Joint Cracked Twice In A Week - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Joint Cracked Twice In A Week

Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Joint Cracked Twice In A Week

Doing a water resto and have one joint about 4" in, above an interior walk through, no door just opening, that has cracked out twice in the last week. I am shooting texture today and there was no crack this morning and just as I'm about to shoot that wall I notice a crack.
I used MM to clean out tape and beveled joint when I found it cracked the first time. Used paper tape and all purpose on whole job (about 1200 brd ft) and this and one other spot are the only places giving me trouble. The other is over where a door was that I took out and framed in on an exterior wall.
Not sure what to do. Both areas were paneled before so movement wouldn't have been noticed. It is just a hairline crack for both. Just tell the customer they are screwed it's movement and I can do nothing about it?

Last edited by r4r&r; 06-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,308

Re: Joint Cracked Twice In A Week

Either shrinking and swelling in the framing, Or a load problem with the framing Would be my guess

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
Either shrinking and swelling in the framing, Or a load problem with the framing Would be my guess
Exactly what I'm thinking which, to me, means I ain't fixin this with some tape and mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4r&r View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking which, to me, means I ain't fixin this with some tape and mud.
Cut the sheet rock out going two feet past the crack on every side, further if feasible. Use Durabond for the mud, and don't use mesh tape. This will not fix whatevers causing the problem , but it may not crack again. This is assuming the crack was on a joint.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Go up in the attic and see if the roof is cut in, and if its braced to that point. Lot of "framers " will brace to anything, and create an improper point load. My guess is still be shrinking and swelling.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Pro

Don't have to check, already been up there insulating skylight, there is all kinds of crap going on within 5 feet of the area. Vaulted,recessed (not sure what to call it is one complex ceiling with each side slopping up about 3 feet to a flat ceiling with a recess in the flat part and a ledge for lighting then a skylight in the center) ceiling lands on this wall, attic access about 2 feet away, HAVC air handler in attic about 4 feet away. Hell almost feel through grabbed a brace and the bottom wasn't even nailed off just hanging there.
The Following User Says Thank You to r4r&r For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Pro

Talked to customer before any replies and told him that based on how the crack has behaved both times there is something moving in the wall and to properly attempt to remedy would add a couple more days to end date and he's ok with letting it stay as is and see where it goes from here.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,724

Depending on when it was built, a lot of houses I've seen in Richardson had the ceiling joists supported by interior walls. On the other hand, there could be termites or cracked slab moving, or...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis
Depending on when it was built, a lot of houses I've seen in Richardson had the ceiling joists supported by interior walls. On the other hand, there could be termites or cracked slab moving, or...
It's a custom in Plano built in 80, wahoo no RRP, and it's definitely load bearing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r4r&r For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-29-2012), Jaws (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
The Sheriff

Air handlers will cause issues if the platform is not properly built. Take a picture of the area in the attic where the crack is being caused.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jaws; 06-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.