Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish? - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Rewards Points: 96

Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?

Here are before and after pictures, 4 weeks later. Really at a loss here - got a text from GC today saying 'disaster' w/ the attached finished room picture.

Short of it: What went wrong? How do we correct it so that the problem does not return? We've not run into this issue before and can't figure out what we did differently.

Long story:
The Project:
The room was a storage area attached to an office which they are converting to a conf room. Carpenter installed metal framing. We hung & finished the drywall. Pictures show pretty much the last day spent on this room.

We spent a lot of time making sure everything was smooth and flush incl inspecting closely w/ shining lights across every part of the walls to find imperfections. The weather at that time was consistently hot and humid. There was A/C running in the building, but there were days in the building that were quite warm and muggy - not all, but some. For the project, we had multiple box fans as well as two air movers. Only two overnights were we allowed to keep the fans on. Still, we were confident all mud dried completely before proceeding with next coats and/or sanding.

After completing this room, the GC inspected our work and gave us a big thumbs up. We were on site the next few days doing patchwork in another area, so we were able to check on our work even after the completion - no problems were noted. Also, we were able to talk to the painter a few days after who inspected the walls and also was impressed, didn't have anything for us to correct.

What went wrong? How do we correct it so that the problem does not return? We've not run into this issue before and can't figure out what we did differently.

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-20170707_165335.jpg

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-20170707_165318.jpg

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-20170707_164935.jpg

Help! - why seams bubbled 3+ weeks after finish?-itc-seam-bubble.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,090

Re: Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?

Not much to see from pictures but it looks kinda sloppy. No offense. Everyone who gave thumbs up did so before there was light shining across glossy paint. There's a window right up against the wall. That wall needs to be level 5 by a top notch drywaller if you don't want to see joints.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-02-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,050

Poor bond to the board. (not that that told you anything) I'll see that when the mud is thinned too much.

Blue board? No trouble on the regular boards?
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

I think that wall got somehow overlooked before the paint. The pattern that's telegraphed is identical to the mud edges in the second pic. (I'm looking at the seam left of the two receptacles, for reference). Blame the new guy.

Last edited by MarkJames; 08-02-2017 at 06:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
New Guy

hdavis - apparently some regular boards also, but will see at tomorrow's visit
Old 08-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Not much to see from pictures but it looks kinda sloppy. No offense. Everyone who gave thumbs up did so before there was light shining across glossy paint. There's a window right up against the wall. That wall needs to be level 5 by a top notch drywaller if you don't want to see joints.
No offense taken, always open to education and what you evaluate as 'sloppy'. Correct, the GC/painter inspected before paint applied, but also knowledgeable based on their own experience and would have recognize a poor job, I assume - perhaps incorrectly?

My understanding of level 5: "...refers to drywall that has been taped, first and second coated, and sanded lightly to remove tool marks before applying a thin skim coat to the entire surface including the seams and field. The skim coat is sanded lightly and checked with a halogen light to look for any imperfections..." That is the method applied to this project.

Just prior to this job, we completed a residential ceiling (finish only) and were able to view it after the owner painted - it was smooth. Just sayin', each job is different though.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Poor bond to the board. (not that that told you anything) I'll see that when the mud is thinned too much.

Blue board? No trouble on the regular boards?
hdavis - apparently some regular boards also, but will see at tomorrow's visit
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
New Guy

Appreciate all of your comments. Suggestions for correction at this point?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
Just prior to this job, we completed a residential ceiling (finish only) and were able to view it after the owner painted - it was smooth. Just sayin', each job is different though.
First off, B Johnson is spot on.

Secondly, again, just like Johnson said, what shows on a ceiling is completely different from what shows on a wall.

You are double-damned on that job. You got vertical seams AND a shiner light running close to the wall from the window - just the same as a spotter lamp would do.

The link below is to a CT member's vids. Look at how wide he runs the joints.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mooredrywall/videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (08-03-2017), kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
John the Builder

"Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?"

I just have to correct some of your thinking.

Those seams didn't bubble. They are exactly the same as the day they were sanded. They didn't swell, the didn't lift, they didn't change one bit.

When somebody says "bubble" it implies that the compound is somehow lifting or popping. And that isn't the case here.

You asked what the course of correction would be, and my answer would be to get a damned wide knife, some all purpose mud and take those seams out another 12 inches either side of center.

And, for God's sakes, learn to make Looong strokes with the knife. Those seams look like somebody was frosting a cake - little short dauber strokes.

Again, watch Moore's vids to see how simple adjustments in handling the knife and sliding the mud on can change things.

He's damned good.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (08-03-2017), Big Shoe (08-04-2017), griz (08-05-2017), Gumshoe (08-03-2017), kodie (08-02-2017), SuperiorHIP (08-04-2017), TimNJ (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
"Help! - Why Seams Bubbled 3+ Weeks After Finish?"

I just have to correct some of your thinking.

Those seams didn't bubble. They are exactly the same as the day they were sanded. They didn't swell, the didn't lift, they didn't change one bit.

When somebody says "bubble" it implies that the compound is somehow lifting or popping. And that isn't the case here.

You asked what the course of correction would be, and my answer would be to get a damned wide knife, some all purpose mud and take those seams out another 12 inches either side of center.

And, for God's sakes, learn to make Looong strokes with the knife. Those seams look like somebody was frosting a cake - little short dauber strokes.

Again, watch Moore's vids to see how simple adjustments in handling the knife and sliding the mud on can change things.

He's damned good.
I checked out the videos, thank you for the link. 'Bubbled' came from the GC but I agree with you that it not have actually 'lifted'. We'll find out the situation tomorrow and come back here with more info.

We really appreciate all the responses and receiving feedback so quickly here on this forum.

Last edited by kodie; 08-02-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie View Post
My understanding of level 5: "...refers to drywall that has been taped, first and second coated, and sanded lightly to remove tool marks before applying a thin skim coat to the entire surface including the seams and field. The skim coat is sanded lightly and checked with a halogen light to look for any imperfections..." That is the method applied to this project.
That's going to take more than a light sanding to get it to level 5.

Chances are the drywall finisher did an onion skin (if anything), not an actual thin skim.

Since you don't know whether or not it bubbled, it looks to me like someone just humped up the seams and then gave a light sanding.
kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:

Bust it out until you don't see light under the wide knife edge. I think 12" is probably wishful thinking.

Last edited by hdavis; 08-02-2017 at 08:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (08-07-2017), kodie (08-03-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Pro

Keep in mind, both Moore and I have run into boards that have a hump next to the tapered edge. If you run into those, it takes a lot more to get the seam flatish.
kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #15
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Bust it out until you don't see light under the wide knife edge. I think 12" is probably wishful thinking.
That would be a total of 24" - 1/2 the width a sheet...
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,764

This is why I don't finish drywall. For all the featherin, screwin, sandin, mixin, eyeballin and all the return trips hell you might as well plaster the SOB.

I'm a screwdriver wrench and hammer man....not a marathon artist
Gumshoe (08-03-2017), kodie (08-03-2017), sparehair (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpenter/joiner
Rewards Points: 372

With the critical lighting through that window the board should have been hung horizontal. And a full skim would not hurt either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walraven For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (08-07-2017), kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #18
Pro

Skim coating the whole sheet is used to even out the texture and sheen between the paper and the mudded (joints, corners, screws) parts, it won't help with ridges and could make the job look worse if you don't know what you're doing.

My advice is to find a really good drywaller in your area and hire him to fix it. You're going to be screwing around with this job until Christmas if you don't. Again, no offense just trying to save you a lot of aggravation, stress and time.

Not sure why you hung vertical??? The only reason I can think is because the ceiling was an odd height and would have required 2 horizontal tapered joints.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (08-07-2017), kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #19
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walraven View Post
With the critical lighting through that window the board should have been hung horizontal. And a full skim would not hurt either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Not sure why you hung vertical??? The only reason I can think is because the ceiling was an odd height and would have required 2 horizontal tapered joints.
In one pic you can just make out the metal grid for ceiling.

It's commercial.
Metal studs.
Board gets hung vertical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (08-03-2017), kodie (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
In one pic you can just make out the metal grid for ceiling.

It's commercial.
Metal studs.
Board gets hung vertical.
I noticed it was commercial by the slab and Windows, the carpet sealed the deal. Why do metal studs require the drywall to be hung different?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-03-2017)