint or anything beyond the tape. All was left was a channel where the tape was previously. Customer said it's been like this for 15 years.

I've never seen this before and wonder if others have and can give some ideas as to why this happened. I'm guessing not enough mud below the tape but if finished with 2 additional coats of compound over the paper (not sure if this was done), would the paper still come away from the drywall and break through any top coats, paint, etc. on its own (as was the case before i pulled if off)?

Thanks for any feedback
Dennis

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

Re: Loose Drywall Tape

most likely not enough mud behind tape. The top coats will hold it for awhile but eventually it will loosen up. the moisture from the paint soaks into the top coats of mud and it lets loose.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

.. Or they used the wrong material for bedding in the first place. Some materials have very little if any adhesive and are not made for setting tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
most likely not enough mud behind tape. The top coats will hold it for awhile but eventually it will loosen up. the moisture from the paint soaks into the top coats of mud and it lets loose.

Oldrivers knows.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Dennis
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemike View Post
.. Or they used the wrong material for bedding in the first place. Some materials have very little if any adhesive and are not made for setting tape.

but then the problem would be all over the whole house and not just in a few areas. another cause could be the house got taped in the winter and the heat wasnt good enough .
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #7

Trade: Drywall/Texture
Rewards Points: 25

I'll agree with the ideas of freezing before it dried, or wrong kind of mud. The most common reason is water damage. But you normally would see some stains associated with that.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #8

Trade: Honolulu, Hi Handyman Remodeler 510-868-8807
Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover View Post
Hi All,

Looked at a repair job today where the drywall tape was actually coming loose from the drywall. Not just in a small area but in a few areas that were 4 - 5 feet long. Other areas were fine. I got hold of a piece and the entire length of tape came off easily. Just the tape....no drywall paper, no paint or anything beyond the tape. All was left was a channel where the tape was previously. Customer said it's been like this for 15 years.

I've never seen this before and wonder if others have and can give some ideas as to why this happened. I'm guessing not enough mud below the tape but if finished with 2 additional coats of compound over the paper (not sure if this was done), would the paper still come away from the drywall and break through any top coats, paint, etc. on its own (as was the case before i pulled if off)?

Thanks for any feedback
Dennis
hopefully you never did that job," im kidding... back in the days most drywallers used topping to tape off everything,"" when you re due this job use AP or all purpose mud ... not topping

Advertisement