Hot Mud - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Hot Mud

Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

Hot Mud

I searched for Hot Mud in here, I though we discussed it before, but can't find it. So I'll bring it up again.

I do a lot of patch work/repairs. I need to figure out how to make Hot Mud so I don;t have to make so many trips back for a small job.

Is there a way to make this using either the Blue or Green Lid mud? ie: Can I add plaster to the mix and if so how much do I add.

Or do I have to mix it from scratch?

Whats the dry times I can expect from doing this?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Hot Mud

I use sheetrock brand lightweight setting type joint compound in 5 min set 20 min set 45 min set and 90 min set.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-sheetr...i-1378703.html

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

DuraBond45 Or 90 if you're not so gutsy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling

In my parts, it is sold in powder form in bags labeled for different working times...5 minute, 20 minute, 40 minute, and 90 minute. Just mix with water in amount you can use in that working time and go. I have a drywall sub that does an entire bathroom with 5 minute. I can't even mix that stuff before it starts going off. I find 5 minute almost unuseable...lol
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
DuraBond45 Or 90 if you're not so gutsy.

I used to use durabond 15 years ago. cant sand it though. You still need a topping compound if you need to sand.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 250

Used 5 min today on two patches. Painted them just before leaving. Had other stuff to do in the house while waiting for it to dry.

Rich
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
In my parts, it is sold in powder form in bags labeled for different working times...5 minute, 20 minute, 40 minute, and 90 minute. Just mix with water in amount you can use in that working time and go. I have a drywall sub that does an entire bathroom with 5 minute. I can't even mix that stuff before it starts going off. I find 5 minute almost unuseable...lol
Not ALMOST, for me
Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
I used to use durabond 15 years ago. cant sand it though. You still need a topping compound if you need to sand.
True, but I aint all that impatient either. My finisher can leave the stuff so I don't need to sand, if he's in the mood.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

So it looks like I just need to can the can and start mixing my own stuff. I am pretty good with my knives and don't usually need to sand as much as feather out the edge for a seemless look. But I typically do three coats on the walls and 4 on the cealings. So if I could do 2 with the fast stuff and one when I leave, that would be ideal. Then O could come back the next day and finish it up.

Thanks for the explanations.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Al Smith

You can use 5 min if you only mix a mud pan at a time. perfect for kitchen remodels where outlets are moved and you need to hang cabinets or paint that day. You can speed the setting time of the slower set mixes two ways. use hot water. or use the dirty water you cleaned the setting compound off your mixing tools with. When i set up for a hot mix job I use three pails. One to mix the mud in. One filled with water to clean the mixing paddle in. and one to hold the clean water in to mix with the compound. For the very small batches use a large sponge to add water with. you will almost always get the proportion right. Oh I also clean the mixing pail after every batch.

Last edited by A W Smith; 10-24-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
turning houses into homes

Trade: Wallcovering Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1799 View Post

Is there a way to make this using either the Blue or Green Lid mud? ie: Can I add plaster to the mix and if so how much do I add.
Are you asking if you can mix ready-mix joint compound in with mixed Hot Mud (durabond) ???

If you are asking this, the answer is an emphatic NO. It throws the pH WAY off. Spikes it up around 12.

And do NOT mix slaked lime into hot mud either. BTDT, and it also spiked the pH so that even latex would not adhere well. I even tried Diamond Veneer in with Durabond and had poor adhesion of paint. (these were all tests in my own home, no harm no foul) [don't ask me why Durabond can not be mixed with Veneer plaster - they are both gypsum with some lime. Personally I think I did something else wrong, but I ain't gonna experiment on a job]

Get the 90 min hot mud and mix it sloppy and work fast. Keep the room cool (or at least the trough you mixed it in)
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
True, but I aint all that impatient either. My finisher can leave the stuff so I don't need to sand, if he's in the mood.
Durabond and mesh tape is great for repairing plaster cracks though because it is tough like automotive bondo. lightweight compound is too soft and fragile.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
MFWIC

Trade: house painter

I use Westpac Fast set 5 Lite, here in CA. I only buy 5min. 18lb bags 7 bucks.

Others use 20min... I don't like it.
45 or 90min??? never use them.

But I;m a t/u guy. Lots of repairs and patches.

I'll do a small room with fast set and mesh tape, but any more than that it's regular boxed mud and paper tape. Paper tape IS superior!

Anyone can learn to use fast set... I had to! There was no choice, to be competitive.
r
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
MFWIC

Trade: house painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
You can use 5 min if you only mix a mud pan at a time. perfect for kitchen remodels where outlets are moved and you need to hang cabinets or paint that day. You can speed the setting time of the slower set mixes two ways. use hot water. or use the dirty water you cleaned the setting compound off your mixing tools with. When i set up for a hot mix job I use three pails. One to mix the mud in. One filled with water to clean the mixing paddle in. and one to hold the clean water in to mix with the compound. For the very small batches use a large sponge to add water with. you will almost always get the proportion right. Oh I also clean the mixing pail after every batch.
A W Smith has been there!

I mix a box at a time, and use milk jugs for water supply.
And I DO clean out my mud box every time.

I apply mud sparingly. Easier to fill a valley than sand down a mountain.
I hate sanding and breathing the dust.
Fastset Lite does sand easily, but my goal is to maybe hit it with a sponge just a little, then a minimum of pole sanding to feather the edge.
5min has qualities the other fast setting mixes don't have...
And I fully agree with him on hot water, or dirty water!
r
Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #15
Pro

I have found that if I need to sand, I will spray the area with water and hit it with a sanding sponge then go over it again with my knife...no dust.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #16
turning houses into homes

Trade: Wallcovering Installation

Festool makes a great sandless sander.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Festool makes a great sandless sander.
I know you meant Dustless.
but that sounded funny
Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #18
Three Rivers Services LLC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

I can't believe no one mentioned......

When you mix fast set mud, only mix what you can apply. Or you'll spend more time cleaning the mud pan and waisting material then actually applying it on the walls.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWorkaHolic View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned......

When you mix fast set mud, only mix what you can apply. Or you'll spend more time cleaning the mud pan and waisting material then actually applying it on the walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
Someone did.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #20
Three Rivers Services LLC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

lol, all you said was you couldn't use it. Here's tip, use cold(Ice in the water bucket helps) water to retard the chemical reaction. It will buy you time to apply it.

Advertisement