Identifying Plaster Walls - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Identifying Plaster Walls

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 5,038

Identifying Plaster Walls

Visited a site that appears to have plaster walls, though I don't know if it is of the key/lath type. There are holes to be patched, and these are mostly nail/screw holes that went all the way through the wall. Am basically wondering what to use on all areas.

There is however one approx 2'x3' ceiling section that must be cut out and patched. And I know what a pain it can be to patch if it is lath. Someone has cut out a couple wall sections and replaced with drywall, although was left unfinished (no tape or multipurpose). Should alkaline resistant (grey?) tape be used on those areas?

This could well be cementitous board, don't have access to the inner wall. The house is at least thirty-fourty years old. But I guess I could go in the attic. What I do know is that sometimes using standard multipurpose can crack out quick around the edges on some plaster surfaces, and is very revealing to the eye if applied atop sheer smooth plaster.

Ideas? If I pull an outlet coverplate it might just reveal an electrical box.

Last edited by artinall; 01-25-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: omission

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,034

Re: Identifying Plaster Walls

Drywall,mesh tape,quikset first coat and following coats with ready mix.

Advertisement

Sir Mixalot (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 5,038

Re: Identifying Plaster Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Drywall,mesh tape,quikset first coat and following coats with ready mix.
Thanks much for the reply, Big Shoe. Have found the walls & ceilings to be a grey cemetitious type board with paper backing on it (not lath) with a whitish layer of textured plaster.

- For small holes (nail/screw holes): would you also use Durabond without mesh? For holes that pass clear though, like larger nail holes -- would you first back the opening with something like Durabond to prevent cracking? Is it okay to use patching plaster over Durabond/setting type?

- Anyone have experience with 'Dap Paster of Paris'? Is this suitable for small holes only or larger patches as well or more for hobby use? Is 'Dap Plaster Wall Patch' better?

- Have used Strucktolyte in the past, but found myself applying it over an alkline resistant mesh sheet and it has a thin build from what I remember.

Does it matter whether the material overtop of the sheetrock is: Durabond [tan bags] or 20 minute [lightweight, "easy sand" quickset patch in the white bag]?

- Also, should the sheetrock be primed so the Durabond/Quickset can adhere?

Last edited by artinall; 01-26-2013 at 10:34 PM.