Looking For Work In Arizona - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Looking For Work In Arizona

Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking For Work In Arizona

I live in Minnesota. Looking to move to Maricopa, AZ (south of Phoenix). I am a Brit who learned traditional plastering. Moving to the states I do drywall, stucco, venetian plastering and EIFS. Anyone know the chances of getting work in Phoenix??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Looking For Work In Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrick View Post
I live in Minnesota. Looking to move to Maricopa, AZ (south of Phoenix). I am a Brit who learned traditional plastering. Moving to the states I do drywall, stucco, venetian plastering and EIFS. Anyone know the chances of getting work in Phoenix??
Extremely slow for everyone down here, and I know a few drywall hangers who have been camped out on the couch for the better part of this year.

Phoenix was WAY overbuilt, so very little new construction as the foreclosures still keep coming. The drywall and stucco/insulation is going to be hard to find work doing unless you can find a restoration company that's swamped with foreclosures.

Here, only five pages of restoration companies:
http://www.dexknows.com/local/constr...ehabilitation/

Also, check the websites for TW Lewis and Pulte and see if they have any jobs posted or call their HR depts. They may still have projects going in Maricopa, though I believe most are on hold.

If you're up for going into biz for yourself, you might find some interest for the plastering, particularly for some of the higher-end homes in Scottsdale, and Cave Creek - but that's the exact opposite end of the world from Maricopa. You'll want to kill yourself after making that trek a few times in rush hour.

Advertisement

Last edited by Duck042; 12-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
New In Biz-Needin' Advice

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

moved here 6 months ago, was a self employed gc in oregon making 100k plus a year. it is ridiculous here be careful and dont make the mistake i made. other than that its nice here lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
vandy

Trade: painting, decorating, wallcovering
Rewards Points: 250

Markets are bad everywhere, AZ included.

But you do have a unique skill set being a true plaster man.

You may try calling on high end custom home builders. True plastering (as opposed to drywall finishing) is a dying trade here in the USA. Plaster in homes comes at a premium now.

Call on high end custom home builders and architects.