How Can You Compete With This - Drywall - Contractor Talk

How Can You Compete With This

Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How Can You Compete With This

*SUPER*$500$ SPECIAL *DRYWALL

$500.00 room special-------> Old walls torn out , studs prepaired for new drywall, new drywall hung, and finished. Ready for paint. This Super low price includes , materials, labor, and clean up. Enjoy you newly remodeled room for less than ever. This low price is due to decline in local ecconomy. Take advantage of this offer while it lasts. Pay in cash and get insulation installed for free. Call us at 330.883.0898 8am - 8pm mon - sun disclosure-this special is bassed on the average household room size 20x20 or less Thank you Drywall Masters inc.

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/sks/1441228827.html

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Rewards Points: 500

Re: How Can You Compete With This

I wonder If he has any limitations on room size. I have an attic that could use conversion. 1368 sq ft of drywall required, for $500 thats not bad.

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker

Wiz: look up LOL room is 20 x 20 or smaller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Starving Tile Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Wiz: look up LOL room is 20 x 20 or smaller
Oops I missed that, thanks. Guess i'll have to do it myself. Properly!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker

I have put the motion to allow this miss speak before Da Familia Counsulari.
Guido will be in contact to deliver our answer.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. then sheetrock is $6.97 for 5/8 4'x 8' and 1/2 4'x8' is $5.98
So let's do the math, I came up with $240.72 for materials with no primer, screws, corner bead, then add in gas say three days $30.00 at $2.65 a gallon and hope the job is close to his house. That leaves him $227.28 for labor, overhead and profit say it takes 4 guys 10 hours that would give them around $5.50 an hour I love these guys, I wonder were they would cut corners at. Then he didn't say anything about how many corners he would do, hope theres no windows and doors in these rooms
MORONS
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Fire Suppression Equipment Sales & Service
Rewards Points: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
MORONS
MORONS

No the Morons are those who hire these hacks and then wonder why the job is takeing so long, the work is crap, the "contractor" asks for more money and the job is not finished.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Starving Tile Artist

Quote:
This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. then sheetrock is $6.97 for 5/8 4'x 8' and 1/2 4'x8' is $5.98
So let's do the math, I came up with $240.72 for materials with no primer, screws, corner bead, then add in gas say three days $30.00 at $2.65 a gallon and hope the job is close to his house. That leaves him $227.28 for labor, overhead and profit say it takes 4 guys 10 hours that would give them around $5.50 an hour I love these guys, I wonder were they would cut corners at. Then he didn't say anything about how many corners he would do, hope theres no windows and doors in these rooms
MORONS
I hear you can get Chineese drywall...cheap!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Why worry about competing with guys like that? He is obviously not in the same market. He's actually doing us a favor by dragging the bottom and sucking up some of the price shoppers so we don't have to deal with them.

You can buy a 12" Remington or get yourself an 18" Stihl. There are not the same but are both called chainsaws and the differences are obvious. Serving different markets is all.

Good Luck
Dave
nEighter (11-14-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

This is what i see. On the redo of a 20X20 room. For the new baby on the way. (Conversion between HO (home owner) and Company rep). After he's done looking at it for 3 min.

Him: Yes sir, We can do this room as advertised on craigslist for $500. Will you be paying cash.

HO: Yes I will.

Him: Thats great, we are installing insulation for free if you pay with cash.

HO: Great, I have enuf inso. left over from when i redid my basement. So you"ll install it.

Him: No. We only install the best inso. avail. from our vendors. It's for the warranty. (He charges HO 2X the amount that he can pick it up for at the Big Orange Box.

HO: OK. Now what about the ceiling. That's included also, right ?

Him: No sir it's not. As it's not stated in the ad. (That will be an additional charge for labor and material. $$$)

HO: mmm I see. Now what about the existing trim and baseboard ?

Him. Sir you may remove it yourself or, we can remove it for you. We will not reinstall it. We are a drywall Co. (extra $$ and no guaranty i will be able to reuse it.)

HO: I'm concerned about the recently new rug in the room.

Him: We will gladly ensure your rug is covered. (extra cost $$)

HO: You will also make sure clean up is done properly.

Him: Yes sir. As long as you provide a place for the debris. If you need, we can provide a dumpster for you. ( I'm sure he can. $$$)

HO: Great. So when can you start ? (today is friday)

Him: Once you sign here and pay the amount in full. We will start Monday morn.

Senerio !!!
Being a home owner that knows nothing about construction.He signs and pays him. They smile and shake hands. He says I'll see you Monday. He doesn't come back for 45 days. The whole time waiting the home owner is going bald, losing weight, and now drinks to much. Divorce is sure to follow. Because in the beginning he told his wife, Don't worry honey I'll take care of everything. I know what I'm doing !
Maybe it's me, But I see this guy Praying on people that NEED to have work done in their homes.
2 laborers to do demo, inso. & cleanup, and load mat. 5hrs. each @ 8.00 cash = $80
Material - Left over or stolen from another job = $0.00
2 hangers who also finish. 10 hrs each @ 15.00 cash = $300
1 laborer for final cleanup. 2 hrs. @ $8.00 cash = $16.00
To throw the debris out the window onto your lawn, because you couldn't afford a dumpster.
Drywall contract was for $1200.00
New trim, base and paint. (done by pros.)
The job came out looking really good. The home owner and his wife are happy that its all done.
Good thing he took care of it all, and knew what what he was doing.
It only cost him $1500.00
Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor

Craigs List is not a good method of obtaining new business. You are competing with every a** hole who thinks he is a contractor just because he can't hold a steady job. I think most people know better than to turn to Craigs List, to find a professional to work on their most valuable asset.

Kansas City Remodeling

www.kcremodeling.com
www.kcbasementfinishing.com
www.kcdeckandpatio.com
www.kcbathremodel.com
Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Craigslist should be dealt with like this, In Michigan there are New Laws that came into play last June 1st 2008, In this State ALL Contractors have to have a Builders License or a M&A Contractors License if they don't they can be fined $2,500.00 to $75,000 and if they get caught 2 times working without a License they can face 2 to 5 years in Prison, So I post on craigslist stating that If the Public knows and they still hire these azzholes well then they get what they deserve
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Craigslist should be dealt with like this, In Michigan there are New Laws that came into play last June 1st 2008, In this State ALL Contractors have to have a Builders License or a M&A Contractors License if they don't they can be fined $2,500.00 to $75,000 and if they get caught 2 times working without a License they can face 2 to 5 years in Prison, So I post on craigslist stating that If the Public knows and they still hire these azzholes well then they get what they deserve

The new laws in Michigan are Anti-Free Market. They are used to keep legit businesses from neighboring border states from coming in and doing business in Michigan.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #14

You cannot compete , it's a bull$t add. He would be paying you after the material alone . It's a no brainer dude
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor

I think all states should adopt this policy.

CT Construction
www.ctconstruct.com
Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

Quote:
MORONS
Time wise i did our new weight room 15x17x7 in one day...that was hanging, tape/mud/texture and primed....granted it took me 12hrs to do it alone, and i use nothing but hot mud...i'm not into multiple trips to get a job done on small stuff like 1 room, and tiz why i dont call in drywall subs unless we have multiple rooms to deal with, ya'll just drag things out too long LOL!! I've used 3 different subs and the bathrooms i've had them do, take just like you said..3 days. In one day we are primed and ready for paint or installing cabs/fixtures if HO is going to paint it themselves later. We LOVE 5 and 20 minute mud!!! just gotta be on your toes, but since time is money, why take 3 days to do what should be a 1 day deal and move onto the next one vs logging 10000 miles hopping all over town doing tiny aspects of each job all over?? On whole houses i get it and there's no other way to do it, but remodeling A room is a completely different animal, but all the subs i see get into a mind set and that's all they know how to do...

Last edited by IHI; 11-14-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Making Everyone Happy
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizendwizard View Post
I hear you can get Chineese drywall...cheap!

Hahahahaha
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. :
Glad you're not my drywall sub. Their $500 price is as bad as your room area calculations. You calculated the volume of the room not the area of the walls and ceiling Do you ever find yourself wondering why you only used a third of the drywall you ordered for a job? (BTW its 1040 sq ft for a 20x20x8' room and ceiling not 3200)

Just razzing you Frankawitz. Have a good Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
David

Trade: Remodeling/Repairs,Renovation
Rewards Points: 25

[quote=gregj;815595]Glad you're not my drywall sub. Their $500 price is as bad as your room area calculations. You calculated the volume of the room not the area of the walls and ceiling Do you ever find yourself wondering why you only used a third of the drywall you ordered for a job? (BTW its 1040 sq ft for a 20x20x8' room and ceiling not 3200)

Maybe my math is off, but isn't that 20'x8' x 4 walls, which = 640 sf?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: heavy construction
Rewards Points: 150

1040 sq ft was including the ceiling.

Advertisement