Lightweight Board - Page 3 - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Lightweight Board

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #41
Member
 
OMB's Avatar
 
Trade: Building, Excavating
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southeastern NH
Posts: 53
Rewards Points: 142

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
I don't ! I make do tho!


Since 07 Every product I use has gone down hill. The wallboard ,The mud formulas , The wallboard glues ...Everything has gone to chit. Thanks to the tree huggers and the greedy manufactures .

Before 2007 ..I never had a problem with the sheetrock . Then comes along Certainteed ! JUNK! Then the lightwieght ! JUNK!

In 2011 they changed the formula in my Black top . For the worse .It ain't the same !

The wallboard glue will wash off your hands now with soapy water . That's not glue!!!!


I keep thinking these aholes will start caring about the trades that use their products . But I don't see that happening any time soon .
I think this is referred to as "progress".

I read a paper by USG (I think) about the water based glue (read no VOCs) shrinking back and causing mushrooms over screws, fix one problem (the treehuggers) and create another.

If one manufacturer still made good board you would think the others would lose enough market share to make some of the others bring back quality products, why don't you guys that are big buyers have a chat with the factory reps? I get it- you will always have some crap material showing up at Lowe's but come on, why can't pros still get real board?
OMB is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #42
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
I think this is referred to as "progress".

I read a paper by USG (I think) about the water based glue (read no VOCs) shrinking back and causing mushrooms over screws, fix one problem (the treehuggers) and create another.

If one manufacturer still made good board you would think the others would lose enough market share to make some of the others bring back quality products, why don't you guys that are big buyers have a chat with the factory reps? I get it- you will always have some crap material showing up at Lowe's but come on, why can't pros still get real board?
Well first of all ! Factory reps are Idiots! Trust me ! I've met enough of these ties to know . They only care about looking after themselves !
I gave up on the reps in 2010. They still call me from time to time and I always tell them the same ... I'm Still fixing your chit!

USG Regular board is the best of the worst IMO. But.. The drywall suppliers and building suppliers here wont carry It. Cost too much!
I haven't seen a piece of USG Regular board in 6 years. The only way I can get It Is to open my own supply house ! And that ain't happening no time soon !!
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .

Last edited by blacktop; 03-27-2015 at 09:47 PM.
blacktop is offline  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #43
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,607
Rewards Points: 1,556

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
I haven't seen a piece of USG Regular board in 6 years.
I can get that any where around here, even HD.
hdavis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #44
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I can get that any where around here, even HD.
Certainteed took hold here . I have to beg for National gyp !!!
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .
blacktop is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #45
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,607
Rewards Points: 1,556

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
Certainteed took hold here . I have to beg for National gyp !!!
I'd be begging for them to take the NG back
hdavis is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #46
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I'd be begging for them to take the NG back
Let me send you a few hundred boards of Certainteed to finish out !! I'll bet you'll change your tune then!


Let's see........I think I'll send It to ya from the West Virginia plant !!
The reps name is Jerry. I have his number. You'll need it when you start the block coat!
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .
blacktop is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #47
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,607
Rewards Points: 1,556

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
Let me send you a few hundred boards of Certainteed to finish out !! I'll bet you'll change your tune then!


Let's see........I think I'll send It to ya from the West Virginia plant !!
The reps name is Jerry. I have his number. You'll need it when you start the block coat!
Free drywall? Heck, yeah!
hdavis is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #48
Ancient Rocker
 
Ancient Rocker's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall hanger
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aurora Illinois 60506
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 97

Re: Lightweight Board


I have hung enough CertainTeed drywall to know even if it is free, you are losing money.
__________________
If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see what an amateur costs.
Ancient Rocker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ancient Rocker For This Useful Post:
blacktop (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #49
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,607
Rewards Points: 1,556

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Rocker View Post
I have hung enough CertainTeed drywall to know even if it is free, you are losing money.
Not if I sell it on CL - somebody would buy.
hdavis is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #50
Pro
 
MarcoPollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 120
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Lightweight Board


Quick question for the full timers. Can someone give me a link to wallboard adhesive?

I've never seen or used it by anyone and am intrigued?

I always just double screw all my joints and when doing a full gut run strapping on 12" centres.

All thanks in advance.
MarcoPollo is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #51
Pro
 
mako1's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,517
Rewards Points: 1,094

Re: Lightweight Board


When we screw and glue we use PL400
mako1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #52
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
When we screw and glue we use PL400
Is that sub-floor glue?
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .
blacktop is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #53
Pro
 
MarcoPollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 120
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Lightweight Board


It is but lower grade. It's panelling grade glue I believe is what's marked on the tube.

What do you use for adhesive blacktop?
MarcoPollo is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #54
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPollo View Post
Quick question for the full timers. Can someone give me a link to wallboard adhesive?

I've never seen or used it by anyone and am intrigued?

I always just double screw all my joints and when doing a full gut run strapping on 12" centres.

All thanks in advance.
Since everything has gone green..Ones as good as the other !
Attached Thumbnails
Lightweight Board-img_0069.jpg  
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .
blacktop is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #55
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPollo View Post
It is but lower grade. It's panelling grade glue I believe is what's marked on the tube.

What do you use for adhesive blacktop?
The tight bond is great to work with Not a tight bond tho.. It's weak.

The OSI has two types . OSI Wallboard /panel glue is the one that's like a tube of water ! The OSI Standard wallboard glue is a good glue with a good bond . But they both can haze over very quickly ..So the fields need to be screwed off asap. The liquid nails is similar to tight bond..Nice to work with but If ya get it on your hands You can wash it off with soapy water! That's not a tight bond !

I can remember when getting a glob of wallboard glue on my arm was an emergency ....Cause It would start to burn !!! And if not removed soon It would leave a mark.. Wallboard glues aren't like that anymore..
__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .

Last edited by blacktop; 03-30-2015 at 04:46 PM.
blacktop is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #56
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,607
Rewards Points: 1,556

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
The tight bond is great to work with Not a tight bond tho.. It's weak.

The OSI has two types . OSI Wallboard /panel glue is the one that's like a tube of water ! The OSI Standard wallboard glue is a good glue with a good bond . But they both can haze over very quickly ..So the fields need to be screwed off asap. The liquid nails is similar to tight bond..Nice to work with but If ya get it on your hands You can wash it off with soapy water! That's not a tight bond !

I can remember when getting a glob of wallboard glue on my arm was an emergency ....Cause It would start to burn !!! And if not removed soon It would leave a mark.. Wallboard glues aren't like that anymore..
There are still some solvent based glues, which usually don't shrink as much when they dry as the water based. If I need time for hanging, I'll sometimes use Gripper (it's general purpose water based) - it doesn't haze over as fast as most of the others.
hdavis is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
blacktop (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #57
Champion Thread Derailer
 
Jeff G's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Renovations
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Siler City, NC
Posts: 1,228
Rewards Points: 380

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
I don't ! I make do tho!


Since 07 Every product I use has gone down hill. The wallboard ,The mud formulas , The wallboard glues ...Everything has gone to chit. Thanks to the tree huggers and the greedy manufactures .

Before 2007 ..I never had a problem with the sheetrock . Then comes along Certainteed ! JUNK! Then the lightwieght ! JUNK!

In 2011 they changed the formula in my Black top . For the worse .It ain't the same !

The wallboard glue will wash off your hands now with soapy water . That's not glue!!!!


I keep thinking these aholes will start caring about the trades that use their products . But I don't see that happening any time soon .
Learning a lot from reading what you guys are sharing here, so thanks for that!

Apparently, I am pretty ignant about drywall, and all things related, so I wanted to ask you a question: What is "black top"?
Jeff G is offline  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #58
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,392
Rewards Points: 276

Re: Lightweight Board


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
What is "black top"?


Attached Thumbnails
Lightweight Board-img_0070.jpg  

Advertisement

__________________
"Always listen to your heart . Always listen to your dog ." Quote. Gauge key .
blacktop is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-31-2015), Jeff G (03-31-2015)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerdi Board to Drywall Stunt Carpenter Kitchens & Baths 5 06-18-2013 12:11 AM
Board form concrete wall water stains DerekRC Concrete & Paving 0 12-06-2011 01:44 PM
determining skirt board height romoranger Finish Carpentry 2 07-07-2009 01:46 PM
Plywood over particle board PA woodbutcher Flooring 5 03-11-2009 06:09 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?