Knockdown Need Help From A Seasoned Pro! - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Knockdown Need Help From A Seasoned Pro!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2

Knockdown Need Help From A Seasoned Pro!

What's up guys, I'm a self employed remodeler in central Fl. Recently did 120 boards of rock with a knockdown texture, I'm well rounded in the "hang and finish" but not quite as seasoned at the texturing (atleast knockdown I've sprayed many investment properties with orange peel) so.... anywho long story short job is finished and turned out just fine..... but one problem. I got the consistency dialed in and ran a nice healthy looking knockdown at around 30-35psi and if I had to guess probably covered approx 800-1000 sq ft before stopping to knock it down. I knocked it down with an 18" squeegee trowel and all was going absolutely perfect except for where the joints in the rock were seemed to dry out the texture too fast to be knocked down. Thus I had to literally go back through and sand all the seams down and spray them and knock back down like almost immediately after spraying maybe 3-4 minute of flash time per each section. Theres got to be a better way!!? And that's why I'm here, don't want that to happen again, I used USG non aggregated powder mix for the texture. Are the pros priming the seams before spraying or what?? What a hard lesson learned! Would appreciate a seasoned pro setting me straight on how to go about tackling this for next time. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BalkcomsHomeSvc For This Useful Post:
sparehair (10-21-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,242

Re: Knockdown Need Help From A Seasoned Pro!

Prime the whole thing first. The joint compound is sucking the moisture out of the texture. If you just prime the seams, you might have the opposite problem - they'll dry slower than the paper.

Advertisement

avenge (10-18-2018), BalkcomsHomeSvc (10-18-2018), Sir Mixalot (10-18-2018), sparehair (10-21-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #3

Trade: Drywall contractor

Re: Knockdown Need Help From A Seasoned Pro!

Priming all walls and ceilings will eliminate your texture from setting up uneven. You can also mop he burned paper on edges of seams butts and angles and then spray a heavier texture and knockdown sooner. Priming is best.