Glue And Screw Drywall - Page 2 - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Glue And Screw Drywall

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,267
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
Lazy? Your clueless to say the least! Bring yourself down here for a bit and see if you can make a living gluing and screwing. I worked in the drywall business for 7 years and I'm purty darn sure I've seen alot more drywall stuck to the wall than you and it hasnt been glued.
Clueless...I don't think so. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead and think what you want.

If I were down there, I would find a way to make a living gluing and screwing, or I wouldn't do it. It's just a matter of knowing how to sell it. If you are not sold yourself on the benefit, then you will never be able to sell it to your clients.

When it gets down to it, it's not the gluing and screwing that's the problem, it's the low wage illegal workers that drive the cost down to where guys are willing to sacrifice quality to stay in business.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (12-25-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
Pro
 
Big Shoe's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,417
Rewards Points: 1,916

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Nobody glues drywall here.....nada........never.......glue.........what 's that...........
Big Shoe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shoe For This Useful Post:
glkirk (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #23
Ancient Rocker
 
Ancient Rocker's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall hanger
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aurora Illinois 60506
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 97

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


I have been using glue for 41 years and discovered the only people who don't glue just don't know any better. Common sense eludes way too many "professional" hangers.
Ancient Rocker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
PRO
 
BrandConst's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Clueless...I don't think so. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead and think what you want.

If I were down there, I would find a way to make a living gluing and screwing, or I wouldn't do it. It's just a matter of knowing how to sell it. If you are not sold yourself on the benefit, then you will never be able to sell it to your clients.

When it gets down to it, it's not the gluing and screwing that's the problem, it's the low wage illegal workers that drive the cost down to where guys are willing to sacrifice quality to stay in business.

You don't know how things work down here just like I don't know how things work up there so it's a little out of line to say something is lazy. I'm fairly sure if a hurricane blew into Obamaville, IL there would be nothing left.
BrandConst is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,267
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
You don't know how things work down here just like I don't know how things work up there so it's a little out of line to say something is lazy. I'm fairly sure if a hurricane blew into Obamaville, IL there would be nothing left.
Funny you say that, I grew up in the Dallas area. All my family lives in around or near Dallas/Ft. Worth. We had to replace my grandparents ceiling because it was falling down from cracks and nail pops. Never would have happened if it were glued and screwed.

I have not seen a house that we owned or any family or friend that didn't have pops all over the ceiling and walls. It's just what you get when you don't do it right.

But what does Hurricanes that have to do with gluing drywall? One has nothing to do with the other. You were saying that you couldn't be competitive using glue, not that it was weather related. That's not apples to apples, more of a strawman argument. Put it up so that you can knock it down.

I know that it is the right thing to do. It is not that much more cost, and the benefit is well worth the expense. But I guess if all one is worried about is getting in and out, then that way of thinking works.

And I wish they required more structural reinforcement here. I know that we experience more tornadoes than you do hurricanes.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Box Builder
 
Morning Wood's Avatar
 
Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rockport, MA
Posts: 6,057
Rewards Points: 9,732

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


What do u glue the drywall with? You gluing it to strapping or right to studs and joists? Is it a pain to pull drywall that has been glued or do u use a glue that comes off easily like silicone or something? What about blueboard? U guys glue blueboard that is getting base coated and skim coated?
Morning Wood is online now  
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #27
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,267
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
What do u glue the drywall with? You gluing it to strapping or right to studs and joists? Is it a pain to pull drywall that has been glued or do u use a glue that comes off easily like silicone or something? What about blueboard? U guys glue blueboard that is getting base coated and skim coated?
1) Liquid Nails, or PL
2) Whatever you are fastening to
3) Yes, but when anything is built right it shouldn't be easy to take apart
4) Blueboard is a mold/midlew resistant product, never used it, but Holmes loves the stuff.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (12-25-2011), country_huck (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
PRO
 
BrandConst's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Funny you say that, I grew up in the Dallas area. All my family lives in around or near Dallas/Ft. Worth. We had to replace my grandparents ceiling because it was falling down from cracks and nail pops. Never would have happened if it were glued and screwed.

I have not seen a house that we owned or any family or friend that didn't have pops all over the ceiling and walls. It's just what you get when you don't do it right.

But what does Hurricanes that have to do with gluing drywall? One has nothing to do with the other. You were saying that you couldn't be competitive using glue, not that it was weather related. That's not apples to apples, more of a strawman argument. Put it up so that you can knock it down.

I know that it is the right thing to do. It is not that much more cost, and the benefit is well worth the expense. But I guess if all one is worried about is getting in and out, then that way of thinking works.

And I wish they required more structural reinforcement here. I know that we experience more tornadoes than you do hurricanes.
What hurricanes have to do is your implication of lowering quality. it's baseless and probably something expected of you and the arrogance you exhibit.

I use to be a PM for the 3rd largest restoration company in the U.S. and have yet to see drywall glued when ripping it out after water damage or fire damage and I've been all over the country doing it.

I'm not saying people don't do it but I can tell you right now it's not a standard application at all. Which is why I go back to the point I made earlier....don't accuse people of being lazy because they don't do it like you or it seems useless to do to them.

Have you ever had to pull damaged sheetrock off of a stud that it was glued to?
BrandConst is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandConst For This Useful Post:
glkirk (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Ancient Rocker
 
Ancient Rocker's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall hanger
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aurora Illinois 60506
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 97

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


The Naperville boys are correct. When hanging drywall the intent is to fasten it as well as possible so it is a pain in the ass to remove. It is called quality.
Ancient Rocker is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #30
PRO
 
BrandConst's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Rocker View Post
The Naperville boys are correct. When hanging drywall the intent is to fasten it as well as possible so it is a pain in the ass to remove. It is called quality.
maybe in illinois
BrandConst is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandConst For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (12-26-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Ancient Rocker
 
Ancient Rocker's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall hanger
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aurora Illinois 60506
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 97

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
maybe in illinois
In Texas it is better to be able to take off drywall than be fastened correctly? Wow, is that awful.
Ancient Rocker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ancient Rocker For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #32
PRO
 
BrandConst's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Rocker View Post
In Texas it is better to be able to take off drywall than be fastened correctly? Wow, is that awful.
I built my house 11 years ago and to this day it hasnt one nail pop and I live 5 miles from galveston bay. The standard around here is nailing the perimeter and screwing the field. If you read my posts before I'm not attacking anyones way of installing rock, my two points are:

-it's not the standard application nor is it required by any manufacturer so don't call someone lazy for not doing it.

-second, have you ever had to tear off rock that was glued?
BrandConst is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandConst For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (12-26-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #33
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,267
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
What hurricanes have to do is your implication of lowering quality. it's baseless and probably something expected of you and the arrogance you exhibit.

I use to be a PM for the 3rd largest restoration company in the U.S. and have yet to see drywall glued when ripping it out after water damage or fire damage and I've been all over the country doing it.

I'm not saying people don't do it but I can tell you right now it's not a standard application at all. Which is why I go back to the point I made earlier....don't accuse people of being lazy because they don't do it like you or it seems useless to do to them.

Have you ever had to pull damaged sheetrock off of a stud that it was glued to?
What you see as arrogance, I see as confidence.

Hurricane straps and glue serve a purpose. Hurricane strapping is a method used to secure structures during hurricanes. As you sarcastically pointed out, we don't suffer from hurricanes. While I agree standards should be higher in Tornado alley, it just not the same analogy, and here's why. All homes suffer from different expansion and contraction rates from different materials. Gravity is the same in Texas as it is in Illinois. The purpose of gluing drywall is universal and benefits all drywall jobs.

I still think it lazy not to glue the drywall. You have not presented any other real argument against the use.

1) I can not be competitive in the market. (Just because we don't know a way to do something, doesn't mean that a way does not exist. That's close minded thinking that will leave you in the back of the line looking at those that are moving forward.)

2) You see it as useless. (The word useless means, "with out use". The use is simple and elementary. It prevents cracking, nail pops, and ads strength to the structure.

3) It is not a standard practice. (If you are waiting for things to be standard practice, I guess minimum code is good enough as well?)

It's unfortunate that you would consider the removal of something when installing it. That is backwards and definitely lazy thinking. All you do is remove the drywall and scrape off the glue. I install things to last and not be easily removed. I hope you don't do tile.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,212
Rewards Points: 1,465

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Peace on Earth, good will to men... men. .

If someone has drywall hanging procedures that make it a sufficiently strong and durable job, omitting extra steps that make it "overbuilt" is not laziness. It's just good practical and business sense.

One of the biggest challenges we face in our search for excellence is learning to recognize when things do and don't matter.
Tinstaafl is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
TBFGhost (12-26-2011), Tom Struble (12-26-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,598
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Cmon guys... Its Christmas day, don't argue
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #36
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,267
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


I just guess I wouldn't consider fixing a common problem "over built". Seriously, what does it cost in extra time and material? Maybe a buck a sheet in glue, and all of about 15 seconds. Now that seems like good and practical business sense!
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Ancient Rocker (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #37
Designer/Contractor
 
Rio's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego city/County, Cali
Posts: 3,162
Rewards Points: 2,118

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Merry Christmas but ixnay on the need for gluing drywall in addition to screwing it. If it's screwed correctly I don't see the need to be gluing it also; now for putting down floor sheathing, yeah, construction adhesive and screwnails are the ticket to a stiff diaphragm.....
Rio is online now  
Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #38
pro
 
country_huck's Avatar
 
Trade: Capenter/ Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 850
Rewards Points: 768

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Seriously, what does it cost in extra time and material? Maybe a buck a sheet in glue, and all of about 15 seconds. Now that seems like good and practical business sense!
I mean thats pennies comparied to coming back and fixing nail pops and cracking.
country_huck is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #39
Member
 
sevonty's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 75
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


I am not trying to attack anyone only try to understand what I do not as those who do not glue are pros and the brst way to learn is from other pros.
That being said,The purpose of glueing floor is to prevent squekes and nail pops also adding to structure stregth. if it is a ceiling on a 2 story house wher there is floor above would the board hung below not be subjected to the same stress and issues of deflection as the floor above? If the ceiling is to a attic space does the non climate controled attic still not change tempeture and humitity almost at the same rate as the outside, causeing the trusses/ ceiling joist to expand and contract? Over time would these forces not have an effect on the statinary nail/screws in a ever moving joist/truss?
would glue not defend against these forces longer then nothing?
sevonty is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #40
Pro
 
JesseCocozza's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 865
Rewards Points: 810

Re: Glue And Screw Drywall


I guess it really depends on where your working and what kind of engineering is required on the structure. Around here, no one relies on drywall to act as your diaphragm. I know it acts as one when screwed to your ceiling joists / trusses / rafters, but all those framing members are strapped, blocked, braced and inspected before drywall goes up. I would say gluing is a great extra step if all you're doing is nailing it, but I would venture to say the the vast majority screws their rock here. As for the expansion and contraction bit, I can't help to picture what happens to vinyl siding when you set the nail tight rather than leaving it proud for movement. Wouldn't the glue inhibit movement and cause cracking if you're bonding two materials that are subjected to movement?

Advertisement

JesseCocozza is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?