The Hundred Billion Taping Knives - Drywall - Contractor Talk

The Hundred Billion Taping Knives

Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Master of Rocket Science

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 123

The Hundred Billion Taping Knives

Okay, stupid dumb retarded question but its going to keep me up eating away at me all night

What are all the different kinds of taping knives for? Obviously I know what the different lengths are for but what's the purpose of the heavy wooden handle ones with the double plate metal on them? Howcome its seemingly impossible to find a six inch stainless knife?

What is the purpose of all these carbon and blue steel blades? If they rust immediately what's the point of even making them to sell for one or two dollars cheaper? I use wallboard all stainless steel knives with the hard rubber grip handle

What's the deal with the knives that have the wooden ledge on the bottom where it meets the handle?? Okay okay I think I've had too many accelerants today but still lol..

Once again I know what the difference in the width is for im not a homeowner...hopefully some crazy oldschool taper who collects knives for fun will write a good response to this

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Re: The Hundred Billion Taping Knives

Blue steel is all I use. They flex better for feathering than the stainless steel. After I am done with them for the day I spray a little WD-40 on them so they won't rust.

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I have never noticed a difference in the quality of finish a blue steel blade gives over a stainless as I'm no pro drywaller but I do know Marshall town make a 6" stainless in their premier line.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,110

I prefer the wallboard blue steel yellow handle for 8,10,and 12 inch. For 6 inch I'm addicted to Purdy. Never got the hang of stainless. Didn't like the ''feel''.

It's pretty much a learning curve on what you end up using. Like the Ford,Chevy or Dodge thing.

As far as rust goes, wipe off water(pantleg)and let them dry before you put them away. Every so often they rust, no big deal. Just sand them and rinse and away you go.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I like to leave my new ones outside for a couple weeks. They get nice and rusty. Then I palm sand them smooth. It seems to thin them just right. Works for me.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Well let's see I have blue steel with wood handles and plastic handles, I like Hyde 6" stainless for tapeing I use 2", 4", 5", hyde kniefs for shaving down walls and ceilings, they are also used for spackle. I use 10", 14" for my second coat and skim coating, If I have a ceiling to float out I will use my 24" and it has a 18" wood handle, Then I have my trowels I use for plastering
and they are blue steel, stainless and wood
Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Glad you posted the question.

Im a general remodeller kind of guy and often find myself doing small drywall jobs that are a part of the bigger job.

I have been accumulating mostly marshalltown durasoft stainless knives/trowels and was thinking of ordering a couple more, just to have a complete collection.

Is blue steel worth it? I have a few off brand knives but always hated pulling them out and having them be super rusty, especially since I dont use them often.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 490

Good post, always like to see what everyone's using.

Just thought I'd chime in on the stainless steel knives..sheetrock makes them...yeah, like the brand..

http://www.sheetrocktools.com/products/?prod=1

I picked up the 6" from my local Kamco, I love it so far, and no rust or WD 40 or anything to worry about It's just getting broken in though, it doesn't come out too often
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
master hacker of wood

Trade: restoration carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,730

i use both, sand them clean and commence the muddin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRAME2FINISH For This Useful Post:
tyler.karman (01-28-2018), woodworkbykirk (11-15-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #10

Trade: general carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

I like to use stainless for Plus 3 applications. I use blue steel when working with durabond. For some reason it feels right that way. When I clean my mud tools I use a scotchbrite green scrubby. I've seen guys use brushes to clean but always looked inefficient. The green scrubby enables you to not have to sand the blue steel when you use it next. Keeping them dry after cleaning is a biggy.

Advertisement