Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish? - Page 3 - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #41
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 9,880
Rewards Points: 3,810

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


If everything the OP states about the seams is correct and the contract did not call for a skim/L5 finish this is no longer his problem.

The painter knew or should have known what the top coat would be. It was up to the painter to be certain that the top coat would be correct. A spray Coat of Tuff-Hide or Level coat would have solved the issues show. From the sound of things the painter did not get the patch work correct either. There is no reason a patch/repair should ever be visible once all the steps have been completed.

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 08-03-2017 at 07:24 PM.
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-03-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #42
Pro
 
Tom M's Avatar
 
Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 9,691
Rewards Points: 3,786

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


I feel like the purple XP boards have manufacturing defects with the factory tapers the tapers seem shallow and buldge before the flat.
Then your typical 10" finish coat feels fine but you feel like you have to sand the paper of the board to.lose the edge. Even then it still flashes.
That's my experience and you won't realize very often unless that light is shining on it from the side.
Tom M is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #43
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,059
Rewards Points: 4,630

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Mt first thought when I saw those seams was:

What happened? The painter used semigloss right over bare boards?
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #44
Pro
 
Big Shoe's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,417
Rewards Points: 1,916

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Looks like you piled to much mud on. You need to light up your walls when sanding. You would have seen that. Like Small Town said, float it out.

And, always ask what sheen the customer/contractor is going to use.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Expect the Unexpected
Big Shoe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shoe For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #45
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,055
Rewards Points: 654

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


I don't see bubbling, I see incorrect mudding and sanding follwed by incorrect primer.
avenge is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #46
New Guy
 
kodie's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I've never seen a seam flash light on the window side, and dark on the other side. Like I said before, if you hold a 12" knife perpendicular to the wall and you can see light under part of the blade, it isn't flat enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
yup. I ain't buying it either.
UPDATE: 2nd Visit - After this 2nd more thorough inspection, it is as you previously stated, most of the soundboard seams in the lrg conf rm, and some in the small conf rm, are not flush. The big halogen was throwing too much light so I used different lighting method plus blocked the windows, and the uneven-ness is perfectly clear. I retract my previous update where I stated the majority of the soundbrd seams seemed flush as clearly most are not. I apologize for not getting my info straight when posting earlier. (Lrg & Sm conf rm soundbrd wall pics attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0142594.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5796.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5793.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0182669.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0182678.jpg  

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5794.jpg  

Last edited by kodie; 08-04-2017 at 07:34 PM.
kodie is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodie For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-04-2017), MarkJames (08-05-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #47
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,208
Rewards Points: 1,449

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


No offense intended, but you list your trade as "drywall". Based upon what's come to light in this thread (so to speak), you are most certainly not a professional drywaller. A pro would have known immediately what the problem was.

Are you a beginner (no shame in that), or what?
Tinstaafl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #48
New Guy
 
kodie's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


On the reg. sheet rocked walls, there are some uneven areas as well but does not appear to be as extensive as the soundbrd walls.

For the record, we never claimed or implied we were L5 finishers ever, and it was never asked of us. We don't inflate our skills to get a job -- but it does seem we unintentionally got in over our heads. Seeing the results of our work after painting is embarrassing and certainly not to the standards I expect of myself to provide our clients. At this point, we can only chalk this one up as a learning experience. I'm just trying to figure out how expensive it's going to be.

Got a text from the head GC's sub we are a sub for --wants us 'busting out the seams' on those soundbrds asap. I'm totally with ya'll that we are not the crew to do it and I don't want to touch it in anyway/shape/form and he needs top notch L5 for those walls. The other random wall areas, although I wish they were cleaner, have not been raised as an issue yet.

Straight up, this job was 45 boards incl the 2 soundbrd walls. Hanging & finishing the 2 conf rm walls inside & out. They never indicated any level finishing. $2500. We've been paid.

Once again we are very appreciative of all the feedback we've received here, thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0272739.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0332757.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5845.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5837.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5867.jpg  

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0352761.jpg   Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-g0172647.jpg  
kodie is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodie For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (08-05-2017), hdavis (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #49
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,217
Rewards Points: 3,492

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
....
Straight up, this job was 45 boards incl the 2 soundbrd walls. Hanging & finishing the 2 conf rm walls inside & out. They never indicated any level finishing. $2500. We've been paid.
Oh, really? No spec on the finish?

I laugh and walk away with a "see ya around chump".

I got a standard spec for residential new builds. It reads "No visible flaw withing 6 feet of any finished surface under normal, interior lighting conditions."

That means no shiner lights, no early morning or late evening bounce lighting coming from outside.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #50
New Guy
 
kodie's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
No offense intended, but you list your trade as "drywall". Based upon what's come to light in this thread (so to speak), you are most certainly not a professional drywaller. A pro would have known immediately what the problem was.

Are you a beginner (no shame in that), or what?
I appreciate you calling that out. I apologize, it was not my intention to mislead, I rushed through the sign up with the drywall job on my mind -- I will adjust that asap. I am the rookie of my team. My personal exp. is in rehabbing residential investment properties since 2006. My partner is not a beg., tho there's been a gap betw his past commercial jobs and our recent work which has been residential. The other dudes are local contractors we regularly partner with. We're a small crew, small jobs with no aspirations to go bigger. We originally didn't think it would be much of a stretch to handle this, although the scope did creep - clearly we were wrong and we're just trying to figure it out now. We should have stuck with just the hanging and not finishing. FYI - We'll be sticking to our residential jobs from now on
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-condo_kitchen_before_after.png  

Last edited by kodie; 08-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.
kodie is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodie For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (08-07-2017), Tinstaafl (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #51
...
 
FrankSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
If everything the OP states about the seams is correct and the contract did not call for a skim/L5 finish this is no longer his problem.

The painter knew or should have known what the top coat would be. It was up to the painter to be certain that the top coat would be correct. A spray Coat of Tuff-Hide or Level coat would have solved the issues show. From the sound of things the painter did not get the patch work correct either. There is no reason a patch/repair should ever be visible once all the steps have been completed.

Tom
I don't really agree with that. There is a grey area of responsibility between the painter and drywall finisher. This is outside of that area. If the painter is expected to spot and repair this they might as well be getting paid to tape the job. The GC called them to paint not finish the drywall.
FrankSmith is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #52
Pro
 
Texas Wax's Avatar
 
Trade: Executor of special operations
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,892
Rewards Points: 1,728

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
But FYI - We'll be sticking to residential from now on
Great even more 'Quality' Drywallwers in residential. <Sarcasm Inteneded>

LOL, Many Commercial GC's I've worked for would have made you dance, with a dunce cap on, to get it right or Run you off.

A few of the PMs, get thier rocks off on making idiots look like the fools they really are. You'd likely be a pet project.

Good luck and you might wanna use the knife trick to check the joints all the time while taping and figure out how to do a better job.
__________________
...as the page loads, so go the days of our lives, at CT
Texas Wax is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (08-06-2017), kodie (08-04-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #53
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,217
Rewards Points: 3,492

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Yeah, looks like dick. But that same knife you used in the pic would also make short work of making the job look right with some all-purpose mud.

Pulled tight, stop the slopping around, and you could use a damp sponge to feather whats left with minimal sanding.

whatever...
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-cimg5837.jpg  
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
bigdaddyrooster (08-06-2017), kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #54
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,715
Rewards Points: 4,152

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
I appreciate you calling that out. I apologize, it was not my intention to mislead, I rushed through the sign up with the drywall job on my mind -- I will adjust that asap. I am the rookie of my team. My personal exp. is in rehabbing residential investment properties since 2006. My partner is not a beg., tho there's been a gap betw his past commercial jobs and our recent work which has been residential. The other dudes are local contractors we regularly partner with. We're a small crew, small jobs with no aspirations to go bigger. We originally didn't think it would be much of a stretch to handle this, although the scope did creep - clearly we were wrong and we're just trying to figure it out now. We should have stuck with just the hanging and not finishing. FYI - We'll be sticking to our residential jobs from now on
Get your ass back there and feather out that **** if you ever want more work from that GC in the future. Don't pass the buck and walk away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #55
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,721
Rewards Points: 3,906

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
We should have stuck with just the hanging and not finishing. FYI - We'll be sticking to our residential jobs from now on
You're going to have to learn this sometime, or pick up a really good finisher. I do a ton of this (class 5 or close to it) in residential. One way to get flat seams without the high skill level is make sure the tape in bedded down in well, then hump up over the seam with compound. Sand down with orbital sander, just don't mess up the paper on the board.

If the tapers are ridged, you have to go much wider to get a flatish seam, or you'll be sanding the paper off of the ridge.

Use your knife, now that you've learned how. Check the boards you get and see if the tapers are ridged. Check the taped seams on each coat as you go (or at least after the "final"), fixing things after paint is the worst time to be doing it.

No matter what you decide to do here, good luck!
hdavis is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #56
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,721
Rewards Points: 3,906

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yeah, looks like dick. But that same knife you used in the pic would also make short work of making the job look right with some all-purpose mud.

Pulled tight, stop the slopping around, and you could use a damp sponge to feather whats left with minimal sanding.

whatever...
That's three passes (one coat), one down each side, and one down the middle.
hdavis is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #57
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,721
Rewards Points: 3,906

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Good luck and you might wanna use the knife trick to check the joints all the time while taping and figure out how to do a better job.
X2 - that how I really learned how to get it right.
hdavis is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #58
New Guy
 
kodie's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Get your ass back there and feather out that **** if you ever want more work from that GC in the future. Don't pass the buck and walk away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Dude, sorry, did my post imply that? Even though we have no desire to work with this GC in the future, we're not attempting to 'pass the buck and walk away', just figure out the best course of action now. Believe it or not, we actually want the client to have good looking results. If our work is currently of such poor quality, then it stands to reason it would be in the client's best interest to bring in someone more highly skilled - which in the end could be the most logical, time and cost effective solution.
kodie is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodie For This Useful Post:
ECS_Ecentric (08-05-2017), hdavis (08-04-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #59
Pro
 
gbruzze1's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 1,518
Rewards Points: 2,608

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
Dude, sorry, did my post imply that? Even though we have no desire to work with this GC in the future, we're not attempting to 'pass the buck and walk away', just figure out the best course of action now. Believe it or not, we actually want the client to have good looking results. If our work is currently of such poor quality, then it stands to reason it would be in the client's best interest to bring in someone more highly skilled - which in the end could be the most logical, time and cost effective solution.


It's all cost effective to him. You're paying for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbruzze1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #60
Particulate Filter
 
Metro M & L's Avatar
 
Trade: Flooring
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 1,424

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
On the reg. sheet rocked walls, there are some uneven areas as well but does not appear to be as extensive as the soundbrd walls.

For the record, we never claimed or implied we were L5 finishers ever, and it was never asked of us. We don't inflate our skills to get a job -- but it does seem we unintentionally got in over our heads. Seeing the results of our work after painting is embarrassing and certainly not to the standards I expect of myself to provide our clients. At this point, we can only chalk this one up as a learning experience. I'm just trying to figure out how expensive it's going to be.

Got a text from the head GC's sub we are a sub for --wants us 'busting out the seams' on those soundbrds asap. I'm totally with ya'll that we are not the crew to do it and I don't want to touch it in anyway/shape/form and he needs top notch L5 for those walls. The other random wall areas, although I wish they were cleaner, have not been raised as an issue yet.

Straight up, this job was 45 boards incl the 2 soundbrd walls. Hanging & finishing the 2 conf rm walls inside & out. They never indicated any level finishing. $2500. We've been paid.

Once again we are very appreciative of all the feedback we've received here, thank you
Was that 2500 labor or 2500 labor and materials? Did you supply the board? Sounds pretty much going rate.

All the finishing except that one soundboard wall looks pretty par for the course.

Just feather out that one wall and repaint it. 3 days, 4 hours a day. Oh well.

Advertisement

__________________
"A smart man learns from his mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Metro M & L is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-05-2017)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porter Cable "Bammer" 15 ga Angled Finish JR Shepstone Tools & Equipment 7 03-11-2013 07:48 AM
Basement finish rex Construction 45 09-15-2012 03:53 PM
Bostich Cordless Angled Finish Nailer ? MF Custom Tools & Equipment 19 09-14-2012 10:08 PM
floor finish Pete'sfeets Painting & Finish Work 6 05-16-2012 07:14 PM
Odd Looking Floor Finish tccoggs Flooring 8 06-06-2010 11:52 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?